Help Me Introduce Bright Eyes

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got word this afternoon that an old friend has died of an apparent heart attack while bicycling in the mountains. This is the same friend who found Jasmine for us, and his cat, an older gentleman (at least, I think he's getting on in years) named Bright Eyes, has now been orphaned. Jasmine stayed with this friend for a few weeks while she was between humans, and she and Bright Eyes got on well together, so I know it should work, but I'm concerned about how to minimize the trauma for Bright Eyes, who must already be terrified because his human hasn't come home.

I've told people that we'll need a few days to prepare - other friends are taking care of Bright Eyes's physical needs in the meantime - and I'm hoping to use that time to get all the advice I can here.

I will, of course, try to bring along all of his toys, furniture, familiar litter boxes, etc., but where do I go from there?

Margret

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Margret, you have already done the most compassionate act of kindness by giving Bright Eyes his forever home. :hugs: I am truly sorry for the loss of your dear friend.:frown:

Rather than posting links to Articles, perhaps you can peruse the appropriate ones in the Cat Behavior section for advice that would pertain to introducing Bright Eyes to a new environment:
Cat Behavior | TheCatSite

If it were me I would start by keeping him in a separate room so that he feels secure. Place all his personal belongings in the room with him. Stay in the room with him, sit on the floor, talk to him softly and observe his reaction(s). Let him come to you. Hopefully this will build up his confidence. You are absolutely correct that this will be a monumental change for him so take it one day at a time and offer him all the reassurance that he needs.

I have no doubt you will do everything in your power to make him feel comfortable and welcome. We are all here to support you in any way we can. Hugs and best wishes to you. :heartshape:

Last edited: