Help! Male chasing female!

delapuente17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just recently adopted two new kittens a few days ago! The female is 8 months and male 7 months old.
We wanted to get two cats so they would provide one another company since they will be indoor only cats. We unfortunately just lost our beloved cat Nipsy a couple weeks ago. He was run over even though he was RARELY outside. Broke my heart. So now I won't risk it!
Anyway! I figured that even though these cats aren't related they might be a good match since they were in the same cage together. However now I'm concerned because the male chases the female and she HATES IT. They seem to get along fine other than some territorial issues in the very beginning. The chasing ends with some pretty nasty fighting though.
Any suggestions on how to keep him from chasing her? It seems like he's doing it for play... He's a very energetic kitten. And he doesn't care that she hisses and scratches him.
Help! I want to keep them both!

Don't know if this is important but male, his name is Creep, was returned to the shelter a month after adoption by other family and we got him 2 weeks later.
Could this have effected his behavior?

sillywabbit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You didn't mention if they are fixed? Playing is normal, but they just seem to have different personalities. And let's face it, don't kittens just seem to love the chase? Well, boy kittens lol.

I would recommend YOU playing with him a little more if you can. But this seems natural. Can you clip their nails so the play doesn't get too aggressive, and maybe get a cat condo or something she can withdraw to when the play gets too rough?

They sound adorable...do you have any pics if them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

delapuente17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops! Yes they are both fixed.
We have a couple cat condos and she has a high place that she sometimes runs to.
So this sounds pretty normal? Will maybe die down with age?
Hopefully that image works! First time using this site. If it does female is Khalessi the calico and Creep is all black.

Thanks for your help!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
your kitties are beautiful =)

don't worry, chasing, scratching and hissing are a part of play.

My cats do it all the time. Charlie (male 5mo. fixed) chases Jet (3 mo. old fixed Female) all over the place. She runs, and scratches and they bunny kick each other and sometimes she gets annoyed and hisses at him..but its nothing serious. I always keep an eye on them when they're playing..and if I feel they get TOO aggressive (which Charlie does sometimes) i separate them. I crate them both for about 5 mins, let them calm down...let them out, give them treats and they go right back to playing. its normal. Sometimes Jet is the instigator...

This sounds like similar behavior that you're having. Don't stress, just keep an eye on them and separate them if you feel worried.

I agree with @sillywabbit  , you should also play with them. Play with the same toy with both of them. Giving each one a turn with the toy. It helps them to bond with each other and most importantly with you.

Good luck with your fur babies!