Help me troubleshoot -- cat has deeper voice

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a veterinarian appointment on Thursday morning, but I wanted to try to think of what could possibly be causing this issue. Heidi is 16 years old, long haired. Her only chronic health issue has been cystitis which we control with extra canned food mixed with water daily. She has never been great at grooming, even as a kitten, so now in her old age she needs a bath every couple of months. I've been strongly considering getting her shaved just to make it easier for her. Now to the issue- she's a very vocal cat and over the last 2 days her voice has deepened considerably. She is not talking quite as much, but when she does she sounds like a completely different cat. Her food intake is normal, litter box activity is normal, and her general activity level is slightly more lethargic. It's hard to tell though because it's very hot here and she sleeps a lot anyway. The only difference in her normal day today is that she has not vomited food/hairball in about a week, which is a little unusual. She's always been one to throw up at least once a week.
She eats fancy feast and Weruva canned. She will nibble at dry food here and there, but it isn't the main part of her diet.

Any ideas on what would cause her voice to deepen so much? In 40 years of cat ownership, this one is new.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No smoke here. She doesn't appear to have any sort of illness either.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be seasonal allergies, I didn't develop any symptoms until I was older too. Getting a bath may have chilled her, have you considered kitty wipes instead of a bath? I'm sure the baths most likely stress her too. It sounds like she ahs a sore throat, please push water to hydrate her. Sounds like allergies of some sort.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning she's acting like she wants to throw up a hairball but can't, so I think she has a stuck hairball or something similar. Will call the vet and see if I can't get her in sooner

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok-- blood work and x-rays done. All of her blood work was normal, the x-ray showed that her heart and lungs are normal. It did show *something* in her stomach. They cannot rule out and digested food, something like a hairball mass or a tumor. They gave her subcutaneous fluids, an anti-nausea medication that will last for 24 hours that should just generally make her digestive system relax. I'm supposed to start laxatone tomorrow . If she doesn't improve, then they would want to do further diagnostics with a fasting, x-ray and an ultrasound. So---- since she's 16, the surgery that would be needed to remove any sort of mass or hair in her stomach would be very difficult for her to recover from. So I'm not sure that we would be pursuing any treatment after this point.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully just something she can pass. 💕

If laxatone doesn't work, you could discuss Miralax/Restorilax with your vet. Many who don't find laxatone working, find that those do. You have to fully dissolve it with water and then give it to the cat (usually in food).

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Right now she completely is refusing to eat anything, so not sure I'll be able to get anything down her.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She definitely won't eat anything. I've tried all the tricks. She is wheezing a bit and asking for food, but then won't eat. Wondering if I should ask for pain meds?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would try baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) just to get something in her stomach and help get the digestive track moving along anything that might be in there. Most cats will eat these even when they refuse most all other foods. Worth giving it a try. Better for her to have food in her system if you are going to give her laxatone.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi 🙂
Did the vet look for or mention laryngeal paralysis?

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, she did not mention laryngeal paralysis. The cat has had a really low voice for several days and has been eating fine until yesterday morning. I'm going to go pick up some steroids and a painkiller and see if that helps.

I did try baby food, no luck. She is begging a little bit, but won't touch the food once I hand it to her

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be nauseous. Spunds like shes hungry but trying to eat anything might be making her a bit queezy. Kind of like having a flu bug, you might feel hungry but the thought of food makes you feel sick.