Help! Loudmouth Cat in a Small Apartment!

mollypop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.

I have the sweetest tabby, rescued from a foster home at 5 mos., spayed, healthy, now a year old. The problem is I'm moving into a small apartment with a roommate and I'm concerned about how much she meows.

I know that she is generally meowing for attention but I can't get her to break the habit after months of trying. Per the general advice on breaking the meowing habit I've found, I ignore her when I first get home from work and go about my business. She still greets me at the door with loud plaintive meows which continue for a long time. When she finally quiets down, I'll go over to pet and play with her but the second I get close, she starts up meowing again. She sits at the door meowing nonstop when I'm in the bathroom too.

She also does this weird thing where she'll sit in the other room meowing loudly, wanting me to come to her to play. When I finally enter the room (even if it's not to play, just to pass by) she runs to the other room and meows there.

I've bought her tons of toys and try to play with her and give attention as much as I can - when she's quiet of course so I don't reward the meowing. I've checked that she's healthy, litter is clean, food is there - none of these are the problem. She's just a loud cat but I'm very concerned about my roommate and neighbors will begin to complain. Help!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't ignore her at all when you come in. Her cup is empty, she misses you and shes protesting because you are ignoring her. Cats do not like to be ignored.

I have a big cry baby cat. I just go to him when he cries and thats the end of his crying. He will cry from other rooms, so I will go to him and he will just rub his head all over me and purr, so its all good.

Some kitties just need more than others, thats all.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Some cats are just vocal. It's not necessarily bad behavior that you can correct. Have you tried doing the opposite? Play with her immediately when you get home and give her lots of attention when she's meowing? Does she stop meowing when you're playing with her?

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad she can't have another kitty friend - maybe she'd get/give enough attention then?

I love a cat that talks to me!

Why can't she come into the bathroom with you? I thought every cat did!

Could be that the roommate will help give her the attention she craves?

Get a sling and carry her around when you're home - maybe that will help fill her "cup".

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Siamie does the same thing. She is a Siamese mix and they are just very vocal breed. Daisy also does this thing where she walks around carrying one of DH"s socks and meows, usually in the middle of the night. You hardly hear a peep out of my boys, however.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple loudmouth girls, and Siri who has random bouts of really loud yowling - but only if she's on the other side of the house from you.

With MewMew and Tanna the only thing that helps is to give them what they want, attention. That or find something that holds their attention. These cats are just a little more demanding than the other (personality wise) and just need more mental stimulation to keep them happy.
As a kitten, Tomas, used to be stuck pretty far up my butt and refused to be left alone without crying his head off - I carried him around with me in the house until he was around 9 months old and stopped it.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I carried him around with me in the house until he was around 9 months old and stopped it.
Hahah I know about that. Sometimes, Im busy, in the middle of something, so I just pick Kiko up and carry him with me and hes fine with it, as long as he can be close.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others, your cat is a talker.

Ignoring her is not going to make her stop meowing. She needs more attention, not less.

If you think your roommate is going to object to your cat, you may want to rethink the roommate, find a roommate who likes cats. Be honest before the move letting your roommate know you have a talky cat, otherwise you may run into serious problems later.

Moving is going to be very stressful for her.

Get some feliway plug in diffusers to help her feel more secure. Get them now, before the move, and use them in the new place too.

Also some rescue remedy may help relieve anxiety.