Help Me Help My Cat ):

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in the country, with 13 (at this time) cats. Some were stray, a couple were feral. There is no way I can create enough indoor space to avoid territory and/or food issues. Having them outside, for any length of time, scares me. I try very hard to have them all in at night. Night time is THE most dangerous time, that is when most predators are on the hunt. If a strange cat shows up he/she gets trapped, neutered, tested and vaccinated. All I need is a cat to come in with FIV, FeLV, or a multitude of other diseases and infect the whole group.
Outside has cars, predators, illness, injury and (hate to say) evil people. When you care for a colony of ferals there's not a lot you can do. When you have a couple of pets, you do have a choice.
Please remember, rabies vaccines are great but not 100%. The best way to protect a cat is to not let them have the chance to meet up with a sick animal in the first place
Sorry about the lecture. It's just something I've had to think about, every single day. The point here is the part about cats hiding pain and the need to suspect such unusual behaviors, what you are seeing especially. Please do take him to a vet, please.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they're taking him to the vet I'll continue the discussion - I didn't want to make it seem like it was a horrible idea, it's not.

My perspective is that you'll get symptomatic behaviours with pretty much every condition that needs to be treated quickly. A fracture will usually be accompanied by typical pain signs if it's serious (limping, agitation/restlessness, crying, curled tail/years back, etc). An abscess will result in licking, rubbing or scratching the area.

When a cat hides/doesn't eat but isn't showing any other symptoms it's a cause to closely monitor the cat to be sure. Especially if it's unrelated to trauma/changes in the cat's environment. Check in every so often for new symptoms, keep track of food/water intake, bowel movements, etc. and if things don't improve in 24-48 hours then take them to the vet.

Cats have been known to hide/stop eating over a new piece of furniture in their space. Emotionally traumatic events can generate the same response - like getting beat up by another cat/animal. It usually resolves pretty quickly though and again, 24-48 hours of wait and watch can mean the difference between your cat starting to return to normal or hundreds of dollars of unnecessary tests/medication and further trauma over nothing.

Obviously if you're unsure and worried a vet visit can be reassuring, that might be worth the money right there. After seeing what ferals can deal with/recover from I guess I have a different perspective. We often don't have a choice of treating them and have to adopt a wait and see approach regardless. As an example, this guy refused to come inside for years - frequent URIs, likely FIV+, and he's a senior:

So painful to watch but every time he, like so many other colony cats, would recover and keep on trucking. He finally decided to "retire" his bad boy street ways thankfully

He cleaned up and filled out beautifully! A very handsome guy.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I need on help on figuring out what happened to my cat and how to fix it. His name is Mr. Mittens, he often goes outside to wander around and play but he always comes back normal.
Yesterday he left at night with our other cat Kiwi. Behind my house there is a small forest, and he went there with Kiwi. I heard cats fighting (Kiwi and Mittens never fight, didn't sound like Mittens), and my mom quickly called the cats so they could come home and they did.
Today, Mittens is not acting the same. He hisses when he try to put his bottom and his legs(his favorite spot), he hasn't ate, he's been sleeping all day in a hidden spot, and he returned with a ripped tie. He used to be extremely cuddly, and he would do anything for food. But now, he hasn't gotten up all day.
Please help! I want him to be cuddly again.
Please do get him to the vet without delay if he feels at all hot to the touch -- he could have a fever from a bite, which could escalate into an abscess. And if at all possible, keep cats indoors-only, where they will be safe, healthier, and not cause his caregivers to worry. Give them plenty of enrichment (cat trees, scratchers, toys, windows to look out of, and of course, love and interaction from you!) and they will not need or want to go outdoors where there are so many dangers and potential problems. Please let us know what the vet says and what happens! *PRAYERS* for him to be okay.

Last edited:

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You wait until you can see a physical injury? Every behavior described is probably an indication of pain. Cats are very good at hiding pain and you have to suspect any unusual behavior.
Wait to confirm the behavioural signs are persistent or for a symptom of something medical to appear. Having a bad experience can cause a cat to hide and not want to be pet. He could have had a fall and it was still sensitive. That sort of thing. Give it a day (or two at most) to confirm it's not just short term emotional trauma/minor physical trauma. If things persist with no improvement then you know it's likely more than emotional trauma and worth getting checked out. If it doesn't persist - great your cat is healthy if a bit wiser.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So what would you do, if you were in a bar brawl, took a bottle to the back of the head, while on the floor you got a boot to the ribs, and after it was all over, you couldn't remember your buddy driving you home? Think you will be ok? Maybe wait and see if there is internal bleeding or have your buddy check for fractured bones? You would get to a doc as he/she has the expertise to decide your condition. Maybe you'd rather wait to see if something falls off or the white in your eye turns bloody red.

I have cared for a very special TNR female daily now for over a year. She only allows me to pet her head, her back, and a brief one hand touch to her sides. I think I know her well enough to tell when she's not doing well, like when she lost a canine and refused to nip my hand to show I belong to her. What I didn't know about her, as maybe she conceals her illnesses well, was when I took her to the vet for a possible upper respiratory infection, they did an x-ray and found an air rifle pellet lodged in the aft part of her body. I would never have guessed that she had shot with an air rifle.

Sometimes we don't' know what ailments lie beneath the skin. Doctors know what to look for.

"I don't need a doctor, damn it, I am a doctor!" - Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So what would you do, if you were in a bar brawl, took a bottle to the back of the head, while on the floor you got a boot to the ribs, and after it was all over, you couldn't remember your buddy driving you home? Think you will be ok?
The ribs, I would wait and see - not a soft tissue injury and internal bleeding has obvious symptoms. The head injury you describe a symptom - barring the presence of that symptom or any other, I would also wait and see. At most I'd stay up a little longer and/or get my buddy to wake me every couple hours.

And I do practice what i preach - 1" cut in my thumb while making apple sauce, wrapped it up, slept, went to get stitches the next day (I was 9?). Gallbladder attack, on the floor in agony, waited it out for 2 hours before going to the hospital; normally they pass in under 2 hours, any longer could mean complications - did that 3 times, no pain meds.

The only time I ever rushed out to a hospital was when my hand got crushed between a 40,000lb boat and a docked sailboat and the anchor from the sailboat popped up and landed on the same hand. The worst pain I'd ever felt (before the gallbladder), and sure enough not a bone broken or fractured and the cuts from the anchor weren't large enough to stitch.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are many occasions that I do wait and see, like the next day, for something like a limp, where I have an idea of location. A fight, that I didn't see especially, too many unknowns.
I didn't, immediately, call an ambulance after being kicked in the back by a horse. I have a fairly high pain tolerance and the kick put me on the ground, got to the house on my own because there was NO chance of anyone finding me for at least 10 hours. This was prior to cell phones. I called my neighbor who talked me into letting them drive me to my doctor. Not the hospital, my doctor. He took xrays and sent me to the emergency room. Three busted ribs, one of which fractured my liver. The bleeding was all inside the liver, but they didn't want to take chances. I spent three days in the hospital, two in surgical ICU. Actually left AMA.
If I believe one of the cats is in pain, they go to the vet. I have learned that the old saying "better safe than sorry" is way too apt to be true. They get medical care before I do. It's more that I know where I hurt, I have a good idea of why. A cat has been in a fight and is acting completely out of normal, goes to the vet.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the hardest part is not knowing the cat in question. When it's our babies act differently, we know them, we know how far out of character any behavior is. It's harder when we just don't know all the factors.
I hope we didn't hijack this thread too much. A discussion on reasons to decide whether or not to get a cat checked out by a vet just seemed to come naturally.
I hope we get an update saying that this kitty is just fine!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats shouldn't be outside unsupervised period. That's like letting a toddler crawl down the street.
And I agree but not everyone feels that way.
There are many occasions that I do wait and see, like the next day, for something like a limp, where I have an idea of location. A fight, that I didn't see especially, too many unknowns.
I didn't, immediately, call an ambulance after being kicked in the back by a horse. I have a fairly high pain tolerance and the kick put me on the ground, got to the house on my own because there was NO chance of anyone finding me for at least 10 hours. This was prior to cell phones. I called my neighbor who talked me into letting them drive me to my doctor. Not the hospital, my doctor. He took xrays and sent me to the emergency room. Three busted ribs, one of which fractured my liver. The bleeding was all inside the liver, but they didn't want to take chances. I spent three days in the hospital, two in surgical ICU. Actually left AMA.
If I believe one of the cats is in pain, they go to the vet. I have learned that the old saying "better safe than sorry" is way too apt to be true. They get medical care before I do. It's more that I know where I hurt, I have a good idea of why. A cat has been in a fight and is acting completely out of normal, goes to the vet.
Similar injury and thank you for reminding an injury can be internally serious. From horse rescue I have seen a lot of disabling lameness caused by the wait and see approach.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I think the hardest part is not knowing the cat in question. When it's our babies act differently, we know them, we know how far out of character any behavior is. It's harder when we just don't know all the factors.
I hope we didn't hijack this thread too much. A discussion on reasons to decide whether or not to get a cat checked out by a vet just seemed to come naturally.
I hope we get an update saying that this kitty is just fine!
I'm hoping for an update. meanwhile this is an interesting discussion while we wait in the peanut gallery for an update

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Similar injury and thank you for reminding an injury can be internally serious. From horse rescue I have seen a lot of disabling lameness caused by the wait and see approach.
Herbivores are a different kettle of fish. Ask any "exotics" vet they'll tell you the short term survival rates for carnivore species is much higher. Likely an adaptation to do with having to deal with starvation & injury from hunting

louche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition to what everyone has said please keep your cats inside from now on. Indoors is the safest place for them. If you must let them out, build an enclosure or get them harnesses.
This really has nothing to do with the subject at hand. I just wanted to say I've never heard the phrase "Adopt, don't shop" (weird, though I do leave my rock from time to time) and I want a bumper sticker or patch that says that ;)

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Herbivores are a different kettle of fish. Ask any "exotics" vet they'll tell you the short term survival rates for carnivore species is much higher. Likely an adaptation to do with having to deal with starvation & injury from hunting
I don't like telling someone to take their pet to the vet. It's going to cost money many people can't spare. It doesn't matter what food group they dine on an injury of unknown origin possibly involving a wild animal or a cat carrying a disease means the pet is better off seen than not.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanna give some background before giving my advice.

Growing up, my family took in any cat that showed up at our door. Almost all the cats were indoor/outdoor. Some were mostly feral, but would shelter from really bad weather for a little bit inside. (We made shelters under our second story deck for the very feral ones) One or two never wanted outside again after getting inside. This seemed pretty normal. Most of them were always fine. One cat lived to 21, very healthy aside from a minor, easily controlled, thyroid issue.

One kitty, my crazy baby, Merlin, was not so lucky. He got FIV. And he lost a leg to a neighbor's car engine. It was horrible. He thankfully pulled through, and lived another 10 good years (a few issues with urinary blockages), till he got cancer.

At least a dozen other cats were fine. But my first black cat suffered horribly. Unnecessarily. He was a heck of a fighter, and never let the lost leg hold him back. But still, it NEVER should have happened.

Now, I care for a feral colony. There is a major highway near by. Some have fallen to cars. It's horribly tragic. The original 4 are very careful crossing streets. The newcomers have also learned how to safely cross the street, and they avoid the highway. This is scary, but most would not adjust to living indoors (I made a few attempts). But last fall, one young kitty chose the life of a pet, Scutch.

He's extremely clumsy. He's healthy, just uncoordinated. I used to let him go out to visit his friends as he was coming in more and more. But by February, I saw he was getting over-stimulated when he'd go outside. He'd pick fights (and he's usually so gentle and friendly, with humans and other cats). He lost his breakaway collar. He wouldn't let me near him outside. He was crazed. And he'd be a terror when he came in too. It would take hours, and lots of play, for him to calm down enough to pet him again even inside.

So, I talked to everyone in the house, and we decided to make him indoor only. Does he seem to want out sometimes? Absolutely. Do I think he misses it? Yes. Do I feel bad about it? Actually, despite knowing all the dangers, I do feel bad denying him that.

But it is the right choice. He was a danger to himself and others outside. He's safer, and now clearly happier, staying in a controlled environment. He has Judy (Neighborhood sweetheart, that visits several houses) visit on occasion. He sees the others out the full view back door. He has his own safe and unchallenged territory with a huge second story window to see everything outside. Plus, we discovered he has allergies, which cleared up. No more snoring, much less sneezing/leaky nose. We have pollen blocking screens in windows cause my allergies are very bad, and my hubby's grandma has very bad asthma. We're disabled, and home with him all day every day, so he's never completely alone.

It sounds like your cat might be starting to have many of the same issues. His instincts will tell him he needs to defend himself, even once safe inside. It could lead to some very undesired behaviors, like spraying and scratching furniture (marking territory).

I know it can be a tough thing to do, and yes, you probably will feel bad about it sometimes. But the safety and well-being of our pets is of far greater importance than indulging their every whim. And I can say with absolute certainty, Scutch is happier, calmer, and better behaved since staying indoors only. He has adjusted, and doesn't try to get out much anymore either.

It may be time to seriously consider it. I highly recommend it, based on your original post. You can avoid a lot of heartache and pain. And the sooner you make the switch, the faster they adjust.

(BTW, I'm glad you're taking him to the vet. He could have fallen and injured something. I've seen lots of the ferals hurt a paw or tail from a bad fall.)
*BIG props to you for your detailed and descriptive illustrations of why "indoors only" is a MUST for cats and for all responsible, caring cat caregivers!*

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This really has nothing to do with the subject at hand. I just wanted to say I've never heard the phrase "Adopt, don't shop" (weird, though I do leave my rock from time to time) and I want a bumper sticker or patch that says that ;)
You haven't seen any of my tweets, obvy. I must type that message a hundred times, or more, a day. :winkcat:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I need on help on figuring out what happened to my cat and how to fix it. His name is Mr. Mittens, he often goes outside to wander around and play but he always comes back normal.
Yesterday he left at night with our other cat Kiwi. Behind my house there is a small forest, and he went there with Kiwi. I heard cats fighting (Kiwi and Mittens never fight, didn't sound like Mittens), and my mom quickly called the cats so they could come home and they did.
Today, Mittens is not acting the same. He hisses when he try to put his bottom and his legs(his favorite spot), he hasn't ate, he's been sleeping all day in a hidden spot, and he returned with a ripped tie. He used to be extremely cuddly, and he would do anything for food. But now, he hasn't gotten up all day.
Please help! I want him to be cuddly again.
If he hasn't eaten all day and is not acting normal, do not wait to take him. Could be he just needs some days to calm down and appetite stimulants from the vet if he's not eating.