Help Me Not Get Murdered Picking Up a Stray Cat!

ccgram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I responded to a thread on my local sub on Reddit today about cat that needs a home. The guy said she had been hanging around for a couple months now, and is always begging for food when he goes outside (I'm assuming he is feeding her). He says he has a cat and can't take her in, though she has come inside a few times and left on her accord. He says she's not spayed because "she doesn't have an owner" and he just wants her to have a good home.

Ok, great. I volunteered to come take her and at least get her taken to the vet and spayed. I already have a cat, so I'm not sure if taking her in myself will work out, but I'm sure I can find her a home if not.

Then I thought about looking into this guy's post history to make sure he's a real person. I reversed image searched the photo of the cat he posted and nothing came up, though I think Instagram results aren't included in that so it's not foolproof. The actual concerning thing though is that he had (presumably) deleted all his posts and comments sometime before posting about the cat and the only thing that remained in his profile was that he's an active member of some subs, including a couple different 'Red Pill' communities. He was also a moderator of one. He has post and comment karma (if you know how Reddit works), so he definitely had posts/comments in the past.

I really just want to take in a cat who possibly needs a good home, but I don't want to get featured on 48 Hours in the process. Anyone who can give me some advice on how to do this safely or more ways I can check into this guy? I don't want to give any identifying information on this thread, but I can message more info if needed. Thanks!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about those websites but I do know about risks. If you know where he is, you can check with local authorities to see if he is “known.” Mugshots might help. I would go outside the places where he is posting to learn about him. You might try checking with his vet for a referral since he claims to have a cat. Maybe ask for the vet name under the umbrella of getting the cat seen there before you try driving her anywhere so you can get calming meds in case she freaks. Hopefully he would accept that. You really need to meet him at some public place or , at the very least, take someone with you! ( Do you know anyone I’m the police department/ army?) A public place would be my choice. Offer to buy him a burger or something to “thank him” for saving the cat. Maybe meet at a pet supply store to get his cat a toy? Deleting his posts is kind of weird. This could be a new way to do some cat fishing? Be careful. I actually would not be surprised if you ask a lot of questions and he failed to show. Perhaps the cat exists but perhaps not. Have you seen pictures of the cat? You might research those to see if they can be found elsewhere online. You could also try contacting rescue groups, shelters, vets and lost cat posts in that area. Someone may have a clue. I hope it all works out well and safe.
Usually, we are more familiar here with making sure that anyone willing to adopt a cat is a safe person! Sorry I don’t have better advice. Maybe someone else here will have more experience with Reddit.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SOOO glad you found this site — even if one person doesn’t know something, someone else (or lots of ‘someones’) will surely have an answer. It’s SO kind of you to worry about this poor cat. I’m glad she’s got you on her side (now let’s keep you alive to do that helping!) So hope we can give you plenty of advice ( Jcatbird Jcatbird is always a font of good information!). Much of what she said above is good, solid advice.

That said, I’m not a big Reddit user. But I do know enough in my bit of usage to know that being involved in Red Pill communities isn’t good (in my eyes at least - if I’m thinking of something else, Reddit users, I apologize). What I do know about it is that it’s associated with a lot of misogynistic groups- groups that, if he belongs to them, raises HUGE red flags to me (no pun intended). Especially if you - as a woman (I’m guessing?) - were considering meeting him alone or going to his house to get the cat alone I’d have HUGE misgivings. That in itself is a 40 foot red flag saying STOP! And there are MANY other red flags in your story - that his online history is basically gone (NO ONE does that who isn’t covering his tracks), especially pulling all Red Pill posting right now - is a big BIG red flag to me—- could be just odd timing but my spidey sense says no?!?! And he obviously posts alot there or he wouldn’t have the karma.

And no - you can’t image search on Instagram. ☹

And how in the world would he know she hasn’t been spayed bc “she isn’t owned”? That’s so odd?!?! She could be out & lost, have run away, been lost, hard to tell.... but her not having a home at this moment doesn’t mean she never did? In the end that doesn’t matter though - what matters is that she be seen by a vet, checked thoroughly, AND spay her if she does indeed need to be.

I hope you can get this cat to help her, but get your ducks in a row first! It sounds as though if you take her to the vet, he’s not going to want her back (Which is probably best for the cat!). But are you prepared to isolate this kitty (like a spare bedroom?) from yours before she goes to the vet, and once you bring her home from the vet to isolate her, plus after the surgery (& test, shots, etc.), and even beyond that? (If you decide you want te keep her, I’d SERIOUSLY recommend VERY slow introduction with your cat. But lots of us on here can walk you through that. And can you afford a second cat - or at least the expense of a low cost fix, food, etc - until you find her a forever hime (if you are 😁). Times are tough right now!

I’ve been in a few similar situations — so here’s what I’d definitely do:
1. under NO circumstances go to his house alone. If you have to go there - take several friends - at least 1 or 2 of which are large, imposing guy friends. Safety in #s is the key - and including guys in the #s helps!

2. Having him bring the cat to a populated place isn’t a bad idea - but I’d still stick w/taking several friends (including the guys!).

3. Don’t even suggest him taking her back — it sounds like she won’t do well outside for the winter. If he asks - tell him you’ve already got several friends who want her.

3. I’d reach out to friends, through social media, & call shelters within a 60 mile radius to see if you can get her somewhere if you can’t likely keep her (we all understand - it’s a lot!

It’s late so I’ve probably left something out....but hopefully this helps! Please just don’t go there - or meet him - alone.

