Help, Lump on my cat’s face

ChatBlanc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued this little kitty off of the streets in August of 2017. He did have problems like ear mites and parasites that I did take care of, but nothing really like this. It is not the biggest lump on the side of his face, but it is still very concerning. Usnavi is a very important cat to me and I am afraid that it could potentially be a tumor of some sort. My little sister pointed it out this morning, so I presume that is when this all started since he does go outside a lot. Please help me.

Bellow I have attached a photo of the lump on my poor boy. His behavior is the same as always, but he worries me.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given his age and that he does go outside, my knee jerk is an abscess. Do you have a vet you can see? If so, it is a relatively simple treatment and completely worth having a vet take care of so it heals smooth and fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChatBlanc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Given his age and that he does go outside, my knee jerk is an abscess. Do you have a vet you can see? If so, it is a relatively simple treatment and completely worth having a vet take care of so it heals smooth and fast.
I do have a vet nearby, if that is what that is. I hope it isn’t something to worry about too awfully much. This boy has scared me before with his sicknesses.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Out of all the lumps and bumps I've had on my five cats over the last 25 years, only one bump was a tumor. The rest (and it seems like I find a lump or bump at least once every three months) has been an abscess. Abscess usually get big seemly overnight and may start leaking pus if left untreated. You vet would open it (never open it at home as you can make it worse), drain it, decide if it needs a drain or not for several days, and administer antibiotics. My boy had one on his face about a year and a half ago. My vet didn't put a drain in because of where it was but I had to clean it and keep it from scabbing over for several days so it would continue to drain. Abscess are basically pockets of infection usually from a scratch or other wound that get trapped under skin when the wound heals over. The times I haven't seen a vet it can take weeks to heal and might come back, seeing a vet you are looking at maybe a week and it won't come back. So much easier to see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChatBlanc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Out of all the lumps and bumps I've had on my five cats over the last 25 years, only one bump was a tumor. The rest (and it seems like I find a lump or bump at least once every three months) has been an abscess. Abscess usually get big seemly overnight and may start leaking pus if left untreated. You vet would open it (never open it at home as you can make it worse), drain it, decide if it needs a drain or not for several days, and administer antibiotics. My boy had one on his face about a year and a half ago. My vet didn't put a drain in because of where it was but I had to clean it and keep it from scabbing over for several days so it would continue to drain. Abscess are basically pockets of infection usually from a scratch or other wound that get trapped under skin when the wound heals over. The times I haven't seen a vet it can take weeks to heal and might come back, seeing a vet you are looking at maybe a week and it won't come back. So much easier to see a vet.
Thank goodness. Yes, we will definitely take him to the vet as soon as we can. I’m a little paranoid, admittedly. My grandfather’s cat had bone cancer, and tumors on his legs grew to the point where it hurt him to walk. Surprisingly though, he did still manage to live 18 full years with the cancer. I worried my boy would suffer through a situation like that. Relieved that this is what it is. My mother also informed me that when I was younger, our other cats had these abscess things at some point in time, so I am very glad to know that it’s treatable. Although I am worried it’s location may be a bit hard to deal with.