Help my Cat is sick

LoriJean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my kitten for a few months now. He has had respiratory problems ever since I got him. I took him to the vet, they said he probably had URI, he got prescribed antibiotics. He got a little better, but not completely. Still had his sneezing attacks with big sometimes hard, sometimes slimmy mucus sneezing out. At first it was green, now it's mostly blooding. I then went and had him spayed with his shots. Then a few weeks later he started getting bad again. Shallow breathing, wheezing, nasal discharge, so I took him back to the vet. He got a stronger antibiotic and a steroid. During the exam the vet asked if I had him tested for feline leukemia or feline AIDS. I said no, he said it's $88 to test. I said I'll see how he is after these antibiotics. Well since then, my mind has been reeling about what the vet asked me. I can't get it out of my mind. I went ahead and ordered the test online, only $12. Now I just have to figure out how to get the blood sample to take the test. Well he's almost done with the 10 days he's supposed to be on this antibiotic, he is still sneezing out gobs of bloody , mucus, the having the shallow breathing, and wheezing and congestion. Anybody have any suggestions of what I should do. I am at a stand still with him taking the test,I need to get the blood sample and I guess I'm a little scared at what the test results should be. Im not taking him back to get, to me the vet is like a car dealership. They can get away with telling you anything just so they can get the money in their hand. Any suggestions on how to get that blood sample? Thanks

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There is no way you can get the blood sample yourself at home. Drawing blood from cats is not as easy as it looks and if done wrong you can kill them. If you had a newborn at home and needed to get a blood sample for some testing, would you try to do it at home yourself? Probably not. Also you would have to imagine that newborn with hair and fur snd tiny veins that jump when the needle touches them.

I have to do blood work often on my cat, and I have worked in vet hospitals for over 30 years, and still drive my cat 1 hour, each way to take her into the vet hospital for bloodwork. I can draw blood on cats by myself and still would never try to do that to my own cat at home.
They do, or did make feline leukemia saliva tests.

It sounds like you need a different vet. Look for a cat only practice.

Your cat does sound very sick, if sneezing blood and does need to be seen by a vet.