Help!! Mama Cat Had A Dead Baby/premature Baby Questions

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mama cat went into labor and had a stillborn kitten. Then after around 2 hours she was back to normal and her opening where she would have the kittens closed. I watched her all night thinking she would have the other kitten or more than that but nothing. She definitely has one more kitten i can feel and maybe more. I don't feel any movement though from the baby or babies in her belly sadly. She is eating drinking and even playing like she always does. Its like shes done. I am very concerned about the kittens still in her belly. Any advice? The vet is not open until tomorrow!!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In rare cases cats can loose a kitten without impacting the health of their other kittens. It can happen when one kitten dies in utero or if a kitten isn't developing properly. When it does happen the cat will give birth to the rest of the litter when the time is right, usually within 10 days of the aborted kitten. A vet check is probably wisest but try not to fear too much. If Mom isn't showing signs of distress or bleeding or passing she likely is okay.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree. If the mother isn't bleeding or pushing for a long time, she should be ok. I can't promise that the other kittens are ok, but you may not be able to feel them moving because they are in the birthing position and have very little room to move around.
If she begins to push and strain again but doesn't birth a kitten within 30 minutes or she begins to discharge a bloody substance, you need to rush her to the ER vet.

I hope she has a smooth labor! Keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. This really puts me at ease as I was not aware of this happening. Mama is in good spirits but only wants to stay inside. She is happy and eating and drinking well and purring. Seems her old self.

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. This really puts me at ease as I was not aware of this happening. Mama is in good spirits but only wants to stay inside. She is happy and eating and drinking well and purring. Seems her old self.
And I will keep this thread updated for sure!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How was the stillborne kitten looking?

Furry round ready made, no visible faults?
In such cases, they can sometimes be saved by vigorously varming up, massaging, trying to get fluid from the lunds... Praying.
No quaranties, are they dead so they are dead. But if they arent really dead, sometimes they can be saved.
Farmers simply submerge such piglets into warm water. Not that fancy, but its the easiest and quickest way to warm them up...

If the kitten was hairless, scrawny, it was too early, a premature
, and hopefully the others will come out in their proper time.

If there were faults on it, it explains itself.

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How was the stillborne kitten looking?

Furry round ready made, no visible faults?
In such cases, they can sometimes be saved by vigorously varming up, massaging, trying to get fluid from the lunds... Praying.
No quaranties, are they dead so they are dead. But if they arent really dead, sometimes they can be saved.
Farmers simply submerge such piglets into warm water. Not that fancy, but its the easiest and quickest way to warm them up...

If the kitten was hairless, scrawny, it was too early, a premature

, and hopefully the others will come out in their proper time.

If there were faults on it, it explains itself.

Yes, the poor little kitten was born dead. It was pink and almost hairless very scrawny it was wrinkled. I do believe it was just premature. Cats are amazing to be able to go ahead and birth a cat that has died in them. I am praying the other kits will be born alive.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please please keep the mother cat inside! She can get pregnant again almost right away which would be irresponsible to let happen. Confine her to a dog crate or bathroom or something if you have to. She needs to be spayed too before she goes back outside. Also if she randomly got pregnant by unknown males outside, she can be carrying kittens from different fathers at different levels of maturity. When she is due to have the oldest ones she will have them all even if the others aren't ready.

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: So mama cat had 3 more kittens as of right now. The first of the 3 born dead and the second 2 are alive and trying to nurse but she wont be still and let them. They have a hard time suckling and cant hang on. Obviously all are premature. None have fur on there feet and up there legs and can hardly hold there head up. Its so sad, not sure what causes cats to be born premature. Not sure if these 2 will live.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you want them to live, you mustt fight for it. Handfeed them, etc. Make sure they are warm. Begin with smearing some water sweetened with much honey on lips and gum. After it, handfeed with a little syringe or dropper. Raw goats milk is best, but KMR with colostrum in is good too.
With a syringe they dont need to suckle, its enough they manage to swallow.

An IR-heating lamp is useful, but otherwise yo can use haheating pads.

Good if the humidity in the room is higher than usual

Lotsa work, bu t it can be done! But its hurry, you dont have any margins!

Update: So mama cat had 3 more kittens as of right now. The first of the 3 born dead and the second 2 are alive and trying to nurse but she wont be still and let them. They have a hard time suckling and cant hang on. Obviously all are premature. None have fur on there feet and up there legs and can hardly hold there head up. Its so sad, not sure what causes cats to be born premature. Not sure if these 2 will live.

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Both kittens are finally suckling on mama cat! We have put them to the teats off and on all day. They are very premature so we have to help them while they suckle, and keep mama still by petting her. She still seems to be in labor, licking herself, keeping one leg up, moving around, but nothing else as of yet. She might still have a kit or two left. She is a trooper, but something went terribly wrong for her to have her kits so early. She also doesn't seem very motherly, maybe she is in pain. She doesn't snuggle the kits to keep them warm and doesn't help them to nurse.We have them in the guest bathroom on a heating pad. She continues to lay on them so we have to watch them around the clock. We are exhausted and I have to work all day tomorrow. Thank God for my daughter! She won't leave the kittens or her side. I will update tonight before I go to bed.

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So question, does anyone know why the two surviving kittens would be pooping all by themselves. I have been monitoring constantly and while they were nursing poop started to come out its bottom. Then it happened again with the second one. Then about an hour later one was just laying there and I noticed a little coming out and once I wiped it, it was orang-ish in color and soft kinda looked like diarrhea but just a tad bit. Is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weak sphincter control?

Do you weigh them every day to be sure they add and grow?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Usually mom licks them to stimulate pee and poop, and cleans it up. It should be more on the yellow side eventually. Continue cleaning them up.

Once mom is no longer in labor, she should settle down more.

Please weigh the kittens in grams on a kitchen scale, then weigh each day to ensure they are gaining a few grams a day. If not, they will need supplementing.

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: One of our precious babies died this afternoon. The smallest one. He was eating KRM and suckling the bottle really well. When we fed him for the last time, he ate really well and seemed to be doing good. Its so heartbreaking knowing I couldnt save the poor guy. His brother, the last kitten is holding on. Looks so skinny and doesn't drink the bottle well. I mostly have to force feed, but he is strong enough to nurse on mama cat, when she sits still enough. I just pray this one makes it. Its not looking good. Also mama cat spotted fresh blood today, one spot. She continues to lick herself alot. Is this normal for her? The baby is 4 days old. Also the moms sister keeps trying to take the last baby away and nurse it and take care of it herself. We keep finding it in her house. She had kittens also 5 weeks ago and the baby nurses well on her. Should I let it join her since her own mom is not very motherly? Or keep them separated? Any advice on this is appreciated.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for the loss of the one baby... Mom can bleed for a week or a little longer after the babies are born... Are you weighing the baby every day? As long as it is gaining there shouldn't be an issue with letting the other cat nurse it as long as her babies aren't fighting it off of the nipples.
Do you need help locating a low cost clinic to get your mommas spayed?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sisters or friends are often coparenting so this isnt a problem. Problem will be is she is empty And thus he is "dry nursing"

Weighting every day even 12 hours essential to know what exactly is going on what advices to give what to do.

frootloops20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I do not have any way of weighing the baby. But he made it through the night and hair is starting to grow over his legs feet and face. I might try letting the other mama take him, but I noticed when she tried last night, the real mama got nervous and was chasing after her to get the baby back. It may stress her out too much since he is the only one left. And I'm afraid they may hurt the baby taking it back and forth. I already have vouchers to get the mamas spayed as soon as there milk dries up.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, in this situation surely best if you have momma and her biological baby where its calm and cozy, and let momma do her best in peace.