Help Me I'm So Lost...

Vegeterrible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm honestly feeling like a bad mom because I can't do anything about my babies being sick....

3 days ago , i rescued three kittens from ignorant owners who were selling these 2 week old kittens for $5 a piece. Some other idiot bought the mom cat and three kittens and left three to die. When I got there to rescue the kittens they were so cold!!!! And starving. Warmed them up and got their bellies full. All I heard all night was purring and I was so happy to become their new mommy.

Well they wouldn't poop for two days , but I fed them KMR liquid and a few drops of vegetible oil only one time, well now they have diarrhea. And this is gooey orange diarrhea and I'm scared because everywhere it says fatal. So I immediately got pedialyte and it still hasn't helped. The kittens are so active and their pee is pale yellow. I don't know what to do... I really need some help. I stimulate before and after every feeding. One of the kittens has a very huge bloated belly and has the most diarrhea and when I rubbed his lower belly under after poop went everywhere. I took them to the vet and they charge $45 just to get in there for each kitten and god knows how much it is for blood tests, fecal samples and etc. I keep them very warm and happy and fed. Please help

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KMR in powder is more reliable than this liquid premade KMR. So try change this. Goats milk is OK and cheaper than KMR in powder. If you can get RAW goats milk, it may even be an extra plus here.
Good you give pedialyte - it perhaps doesnt help cure the diarrhea, but help the losses of salts and fluid.
Using oil for constipation is standard, but just a couple of drops, at every meal. preferably coldpressed organic style, although almost any oil will work. You perhaps gave too much...

For the kitten with belly - a couple of drops of simethicone (same as for babies) may help, and shouldnt harm.

You know of course to keep them warm, ie with an active heating source.
Weighting in grammes is good, so you know exactly if they gain or not.

Not all vets are knowleable with small weak orphaned kittens, so dont be sorry you couldnt go thru with this vet visit...

Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vegeterrible Vegeterrible

Pale yellow pee means they are dehydrated. When fully hydrated the pee will be clear.

With powdered KMR you can actually mix it with the clear pedialyte instead of water. This will help.

The kittens may need an antibiotic for a bacterial infection regarding their orange poop.

If possible, see a different vet who will charge one fee for both kittens, so you can get Albon for them. They may need worming as well.

It sounds like you are doing a great job.

Hoping whoever bought mom and three kittens has good intentions for caring for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vegeterrible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
KMR in powder is more reliable than this liquid premade KMR. So try change this. Goats milk is OK and cheaper than KMR in powder. If you can get RAW goats milk, it may even be an extra plus here.
Good you give pedialyte - it perhaps doesnt help cure the diarrhea, but help the losses of salts and fluid.
Using oil for constipation is standard, but just a couple of drops, at every meal. preferably coldpressed organic style, although almost any oil will work. You perhaps gave too much...

For the kitten with belly - a couple of drops of simethicone (same as for babies) may help, and shouldnt harm.

You know of course to keep them warm, ie with an active heating source.
Weighting in grammes is good, so you know exactly if they gain or not.

Not all vets are knowleable with small weak orphaned kittens, so dont be sorry you couldnt go thru with this vet visit...

Good luck!
Thank you so much, I will definitely try simethicone. I'm going to switch to powder but hopefully they won't be constipated. Everyone's experience is different on here! Lol

Vegeterrible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vegeterrible Vegeterrible

Pale yellow pee means they are dehydrated. When fully hydrated the pee will be clear.

With powdered KMR you can actually mix it with the clear pedialyte instead of water. This will help.

The kittens may need an antibiotic for a bacterial infection regarding their orange poop.

If possible, see a different vet who will charge one fee for both kittens, so you can get Albon for them. They may need worming as well.

It sounds like you are doing a great job.

Hoping whoever bought mom and three kittens has good intentions for caring for them.
They ended up giving away the mother and two kittens after I told them what they had to do.(feed every 2-3 hours, stimulate, keep warm) The original owner told everyone on Facebook they were a month old and the vet told me absolutely not , they were two weeks.

With the pee, I thought that if it was clear than that was overhydrating? Maybe if I do one I can treat the others , they have the same problem just the one kitten is worse. (Black and white kitten I have had normal yellowish poop first time now it's diarrhea orange)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the diarrhea smell awful? Sounds a little like either Coccidia or Girardia. Neither of these show up on a normal fecal sample. The bloated belly could be a worm infestation also. Talk to your vet about getting them on Panacur and antibiotics.
If it is either of those, the sterilization process is critical or they can re-infect easily. Google them for the cleanup process.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more I think about this, the more it enrages me.
Can you report her to the SPCA or someplace that can bring charges against her? You still have your Facebook conversation, even if , and that's a big IF, they had been 4 weeks, that is still way to early to separate the kittens.
I would be finding a way to bring charges against her. She should not be allowed to own animals.

Vegeterrible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The people who gave them to me are terrible people. Their house is absolutely filthy with moldy microwave meals, dishes with cotton candy like mold. The floor floods.... They have no regard for anyone but themselves. They probably needed a pack of cigarettes and that's why they were selling these little precious angels for $5 a piece. I showed up and there was a very young puppy running around and I guess they had a bonfire ?? Because there was a fire going with a puppy running around. Then in the house there was a very skinny male cat and I look on their roach filled couch and there was a box with these little guys in it. These people are also wanting to have kids....I have a dog from their house that I rescued earlier this year and they kept her in the room of a house and every inch of the floor was covered in feces. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you this. They're 19. I was told by the girl that was given the kittens to hurry up and grab them because the mom was so malnourished. So I immediately took action and when I got there the mother cat was gone with two other kittens that were sold.

Vegeterrible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On a lighter note...
I used the gas relief drops and oh my goodness. Totally different kitten! His belly has went down after I burped him and massaged him. Its squishy but still bulgy because he is 2 weeks old. I have never reached out to a community and I am so happy I did. The diarrhea has settled down a lot but I'm switching to powdered formula tomorrow to see if this helps and if it doesn't I am going to get a personal loan so I can get them what they need at the vet. It will cost me probably $100 plus for each kitty :/

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they came from those conditions, then expect the worst. And by that I mean: worms, fleas, no antibodies in their system, possibly ticks and/or ear mites, etc...
I would get them on wormer and probiotics immediately.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow that sounds like a horrible place for the dog and kittens to come from. Thank you for saving them xx

Vegeterrible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow that sounds like a horrible place for the dog and kittens to come from. Thank you for saving them xx
I'm so blessed to be able to help them have some kind of life. Currently working on finding a great vetrinarian around here

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should probably contact Animal Control about that family. Even if they can't do anything legally, every report against them builds a case, and could help Social Services later on if they're accused of child neglect. If they're that young they were probably neglected just as badly, maybe early intervention will help them mature into more responsible people.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that you need to report these people to Animal Control. They have no business with any pets, much less a puppy.

You can also report them to the city health department for the unsanitary conditions. It's against the law to live this way. You will be anonymous, and you will be doing the people and animals a favor whether the people realize it or not.

This needs to be treated seriously.

Vegeterrible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will call them in the AM because it's disgusting. I went to school with both of them and the guy is spoiled and gets everything he wants, the girl I think has a real huge problem with social settings. But the fact they gave them 2% milk, left the mom malnourished and gave her away just makes me so mad because now they are having problems because of it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good! Please call both Animal Control AND the Health Department. It's important to get both involved.

Thank you!

Vegeterrible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called and they said they would go over there and look! Last night I received a 6 week old puppy from the SAME PEOPLE!!!! Who is giving these people animals?!?! I have saved several animals from this house.

Update on the kitties!!! Took them to the vet today, feces had no worms, they have gained 6 oz, making them 11 oz and they are healthy! I was really worried and just got a lot of relief today. They said the feces was normal for bottle babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent news on the kittens!

How did you get the puppy? Is this the one you said was running around when you picked up the kittens?

Who did you call? Health Department? Animal Control?

I hope something will change from your call.

Vegeterrible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Boyfriend called and told me he was bringing home a puppy and no! This is a different batch. I called health department and they still haven't went over there. Calling again in the morning. My heart is broken.

When I went to pick up the kittens the first night, there was a healthy teen male cat and I didn't even think to grab him because he looked really healthy..... well today I found out that they put the cat in a cooler and drowned it. They held the lid shut and let him die. The excuse? "He got annoying"... I feel sick to my stomach and I have cried. I'm glad I got the animals that I did because what if they had gotten "annoying?".... I wish I could go back in time and grab him too. Please don't hate me. I'm calling in the morning to report this. Will they do anything without evidence? because apparently they buried it.

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I hadn't read your last post...as an animal lover -- and a proud cat mama -- the thought of that precious boy suffering as he did being locked in a box underwater is more than I can fathom. There's a special place in Hell for monsters like them.
On a lighter note, there's a wonderful woman named Hannah who is known as the Kitten Lady. She's got a great series on Youtube on caring for kittens, as well as a presence on FB, Twitter & Instagram. I know she said you can microwave a sock filled with rice for a heating pad that will retain heat for hours. Thank you for rescuing these babies!!