Help Me Name My Maine Coon Kitten!

MaineCoonLover2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got a Maine Coon kitten! She's so majestic-looking. I feel like she should have a more regal or wild name to give her beauty justice, but nothing I've seen feels like the perfect name. We like a lot of names but there's always something about it that doesn't feel natural to me to call her by. We also want something that makes good nicknames.

LOOKS: She has some striping and similarities to a raccoon. Giant ears! Full spectrum of grey gradients, white socks on her feet and a white full chest. One her her hind legs is white with one grey spot on it. Every time I look at her I think of a mountain top with snow, with all the darks and lights. And she looks like a wild bobcat or Lynx Rufus living on a snowy mountainside.

PERSONALITY: Spunky, clumsy, wild, energetic, distracted, and funny. Very loving... she loves to be with us, and her favorite thing is to rub against us and well, everything. She is a lap kitty and loves to be pet and cuddled.

Some names we have considered thus far but either don't feel perfect, don't make good nicknames, or just plain don't do her justice! Currently Sophie is our choice but, it feels so plain for her uniqueness!

We prefer short and sweet... like 1 or 2 syllables.

Sophie
Sierra
Everest
Saber(tooth)
Ash
Aspen
Clementine
Graphite
Meeko
Sinatra
Nimbus
Aspen
Zima (winter in Russian)
Pica
Vector
Jasmine
Buffy
Ember
Jellybean
Bindi
Puka
Polly
River
Roxy
Molly
Lexi

I've read what feels like a million with name lists... a lot of repeats, also a lot of good ones. But none that are the right one for some reason. I'm sure a lot will be mentioned here that we've seen, but it's worth seeing what ideas you all have, maybe the perfect one will slip through :)

Throw everything you've got! :)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you feel about Edelweiss, maybe Edel for short? It's an alpine flower, and considered a symbol of beauty.

ETA-an alternative name for it is Chatzen-Talpen, which means "cat's paws." I think it's perfect ;)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... LOOKS: ... Giant ears! Full spectrum of grey gradients, white socks on her feet and a white full chest. One her her hind legs is white with one grey spot on it. Every time I look at her I think of a mountain top with snow, with all the darks and lights. And she looks like a wild bobcat or Lynx Rufus living on a snowy mountainside. ...
She's a beauty! Love her polka-dot!! :hyper: My tuxedo has a few polka-dots, too.

How about the name, Yuki?

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you give her enough, time she will tell you what her name should be.... I don't usually suggest names for someone's cat. However, when I looked at her pictures, "Beth" did come to mind....

PS. I forgot to tell ya......…….She is a BEAUTY!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Geez, what a stunner of a cat!!! oh, I see I agree with neely neely LOL
I mean seriously, y-all hit the jackpot with this cat!! I keep looking at her pictures, and I keep thinking she's an adult until I look at her back feet - whooo-ee wowza!

Queen Sophie

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness what a stunner! Wow!

What about Yudaina? Or Kireina? (sorry its 3 syllables).

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's gorgeous! We're getting a MC baby beginning of September, solid black.

My suggestions is don't rush into naming her. I remember it took a couple of weeks to really find a name that felt right for the cat that's my avatar (Cocoabean). We must have tossed out near a hundred names LOL.

Having said that, since she is silver, some kind of winter based name would be really appropriate. From your list I do like Aspen and Zima best. I also like neely neely suggestion of Isadora and if you don't take it I might put it on my list for our upcoming kitten :)

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see this in a different light.

You have described your cat to us and asked us to name her.

But you havent told us the other part of the puzzle, that being....... information about YOU.

You have been given many options for names but no one can offer a name that aligns with your values, memories, interests ect because we dont know you.

For instance my boys are named greg and arnold. Its extremely unlikely anyone would suggest these names to me, but they have significance to me...... that only I know.

To find a name that you feel is natural and the perfect fit, we would need to know about you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaineCoonLover2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do you feel about Edelweiss, maybe Edel for short? It's an alpine flower, and considered a symbol of beauty.

ETA-an alternative name for it is Chatzen-Talpen, which means "cat's paws." I think it's perfect ;)

Edelweiss is such a unique suggestion! I love it actually, but I can see having to explain how to say it to everyone haha. And Chatzen-Talpen is a very cool take on a name!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you name her, she's a beauty.
I like Aspen, personally, but I think whatever you call her will suit her just fine. You've got a nice list of names to go on. :hellocomputer: