Help! Mom Cat Looking For Dead Kittens

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we let a friendly stray give birth in our flat on August 14, 2018. When the kittens were about 5 weeks old, the mom cat (Yogi) had a fight with the crows. She came back home bloodied and aggressive. After that, there was a sudden change in her behaviour. She would suddenly hiss and pounce on us and did not let us into the kitchen. So the local animal rescue took her off, along with the kittens (biggest mistake IMHO). They separated the mom and the kittens.Of the 5, 1 was already adopted and we brought 2 back home.

The kittens apparently contracted FCV from the shelter, and much to my utmost grief, they both passed away yesterday morning at the vet's.

Today morning, the shelter left Yogi back here in our locality. It's been 10 days, but she hasn't forgotten her kittens. They have spayed her, but she continues to remember them. Her constant meows calling for her kittens is killing me. Also, the shelter does not seem to have addressed her sudden aggression issue.

Please help. What do I do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feliway, I think... Or some similiar comforting agent.

YOU comforting is important, but Im sure you are doing it the whole time...

Does she has still the aggression outburst? If not, perhaps someone else to protect and take care of could help.
Ie a little orphan.

Possibly a doll / furry toy animal could help some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do want to comfort her, but her aggression hasn't gone yet. I'm scared of her. I so badly want to put my arm around her and comfort her and grieve with her, but she is very ferocious now. She just isn't the same Yogi I use to know before the Crow Incident.

Also, Feliway isn't available here. The other residents too are complaining about her constant meowing.

TL DR; I'm too scared to comfort her. She's becoming a 'nuisance' for the other apartment residents.

Help.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is scared out of her mind, the incident happened when she was in full maternal mode and will take a long time to leave her. She is having redirected aggression now, because she is bewildered and needs an outlet to let her aggression out. Since she is spayed now, she should start to settle down, she is just now getting over the pain of the surgery, what humans did to her, and the emotional pain of losing her babies. It may take up to a month for the hormones to leave her body.
After kittens leave, the mamas do grieve and call out for about two weeks. She may take a little longer because of her fight and the mark it left on her. Is there any way to temporarily keep her in a room at your place? she needs a 'safe' place to stay in, where it is calm and you can sit quietly with her until she calms down. It will almost be like starting over with a feral cat. She needs understanding and quiet. A place to hide in would be good too. If you can't take her in can you provide her with a little box and a blanket in a quiet place? Just be there for now, talk soothingly to her and offer treats. She's been traumatised and needs understanding badly. She WILL come around, please keep us posted!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hearty welcome to TCS Padma. I'm sorry you are facing such a difficult time with your adopted cat Yogi. I admire your generosity and kindness. I cannot add any thoughts to di and bob's excellent recommendations but wish to draw your attention to the fact that Feliway can be bought on line. Google proposes several optional providers.

Yogi is very fortunate to be able to count on your understanding and care.

Last edited:

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is scared out of her mind, the incident happened when she was in full maternal mode and will take a long time to leave her. She is having redirected aggression now, because she is bewildered and needs an outlet to let her aggression out. Since she is spayed now, she should start to settle down, she is just now getting over the pain of the surgery, what humans did to her, and the emotional pain of losing her babies. It may take up to a month for the hormones to leave her body.
After kittens leave, the mamas do grieve and call out for about two weeks. She may take a little longer because of her fight and the mark it left on her. Is there any way to temporarily keep her in a room at your place? she needs a 'safe' place to stay in, where it is calm and you can sit quietly with her until she calms down. It will almost be like starting over with a feral cat. She needs understanding and quiet. A place to hide in would be good too. If you can't take her in can you provide her with a little box and a blanket in a quiet place? Just be there for now, talk soothingly to her and offer treats. She's been traumatised and needs understanding badly. She WILL come around, please keep us posted!
Hi di and Bob

Thanks for the excellent advice. Yogi is still meowing (it's been a good 10 hours since she came home) but seems to be calming down a bit. She is still very much aggressive though and as much as I want to calm her, I'm a little scared as well. We have provided some wet food her near the apartment's parking area.

She already has some favourite spots here as she is from this locality. I just hope she calms down overnight.

I am yet to get over the loss of the kittens myself but it must be hard as a mother, whatever may be the species.

Will keep you guys posted.

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A hearty welcome to TCS Padma. I'm sorry you are facing such a difficult time with your adopted cat Yogi. I admire your generosity and kindness. I cannot add any thoughts to di and bob's excellent recommendations but wish to draw your attention to the fact that Feliway can be bought on line. Google proposes several optional providers.

Yogi is very fortunate to be able to count on your understanding and care.
Thank you, Golondrina. I'll look it up on Amazon. Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly does Feliway work?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Padma herewith some info on Feliway that I am quoting from Google:

"WHAT IS FELIWAY AND HOW DOES IT WORK?

