Help me! my house got a war after the new comer become a young man.

peachybkk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats live together. Around 6 months ago my sister adopted 1 cute kitten around her office. After that when she visited home she had to bring a little male kitten with

At first met every seemed fine, my 3 cats did not reject the new one. However after 2-3 months later my sister came home again, this time the kitten was grown up to be a young male middle size cat that start to spray around the house. Maybe because all my cats were neutral already ( got 2 males 1.5 years old and 1 female 5 years old), my sister's cat started chasing them and make them scare and had to hide under the bed.

Then the war has begun. So we have to keep sister's cat in her room all the time.

The 5 years lady doesn't has a problem.

However the 2 male cats (They are brothers) , one became a coward, getting scare every time he listen my sister's cat bell ring and my sister's cat also love to attack this guy.

For Another one, he became a revenger, he keep looking , hunting, chasing and waiting just in front of my sister room. It's just like a threaten message.. " new face, I will kill you,if you come out" and got serious fight everytime they met.

I've tried so many ways from the internet, a new sock, switch food bowl, let them smell without facing, etc.

But nothing's works 

I don't know if my sister's cat is made neutral  ( They all were a stray cats and no plan for a new kittens), will it help?

Anybody please advise me.

Thanks

sunrayemily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What i would do is to pick them both up and carry them face to face, with a little gap in between, hissing is normal but it is unlikely that the brother will actually try and claw him. The brother may be acting like this because of territorial space, slowly let them come face to face, keep trying with the sock scents and maybe even try to put up baby gates in between them so they cannot hurt each other but are in sight of each other. Sooner or later the brother is going to have to accept the new comer. :-)

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really wouldn't 'carry them face to face'.  This is asking for major trouble - and the human will also get hurt as the cats try to get away and at each other.

1.  Neuter the boy.  It must be done.  It will take a few months for residual hormones to subside.  It will help the fighting and possibly the spraying.  It is likely that a later neuter will not have the absolute same effect on behaviour as an earlier one, but it WILL help.

2.  I can understand the cats perspective of a strange cat SOMETIMES invading their territory.  Why the visiting? Will this cease? Will they become permanent members of the household?  Generally, cats need stability.  When they know what is what, and who is part of the household, they stress less.  If your sister and her cat will only ever be sometimes visitors, then it is likely her cat will need his own territory- her bedroom, and unlikely that the cats will happily interact as one household.

3.  If this is a permanent household change, then follow cat introductions.  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats.  The general rule is that no cats should meet face to face until there is ONLY curiosity (no aggression, no fear).  It will take time, and some work.

4.  To help lower the stress levels, plug in some feliway around the house (if you can get them there).  Also give all cats places to perch or hide (depending on their nature), and lots of interactive play time.  This will also help reduce their stress.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

peachybkk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much Tammyp 

That's really right that my sister, my dad and I got hurt when tried to carry them face to face. 

I will try all your suggestion thanks again ^^

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peachybkk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nooo, That's ok. ^^

your advice was worked with my orange tubby ( one in my pic).

Actually my sis kitten  had tried to attack her once but my sis catch him on time. 

After that the we put them to TV seat together for and hour, they looked at each other but no fight.