Help me, I'm a new cat lover with a sick cat

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

you cant test young kittens because they will have mums antibodies and give a false positive (i think)
No, that's FIV positive antibodies that can give a false positive, not Felv. You can test young kittens for Felv without any problems.
"Kittens can be tested at any age because maternal immunity does not interfere with testing."
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/FeLV.html

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my old vet told me both but i think she must have missed a few days of vet school because most of the stuff she told me turned out to be c***

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh, my least favorite subject....FeLv......I have to admit that I hate this disease almost as badly as FIV. *Sigh* The bad thing about FeLv is that you can have a momcat with the disease, some of the kittens will have it, some won't, and scientists have no reason for why it's not all of one or the other. How cats react to FeLv differs from cat to cat also, some, like your FuzzNuts, go downhill very quickly and never recover, some however, when caught early enough, can be treated very agressively and get better!

I currently have one of each of those in my home....My Tigs was diagnosed with it in July of last year, and is currently happy, fat and sassy. His half sister, Little Bit, who is almost a year younger, was diagnosed earlier this year......and honestly nothing that we've done has helped her, she's very close to the Bridge I'm afraid. So, please evaluate on a "cat by cat" basis, if you don't mind, and not lump them all together in one sick little basket. Hopefully, mom and babies will all be negative, and you won't have to worry about it....but if they do, we're always here to help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiecnm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of your advice, I will take the kittys to the vet as soon as I am able to get to them (they are under my sons bed and neither of us can get to them). You have all been wonderful with your advice, and I will take good care of all my babies. This is a terrific site and you have all been extraordinarily friendly and giving, I'm so glad I found all of you. I hope someday I can return the good vibes. I will let you know how things turn out.

Cornbread was my first cat ever, we got her infront of Wal Mart, a lady was giving kittens away. I really regret having her declawed, if I had it to do over again I would not. Cornbread is about 4years old, Lily and Fuz just showed up at my house and moved in. I am glad to have found a great resource like this. I am hooked on cats!

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bless your heart! I am just now finding this thread...I am so sorry to hear about Fuz Nuts (That name made me laugh!).

You are doing the right thing by getting the others tested. Your cats are lucky to have a wonderful owner such as yourself.

Take care, God bless, and please please keep us updated!!!