Help!! My Cats Got Leukemia!?

danielle93x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my vets at the moment and I could really do with some advise? My female cat has a urine infection shes less than 2 years old and whilst having her wee tested to find out what type of urine infection it was they informed me that she probably has leukemia as she has no white blood cells in her wee.

When they were telling me how to get a wee sample they mentioned the test had to be done within 12 hours of her having the wee and that refrigerating it after 12 hours will not work as the cells begin to die so it absolutely had to be tested on the day!! My cats wee was not tested until Monday lunch time about 60 hours after dropping it off (it was already 8 hours old by the time we got it to them), so we're talking 68 hours to test it, even though they clearly said it needs testing within 12 hours.

I've made it clear that I'm not happy with the test as I wonder if the white blood cells may have died due to the wee being so old but at the same time they are telling me they won't retest because as her vet we should trust them........... I've offered to pay for a lab to do the test which is £90, including the vet taking the wee from her bladder using a needle to make sure it's 100% pure.

What should I do in this situation?

They've given my cat 2 weeks worth of antibiotics and want to start the process of treatment for leukemia... they told me if I force them to do the urine test it has to be in 3 weeks time, a week after the last of the antibiotics. I feel like I'm being forced into believing my young cat is seriously ill and going to die soon without what I believe to be sufficient evidence....

Thanks so much in advance!!

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They can’t say ‘probably’ has leukaemia and treat her for it without even knowing for sure!! This is so bad I’m sorry you are going through this. Definitely go to another vet

Beachcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get a referral from friends, neighbors, coworkers to another vet. Good luck

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
:hellosmiley:and :welcomesign: to TCS. I'm sorry it is under such distressful conditions. I really can't add much to what everyone has written before me because I agree with them that you need a second opinion. No vet worth his degree would recommend beginning treatment for leukemia without running additional tests and obtaining a definitive positive result. At the very least, he should have suggested running blood work considering that leukemia is a disease of the blood.

This article from the Cornell Feline Health Center will give you a lot more information on feline leukemia. (FeLV). Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV)

Fingers crossed that your kitty is fine! :crossfingers::crossfingers: