Help, My Cat Won't Use The Litter Box Anymore

Mojoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had Gracie for over six years without any difficulties, but lately she's decided that she doesn't want to use the litter box consistently anymore. Now she pees right outside of the litter box and on a few occasions she's pooped out in the living room. I tried getting a new litter box, an open one instead of the old one I had with a top on it. At first, I thought maybe things were improving but she's gone right back to peeing on the floor. I don't know how to train them--I thought they just sort of knew what to do instinctively--but I'm getting near my wit's end with this. I would welcome any suggestions you might have.

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat does this on occasion. The first time was when she wasn't feeling well, and then I think the smell of it kept bringing her back.

I would make sure to clear it with your vet to ensure that this is behavioral, and not a medical problem. Then, make sure you wash all of the spots she has used REALLY well. Even if we can't smell it, they might be able to, and it will signal to them that it's an okay place to go. Nature's Miracle is highly recommended around here, and I actually just picked some up, myself.

Also, have you changed the litter recently, or have there been any other changes in her environment/routine lately?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go back and think of anything that's been changed. If there is nothing, then take your cat to the vet. My cat is six years old and has had a UTI three times in about as many years. UTIs are way too easy to fix for it be allowed to escalate into something severe. So you should definitely get your cat into a vet, especially if there's any signs of pain while urinating or blood in the urine. Once you know it's not medical, then you can start trying to fix the behavior.

Memnoch

Beautiful Cat
Kitten
Purraise
Same, my cat Memnoch had a problem with this case, we try some things (don't remember) but that didn't work at all so 3 days later we go to the veterinary. Like Animal Freak Animal Freak said, Its can be an urine infection.