You’re doing a GREAT thing you’re doing!!!!!!! This kitty needs a guardian angel —and I thmink she found one!!!!!! Keep us posted —- a post pics! And PLEASE don’t hesitate to get on & ask questions!!!!!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello C ccgram

Thank you for trying to help this cat. I do rescue myself and have taken in unwanted cats that people have found or been caring for in the past. Even if this was a sweet little old lady that was friends with people I knew well I would not go to a person's house to pick up a cat.

Not at anytime with all the cats I have at home.

Certainly not now, with all the risks of coming into contact with someone who might have coronavirus.

When I accept a cat I ask the people I'm going to take her from to meet me at my vet's clinic. I call in advance to let the vet know I'm bringing a new cat in. Any cat is going to need to be scanned for a microchip, blood tested and treated for parasites before I can bring them home. They'll also need to be scheduled for a spay or neuter, have vaccine booster shots and maybe have other medical treatment. Cats that have been living outside usually have a few scrapes or cuts, or gloopy eyes or something like that.

You should agree which vet and at what time you are going to meet with this guy, then get him to come into the clinic with you, rather than hand her over in a carpark. You need to decide who is going to pay for any medical treatment beforehand. If you're happy paying for her treatment that's fine, but make sure the vet is there to witness that he is handing the cat over to your care.

It's probably the least of your concerns, but you don't want to shell out a lot of money on this cat and then get into a dispute about who takes her home after that. I have a contract drawn up that I ask people to sign whenever I accept a new cat or rehome kittens, but just having the vet or a technician there to witness the cat being handed over to you is better than nothing.

Make sure you keep her quarantined from your cat when you bring her home too.

It always best to be cautious, now more than ever.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very good advice given from kitty chick and Jcatbird.....
Nowadays, sad to say there are a lot of crazy people out there...don’t take any chances for your own safety. I fully agree if you decide to take the cat (if it exits) DO NOT go alone! Bringing some guys with you is a great idea and under NO circumstances let him know where you live...I wouldn’t even give your real name...
Stay safe..

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has been around for several months and has not gotten pregnant it is more than likely she is spayed. Cats don't go for long without coming back into heat. He might have said what he did and meant he doesn't know her background at all. and he doesn't. I hope you can rescue her, you will be blessed.......

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
So I responded to a thread on my local sub on Reddit today about cat that needs a home. The guy said she had been hanging around for a couple months now, and is always begging for food when he goes outside (I'm assuming he is feeding her). He says he has a cat and can't take her in, though she has come inside a few times and left on her accord. He says she's not spayed because "she doesn't have an owner" and he just wants her to have a good home.

Ok, great. I volunteered to come take her and at least get her taken to the vet and spayed. I already have a cat, so I'm not sure if taking her in myself will work out, but I'm sure I can find her a home if not.

Then I thought about looking into this guy's post history to make sure he's a real person. I reversed image searched the photo of the cat he posted and nothing came up, though I think Instagram results aren't included in that so it's not foolproof. The actual concerning thing though is that he had (presumably) deleted all his posts and comments sometime before posting about the cat and the only thing that remained in his profile was that he's an active member of some subs, including a couple different 'Red Pill' communities. He was also a moderator of one. He has post and comment karma (if you know how Reddit works), so he definitely had posts/comments in the past.

I really just want to take in a cat who possibly needs a good home, but I don't want to get featured on 48 Hours in the process. Anyone who can give me some advice on how to do this safely or more ways I can check into this guy? I don't want to give any identifying information on this thread, but I can message more info if needed. Thanks!
I wouldn't proceed to help this guy. What you mentioned here on your post is a big red flag. I know your desire to help the poor kitty is strong, but NEVER ignore your safety. There are too many sick and dangerous people out there who have no regard for anyone's life.

That being said, there is safety in numbers, so if you really are still determine to help this situation than bring a bunch of other people involved rescue and scope the place out ( maybe ask a neighbor about this guy--try to get the 411 on him), then strategically place these people so they are around (but out of sight) to keep a watchful eye and have a few people helping you ( maybe some big dudes). Also, come with pepper spray or something for protection.

To be honest, I would take no chances. Better to be safe than sorry.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds to me as if you have some idea of what to do if you actually get this cat, so I am only going to address the actual acquiring of the cat.....if it happens at all.

First off, the tape of a crying kitten in the bushes at night has been used to draw women who are alone out of their houses so that a predator can harm them. I also see huge red flags here and inconsistencies with his story, like not enough anecdotal information about the cat. The "information" he posted is what any 10 year old would know about any cat. DO. NOT. PUT. YOURSELF. IN. ANY. DANGER. Stray animals, along with candy for kids, help me find my lost puppy, and a few others are very standard among predators.

I have been in these situations and my solutions were the following:

Once I took an off duty policeman friend. Off duty cops can carry a gun, and he was a big guy at that.

Another time, as I approached a house that I felt was safe, only to knock on the door to let them know that I was there, a patrol car who was in the area screeched up and a cop got out and pulled me away from the residence, telling me that they knew guns were in the house, and not in a legal way. Actually, that is not a solution, but you get my point.

If it were me right now, as others have posted, I would demand a meeting in a very public place with the cat handed over forever. My guess is Reddit boy does not have a carrier, so that will be the next stumbling block, and if it is the case, that will be a huge red flag, I hope.

If you still want to go to his property, I would make sure that property has a quick exit....no long driveways, backyards where you will "need" to go to get the cat, and I would take a number of friends with me.

Anything I left out I did so because I agree with what everyone else has suggested and am very glad that you posted this so that it could be discussed.