Help! Minx is grieving

ashleigh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Its been a couple of weeks since Indie was put to sleep, and Minx (his sister) is still very quiet. She was always by my side and slept on my bed and now won't even come upstairs. Indie spent his last few days here downstairs which is where she sleeps now. Also as bonkers as it sounds on lounge I put a post about Indies spirit being here (we think) is that why she won't come upstairs? Also, she lets me stroke her but at times it's like she is pushing me away, I feel like I have lost two cats as we were so close and now she's distanced herself, please how can I help her, this is soo not my cat! I try to give her losts of cuddles and strokes and reassure but it's like she blames me that he isn't here, what else can i do? thanks

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry about Indie.

Minx is grieving (and yes I do believe cats can sense spirits).

I would sleep where Minx is sleeping, downstairs on the floor or sofa if practical.  And keep on cuddling, stroking.

My friend the acupuncturist says acupuncture is good for grieving cats; you could perhaps try that.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know it's easy to beat yourself up over Minx's behavior, but you're going to have to try more than ever to be her rock of emotional stability...by being emotionally stable. :)  Carry on as though nothing has changed, and make sure she knows that your home is still her home. 

You're likely not going to make her "feel better".  Let her grieve.  Food, treats, and play at the usual times.  The best thing you can do is to show her that you're still her foundation of love and routine when she's ready to resume normal activity.