Help! My Cat Has Opened Her Spay Incision!

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Maisy was spayed Monday, August 21st. Everything went well and she went home with a cone. I noticed her appetite went down a bit.. i thought maybe the cone was making it hard to eat. I took her cone off on the 28th for 15 minutes and by the time I opened the can of wet food she had somehow opened her stitches. I decided to wait 2 days for the followup appt. her cone has been on since! Im terrified to remove it... The incision looked worse the next day so I rushed her to the vets and he put her on antibiotics. She had her first dose last night and one this morning.. the vet mentioned she might need another surgery.. can anybody tell me if she will be able to heal even if her incisin is open a bit? Ive been putting triple antibiotic ointment on the incisin. It looks like theres pus (not sure if it's the ointment or not?) anybody know how much the surgery would cost? Im kind of freaking out because we are going to be moving to another province in 3 days and If things get worse we will have to find an emergency vet.. any guidance is much appreciated i have been sick to my stomach for three days now.. i hope shes ok... ill upload photo of incisin today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heres the incision..

Attachments

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't put anything on it not approved by your vet. If your vet gave you the antibiotic cream then it's fine.

I don't know about another surgery. It would help if you include the country you're in.

Hoping no surgery is needed. Your vet should be able to refer you to a vet where you are moving.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally they just need staples, not surgery :dunno:.

After 7-10 days it should be pretty much fully healed on the outside. Most vets remove the stitches after that long. So I think she should be OK. To me it looks like he folded the skin on itself and stitched, and the fold is what has come undone. My vet stitches them like that too so I've seen it myself. It doesn't look infected to me, although since the vet saw her in person I'll defer to his opinion on that. Can you see anything that looks like her insides, or does it just look like skin?