Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Help Me Identify What Is Wrong With This Cat!

Discussion in 'Caring for Strays and Ferals' started by Jsara.asad, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Jsara.asad

Jsara.asad Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

May 6, 2018
    Hi everyone, thanks for reading my post. In short, I am trying to see what is potentially wrong with a stray cat I'm caring for at the moment. Please continue reading for some background info. & pictures (1st pic of the eyes, 2nd of white flakes on the cat's back) 20190704_184247.jpg 20190704_184247.jpg 20190628_203106.jpg

There are quite a few strays in my neighborhood. I came across one a few days ago that looked notably unwell. According to neighbors, it has been living around their apartment complex for over a year now and one has noted that his(?) health has been deteriorating.

He is very skinny, has a cataract, and is showing signs of a skin problem (constant scratching and itching) + white flakes on the back area. I have been feeding him wet catfood daily and have given him Capstar to treat possible fleas. I have noticed that since giving the flea treatment, his scratching has significantly reduced.

I am in touch with a local TNR program and hope to get him the treatment he needs, just want to get an idea about what those might be. Thanks!

Attached Files:

catsknowme, PushPurrCatPaws and Furballsmom purraised this.

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Hi! I'm not experienced enough to know about this but wanted to say bless you for helping this (old?) cat :heartshape:
    There will be experts who have a chance to reply soon.

catsknowme, Feral Mom, HUDSONPAT and 3 others purraised this.

3. FeebysOwner

FeebysOwner TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    Hi. Thank you for taking care of this guy! I hope you can get him some help very soon.

As far as the white flakes, could it be something as simple as dander? It is really hard to tell from the pic. The only other thought that came to mind was lice?

4. movinintime

movinintime TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 9, 2019
    Great of you caring for him! Please get him in to vet asap & I'm paws crossed he is ok. :)

5. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    He (?) might be elderly, or sick, or injured at some point. He needs a little more than TNR, I think. Try to have the vet give him a more thorough checkup.

To me it looks like an old cat, but that look can come from other causes too.

catsknowme, Feral Mom, Furballsmom and 2 others purraised this.

6. msaimee

msaimee TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 21, 2013
    Western PA
    Yes he'll need more than TNR. He'll need veterinary care, and should also be tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS (SNAP test). He does not look fit to he living on the streets. Perhaps the rescue group can find him a foster home? Can you take him in?

7. Jsara.asad

May 6, 2018
    Thanks everyone for your comments and input! I definitely agree he needs more than just TNR. The goal is to catch him and get him checked up & possibly foster him. I already have a cat so it is not a good idea to bring him home before he gets cleared from the vet.

The good news is that in just a week of feeding him and giving him flea treatment, he already looks so much better (fur coat is much cleaner and shiny and less of the white specks/dander on his fur).

8. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    He's probably a dumped pet and can't take care of himself. I guess he's handleable, if you can put flea meds on him, right?

movinintime, catsknowme and Furballsmom purraised this.

9. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    :vibes::heartshape: :rock:

movinintime and catsknowme purraised this.

10. jen

jen TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 27, 2001
    Hudson, OH
    Capstar only works for 24 hours to kill adult fleas only. It isn't a preventative. Just so you are aware. The results are long gone. Make sure they check him for a microchip also when you take him in. Never know! He is cute. I love black cats with "issues" hehe.

11. Jsara.asad

May 6, 2018
    Do you know about an oral flea prevention meds for cats? He is so cute, I can tell with each day he is getting more comfortable with me. He started following me and meowing for the first time today and it broke my heart

movinintime, catsknowme, Feral Mom and 2 others purraised this.

12. Jsara.asad

May 6, 2018
    I was only able to give him the chewable Capstar tablets, not the topical solution. He is a bit skittish if I get too close, but will gladly eat food from my hands.

13. jen

jen TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 27, 2001
    Hudson, OH
    Comfortis I believe is the only chewable preventative for cats. The only I am aware of at least.

14. Jsara.asad

May 6, 2018
    Just wanted to give an update. I was able to trap her and bring her to the vet for a thorough examination & spay. The vet estimates that she is 8 years old, which leads me to believe that she may have been someone's pet at some point in her life.

The good news is that so far, nothing life-threatening was detected. The white specks were dandruff and some lice. Unfortunately they did find that she is missing her lower teeth, which probably explains why she is very underweight, and her cataract is most likely the result of some trauma to her eye a long time ago.

I'm currently taking care of her inside my home. I got a large dog crate to keep her in for the time being, and I'm trying to figure out what to do next! She is a bit timid, but seems to be adjusting quite well to her new indoor habitat

Attached Files:

Kflowers, movinintime, FeebysOwner and 3 others purraised this.

15. catsknowme

catsknowme TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 2, 2005
    Eastern California,USA
    :clapcat: I am elated to read that the poor kitty is inside, safe & vetted!! You are a superstar to have given her so much Investment and care - you have an amazing heart & I wish that there were more people like you.
    Getting her back to restored health is the important thing now. I eagerly await the next installment on how things are going :hyper:

Kflowers and movinintime purraised this.

16. msaimee

msaimee TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 21, 2013
    Western PA
    That is wonderful news. I hope you will keep her as your indoor forever cat. I think she will truly appreciate being cared for, she's had such a hard life already. I really think she will love you quite a bit.

catsknowme and movinintime purraised this.

17. FeebysOwner

FeebysOwner TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    So happy to hear an update that is pretty promising!! And, thrilled that she seems to be comfortable with being inside!!

Thank you for taking care of her!!!

catsknowme and movinintime purraised this.

18. movinintime

movinintime TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 9, 2019
    YAY!! AWESOME NEWS!!!:)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    catsknowme and FeebysOwner purraised this.