Have you heard of Feliway? If you have cats and you don't know about it, it's worth your while to take a few minutes to learn about.

What Is Feliway?
Feliway is a product that mimics a chemical that cats emit through the glands on their faces when they are feeling calm and want to communicate that to other cats in the area. This pheromone works on cats' brains to calm them down and help relieve stress and anxiety. As an analog of this special calming pheromone, Feliway can also help cats feel peaceful.

Two Types of Feliway
There are two Feliway formulations. The first, original Feliway, mimics the facial pheromones that cats leave when they rub on things. It produces calm feelings in cats and is ideal for the following types of situations:

• Urinating outside the litter box caused by stress or territorialism
  • Inappropriate scratching
  • Stress related to moving, traveling, or remodeling
  • Nerves related to veterinary or groomer visits
This Feliway formulation is available in a diffuser or a spray.

One diffuser can cover about 700 square feet of open space in your home, and it's great to put them in areas where your cat spends the most time and in areas where inappropriate behavior is occurring. Be sure to plug the diffuser in where it will not be obstructed, where there is good airflow, and where it won't be near an open window. Don't place it behind furniture or cupboards, where its effects will be blocked.

The Feliway spray is great for spraying inside a cat's carrier before leaving for a car ride, to help the kitty travel more calmly. It can also be sprayed on furniture that's being scratched inappropriately or on carpet or other surfaces that are being urinated on, after a thorough cleaning. You should test it on an inconspicuous area first.

The second formulation, Feline Multicat, is available in a diffuser, and it mimics the feline facial pheromone that mother cats emit to calm their kittens. It's ideal for use in situations where cats in a home are being aggressive toward one another."

I hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes.

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Padma herewith some info on Feliway that I am quoting from Google:

"WHAT IS FELIWAY AND HOW DOES IT WORK?

Have you heard of Feliway? If you have cats and you don't know about it, it's worth your while to take a few minutes to learn about.

What Is Feliway?
Feliway is a product that mimics a chemical that cats emit through the glands on their faces when they are feeling calm and want to communicate that to other cats in the area. This pheromone works on cats' brains to calm them down and help relieve stress and anxiety. As an analog of this special calming pheromone, Feliway can also help cats feel peaceful.

Two Types of Feliway
There are two Feliway formulations. The first, original Feliway, mimics the facial pheromones that cats leave when they rub on things. It produces calm feelings in cats and is ideal for the following types of situations:

• Urinating outside the litter box caused by stress or territorialism
  • Inappropriate scratching
  • Stress related to moving, traveling, or remodeling
  • Nerves related to veterinary or groomer visits
This Feliway formulation is available in a diffuser or a spray.

One diffuser can cover about 700 square feet of open space in your home, and it's great to put them in areas where your cat spends the most time and in areas where inappropriate behavior is occurring. Be sure to plug the diffuser in where it will not be obstructed, where there is good airflow, and where it won't be near an open window. Don't place it behind furniture or cupboards, where its effects will be blocked.

The Feliway spray is great for spraying inside a cat's carrier before leaving for a car ride, to help the kitty travel more calmly. It can also be sprayed on furniture that's being scratched inappropriately or on carpet or other surfaces that are being urinated on, after a thorough cleaning. You should test it on an inconspicuous area first.

The second formulation, Feline Multicat, is available in a diffuser, and it mimics the feline facial pheromone that mother cats emit to calm their kittens. It's ideal for use in situations where cats in a home are being aggressive toward one another."

I hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes.
Thank you, Golondrina. I checked it out online and it takes about 3 weeks to reach my place :-(

Anyway, she has eaten the food we gave her. She began meowing again after that. Right now, she's meowing outside our utility door. We would love to let her in, but she is still very aggressive.

Some neighbours said they'll be able to find a proper home, which would be great for her. I'd miss her terribly, but I think she'll be better off living with someone who can take better care of her.

Will keep you guys updated.

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone

Here's an update. We let Yogi in after a lot of meowing, with a lot of apprehension. The result: she did not let go of my dad and delayed him for work by 45 minutes. She slept on my dad's feet and lovingly clasped her paws across his ankle. "I've missed you a lot, human!" She seemed to say!

I did get my fair share of rubbing too. She is still upset about losing her kittens, but she appears to calm down when we are there.

Thank you all for supporting me in this regard. Loads of love!

Here's a picture of Yogi during better times. She's now very thin, but I hope to get her back on track!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Padma, thanks for this promising update. It would seem that the nightmare is over for you and for Yogi.. Thanks for giving her another opportunity to return to her old lovable self. Please keep in touch.