Help Me Interpret Cat Body Language Please!

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my son brings his dog Tino around most days for a couple of hours and he has NEVER lunged at Stella or chased her. (My son has a cat at home, so the dog is used to cats.) Stella never takes her eyes off him when he's here, she pretty much follows him around and just watches him. She seems to be initiating contact on a limited basis, and if I read this correctly, he is more scared of her than the other way around.

But still, I've never had a cat and dog together so I'm not sure if I can be confident they are okay together. I feel like I have to watch them every second to be sure they don't have a dust up. What do ya'll think?

Stella and Tino2

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Both are waiting; dog is interested and invites to play; his backwards jumps are clearly invite to play.

Im not sure cat understands it, she becomes a little irritated...
But her wandering with highly raised tail, and her turning her back to him, shows, she isnt afraid of him, and feels rather at ease...

There is some left before they become good pals, but there is no hostility nor being scared...

Continue to be near, and talk sweetly to both; but I expect they will be soon good pals...

Observe, if she gives him a lesson with soft paw, its quite common and really non hostile teaching.... Such gives she to family and friends.
If she swipes with clawed paw, its of course serious...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a second video where she lays on her side and reaches out to him. Comments on that?
Stella and Tino2

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is a second video where she lays on her side and reaches out to him. Comments on that?
Stella and Tino2
Yeah, they are stepwise nearning... They will be very good pals very soon. No doubt. Wise dog whom lets the cat take her time... Exemplary...

Stretching paws forwards is in many situations the same as greeting a friend...
A lazy version of standing on all fours, and streching yourself forward or backwards - which IS a greeting...

ps Yawning is too a friendly hello... So is with cats, but I suspect dogs have this too.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they are stepwise nearning... They will be very good pals very soon. No doubt. Wise dog whom lets the cat take her time... Exemplary...

Stretching paws forwards is in many situations the same as greeting a friend...
A lazy version of standing on all fours, and streching yourself forward or backwards - which IS a greeting...

ps Yawning is too a friendly hello... So is with cats, but I suspect dogs have this too.
I believe my son's cat - who is much more assertive than Stella - has given him a smack down or two. That is why he seems to have a healthy "respect" for cats - or so it appears.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When Tino backs up and wags his tail in the first video it means he's in play mode. He is trying to initiate play with her. Stella, on the other hand, is curious but apprehensive and backs away.

I agree with StefanZ StefanZ in the second video that they will no doubt be good pals soon.
Tino is acting very patient and minding his manners - good boy, Tino! :thumbsup: Stella does not feel threatened and the fact that she's laying on her side and stretching out is likewise a good sign. Our last dog and last cat we're best buddies and I hope the same for Tino and Stella too.🐾

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Tino backs up and wags his tail in the first video it means he's in play mode. He is trying to initiate play with her. Stella, on the other hand, is curious but apprehensive and backs away.

I agree with StefanZ StefanZ in the second video that they will no doubt be good pals soon.
Tino is acting very patient and minding his manners - good boy, Tino! :thumbsup: Stella does not feel threatened and the fact that she's laying on her side and stretching out is likewise a good sign. Our last dog and last cat we're best buddies and I hope the same for Tino and Stella too.🐾
Thank you for the encouragement. My son found Tino running loose in the road about six weeks ago. After searching for an owner and turning him over for the mandatory seven days at the animal shelter, my son was allowed to adopt him. He is the best dog, I can't believe anyone let him run off and didn't come looking for him. For a Jack Russell terrier he is amazingly calm and well behaved, friendly, and totally non-aggressive. What a great little dog, I hope he and Stella will soon be friendly because I really like having him around.

Last edited: