Help Me Identify Cat Breed?

sassypantsRN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Planning to adopt a bonded pair of cats and I would like to be prepared to manage their coats with the right tools. The dark black/brown has me stumped... I grew up with many, many barn cats so I have no idea how to tell whether a cat has an undercoat, 2 coats, 3 coats? May be able to tell red from blue coats. ;) Any ideas on breed and suggestions on best brushes/combs/etc to keep looking nice, preventing mats?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He, she? I'll assume he for now. Well, what a beautiful floofy boy you have lined up and I'm very jealous. He has big breed influence and the closest in my mind is Maine Coon in his ancestry. If so, you're lucky in that they are one of the easier medium/long haired cats because they don't matt as easily as other long hairs. I have a part Siberian and he matts like a crazy matting thing but my MC Oliver doesn't anywhere near as readily. I comb him in fits and starts when he's lying down and relaxed, a bit at a time. The Furminator has good reviews and I keep meaning to get one.
Anyhow, when's the big day? Please keep us updated.
here's some of links for you.

Cat deShedding Tools | FURminator®

7 Reasons Why You Really Should Groom Your Cat Regularly

How To Properly Care For Your Cat's Coat

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s gorgeous! He is a very nice lookalike to a Maine Coon, so I think it’s a possibility that he has some in his ancestry. Technically, without papers, he would be considered a black Domestic Longhair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassypantsRN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone! And thanks for the fur resources. :) The humane society took my app yesterday, said they would contact me within the next day or so, so I am hoping soon. Poor boys (they are both boys) have been there for nearly a year. Will post updates!

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That would be great if you can give them a home, gorgeous boys!
I have a long hair and a metal comb with long and short mixed teeth works well. Make sure no mats in the area you comb, as it can be painful.
If you take them to a vet for the first time, you can likely manage yourself after with regular care.
There are good guides online for grooming longhaired cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassypantsRN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are home.

Harold (black) had some pretty bad mats, in his armpit and groin are the worst, they are really tight and I am afraid to remove myself for fear of catching his skin. Have used comb, deshedding tool, slicker brush... he loves it. But won't let me near mats. Thanks again everyone!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent and they seem to have made themselves at home. Lovely pair.

The Furminator has good reviews and I keep meaning to get one.
I'd forgotten that a Furminator came with Oliver. I found it today and it really gets the dead fur out.