Help My cat suddenly has a swollen face and when I touch the lump it's hard

Stembar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
40 minutes ago my cat was fine but now he has a very swollen cheek and it feels hard on touch like it is bone or something
My vet is. It available and there are no other vets open for urgencies
20200521_000124.jpg
20200521_000216.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if he has an abscess. Has he gotten into a fight that you are aware of? The next photo looks like a puncture wound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stembar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if he has an abscess. Has he gotten into a fight that you are aware of?
No, he was literally eating like an hour ago and then he came downstairs again with his face all swollen

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
No, he was literally eating like an hour ago and then he came downstairs again with his face all swollen

Is it warm to the touch? Localized swelling sounds like an abscess and those can feel hard. Abscesses can come very quickly and can be caused by fighting or allergies. That one photo does look like a claw wound. Does he go outdoors?

Last edited:

Stembar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it warm to the touch? Localized swelling sounds like an abscess and those can feel hard. Abscesses can come very quickly and can be caused by fighting or allergies. That one photo does look like a claw wound. Does he go outdoors?
Yes its warm to touch, no none of my cats go outdoors and i didnt hear him fight with anyone

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes its warm to touch, no none of my cats go outdoors and i didnt hear him fight with anyone

Warm to the touch sounds like an abscess, which means he has an infection going on under his skin. Is it possible that one of your other cats gave him a good swat? I know most cats will open an abscess by themselves if they can reach it- but your vet should be able to drain it and treat him with antibiotics.

Stembar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Warm to the touch sounds like an abscess, which means he has an infection going on under his skin. Is it possible that one of your other cats gave him a good swat? I know most cats will open an abscess by themselves if they can reach it- but your vet should be able to drain it and treat him with antibiotics.
Should I put him a cone meanwhile? my vet is available in about 12 hours, im worried it was very sudden the swollen, I have a pic of him yesterday and there was no swelling, is it an urgency?
Sorry for so many questions im really worried for him.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I put him a cone meanwhile? my vet is available in about 12 hours, im worried it was very sudden the swollen, I have a pic of him yesterday and there was no swelling, is it an urgency?
Sorry for so many questions im really worried for him.
s

I have had many cats who have opened their own abscesses before I could get them to a vet. He may open it tonight before you get him to your vet. I would still take him to the vet to make sure that is thoroughly drained and that he can get antibiotics and pain meds. Once it is lanced, or if he opens it himself, there is usually great relief felt because the pressure is gone. Abscesses can come on very quickly but they are usually not life threatening. (If they were, no intact outdoor tomcat would ever see his second year.)

I would still recommend a vet visit to relieve him of any pain and to also make sure the pus is completely drained.

Last edited:

Stembar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the moment Vet opens ill be there, thank you for your replies im feeling more calmed now, if he opens the abcess should I do something?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the moment Vet opens ill be there, thank you for your replies im feeling more calmed now, if he opens the abcess should I do something?

No, I would let it drain and take him to the vet as planned. If he opens it himself there is really little you could do and the vet will know what antibiotics and pain meds to give him. Please let me know how everything goes at the vet's.

I am glad I could be of some help- its not easy being a feline parent. :)

Stembar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I would let it drain and take him to the vet as planned. If he opens it himself there is really little you could do and the vet will know what antibiotics and pain meds to give him. Please let me know how everything goes at the vet's.

I am glad I could be of some help- its not easy being a feline parent. :)
Of course ill let you know what the diagnostic is. Thank you so much for your help

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your kitty doing?

Last edited:

Stembar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is your kitty doing?
HI again we just got back from the vet she was very busy today
As you said, he opened it during the night and bled a bit.
But now the vet drained it and he has to go 3 days for antibiotic shots
That's him last night and today
Thank you so much for asking 😸

Attachments

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
And thank you so much for updating me. He is a darling kitty and so lucky to have a friend like you.