Help me pick the right cat breed for my future cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know if medium-loud noises affect cats or kittens? Because I want to adopt one and the thing is that there is construction near our home and will be for the next few months, so i dont know if it will affect a kitten. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to subject a kitten to that, and, as has already been mentioned, kittens need a lot of care.  Please note that everyone who has responded in this thread has told you that you'd be better off adopting an adult.  I know that kittens are cute, but they don't remain kittens.

Cats have extremely good hearing, but it's primarily adapted to hearing small, high sounds, like the squeaking of mice, not low sounds.  This doesn't mean they can't hear low sounds, just that they hear high sounds better.  And, once again, it's a matter of personality.  Some cats will be terrified and hide under the bed any time a garbage truck rumbles past.  Others can go through the entire 4th of July without batting an eyelash.

Look, there are some things that all cats have in common.  They all sleep a lot (16 - 18 hours per day).  They're all obligate carnivores.  They all lie ("Nobody ever feeds me or pets me except you!"
).  And they're all adorable.  But they're also all different.  They have individual personalities and individual quirks.  This is why we can't tell you what breed of cat you want based on all the criteria you've mentioned.  The only one we can speak to reliably is shedding.  Oh, yes.  And that Siamese cats have distinctive loud voices.  Personality?  There is simply no way to predict that based on breed.

Why do you want a cat?  I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) that you want a companion animal, and can't have a dog because you're not home enough to walk it and you don't have a fenced yard so that you could give it a dog door, so that leaves a cat.  PLEASE don't get a cat that you haven't fallen in love with already.  Doing so greatly increases the likelihood that you'll end up returning it to the shelter, where it will be less likely to be adopted again.  When you adopt a cat you're making a lifetime commitment (i.e., for the duration of the cat's life, not yours).  When we talk about finding a cat a "forever home," we mean exactly that.

Margret

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you google 'cat shows in your city' you most likely will pull up the local cat fanciers association if you go to a cat show you can view all the breeds see what appeals to you. You can learn about the care of Peterbald's, Sphynx's bathing regularly monitoring in winter months. Talk first hand to breeders learn about Pedigree cats the hefty price tags contracts commitments. No matter what breed or how much you spend they all need their basic cat needs met. Do as much research as you can...

Check out your local rescue you'd be amazed at how many great purebreds are Screaming for Homes! people are forced to surrender some beautiful animals due to life circumstances many of these cats all ages don't have bad issues just unfortunate situations. This is a great site to learn everything you need to know about felines. *the secret is the Right cat will Pick You 

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you know if medium-loud noises affect cats or kittens? Because I want to adopt one and the thing is that there is construction near our home and will be for the next few months, so i dont know if it will affect a kitten. 
Good question but what if your cat or dog just had a litter of kittens right before

construction started?

Noises can create some stress to all animals have found with road crews and what not they get used to it. Agree with everyone else be open to any cat age kittens are only kittens for a very short time, if things click for you both it works and that's it <3  BTW it's always BEST to get 2 kitties so they always have a companion, never alone, happier, less work dependency on you for everything.

Last edited:

alant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i decided against a bald cat, rather go with a domestic shorthair

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great. You'll have lots of cats to choose from. I know you'll find the right adult for you.

jaspa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get a rescue cat.or kitten thay are the ones that need you the most. A kittens personality depend on who brings them up. It's like kids

jaspa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every cat or kittens will be hard work yes all cats are independent but will need feeding litter changes vet trips antjing can happened. U need to look after them like children so I would may be get a gold fish if your looking for a pet that takes care of him self

alant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the advice, i might be getting my kitten later next week

jaspa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May be you should foster first. To see how hard cats and kittens are to take care of cos it will only end up on a rescue. Cos u are looking for something that dont exist. Yes you will have to get hair off your clothes noatter what cat u get

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the advice, i might be getting my kitten later next week
Why did you decide that a kitten was best? How young are you thinking? Kittens are a lot of work and destruction and not independent at all.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I strongly recommend an adult=are you ready to kitten proof your home?

they:

Chew

Claw

Climb

Play

Scratch

Nock over things

Meow if you don't attend to them

Bity on fingers until you train them not to bite fingers/toes especially when sleepinig=toes are toys-they don't understand it hurts us=they just see something that is pouncable.

Also long hairs don't shed more than short hairs. I have a short hair calico=she sheds MORE than my long hair honeybee=my profile=its all based on how thick their coat is. Pumpkin face has thick fur but short fur=she fills my hand up with fur when I pet her. Honeybee hardly ever gives me hairs when I comb her. Floey my tiger kitty-is inbetween those girls.

you can also take the cat to the groomer ad get their hair clipped = this helps in the summer.

I still think you will find out its too overwhelming for a kitten.

But you are an adult and you will find out we were right. I hope you don't abandon the cat if it pissed you off doing what cats do. We see daily of animals being dumped outside for x amount of reasons which boil down to bullcrap to me.

if you don't know what to get=how about fostering at your shelter? you get to see what its like living with an adult kitty-and help socialize kitty for their forever home.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also strongly recommend an adult cat. Or, if you're totally set on a kitten, I'd recommend getting 2 kittens. In my experience, kittens raised alone in homes where nobody is home all day do NOT turn out to be well-adjusted cats. Being alone that much during their formative months really messes them up.

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, it makes me nervous that you're asking about construction because I remember you returned your last cat back to the shelter because of construction sounds. I don't know the situation with that one, but don't get a cat if you don't think you can handle them being potentially scared by the noises and needing to adjust. Some of my cats have adjusted quickly to loud noises,  and others have taken a little more time. Eventually they do get use to it. I think you really just need to meet cats and see what you think of them. Know that if you're getting a kitten, then it isn't going to be as independent and it will probably be messier.