Help! Kitty with intestinal lymphoma won't eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear Krash pooped on the floor.  
  Is he still walking around okay and climbing his cat tree?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he's fine, Acting completely normal. Maybe even a bit better than normal. That hasn't happened again. It was so random, and I still can't come up with an explanation for it.

tinybash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe just a little disorientated if he was sleeping. My last cat, Gerry, used to poop while he was sleeping then wake up and look at daisy and missy as though it must have been one of them :) He was 21 and it wasn't a regular occurrence so I came and went with him... p.s. try telling a non animal lover these things lol

How has Krash been after coming off his chemo? Is he feeling better?

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So it's been a couple of days. Krash had 3 really good days. Was eating a LOT, always wanted to cuddle, was going on the balcony every day several times...and then last night happened. He started having problems breathing. It was really forced, heavy breaths. I sat with him, petted him until he calmed down enough to close his eyes. His breathing stabilized and I went to bed. When I woke up this morning, it was the same so I wasn't terribly concerned. They told me because he's anemic that his breathing would be somewhat forced since the blood is thinner and his lungs & heart have to work harder.
He has hardly eaten at all yesterday and today; Maybe a half of one can of fancy feast is all. Just about an hour ago, he starting heaving like he was going to throw up. He spit up clear saliva, nothing else. But in the middle of it, he started choking. His back was completely arched and he was on his toes, gasping for air. It was horrible & scary. I immediately called the ER to let them know I was on my way with him. As soon as I got his carrier out, he walked up to me and meowed, then went to the kitchen like he wanted food. He's totally fine now except for the regular slightly heavy breathing. I still want to take him to the hospital, but I KNOW they'll do X-rays, which means sedation. And I promised him no more sedation. He can't handle it anymore. I'm keeping my promise.
I should add, he is almost completely his normal self. The only different things are his breathing heavily, the not eating very much (again), he didn't use the litterbox normally yesterday (it was a few very small amounts, but today was ok), & he's had trouble getting sounds out lately. A meow comes out more like a forced breath- Every once in awhile it will be a little scratchy meow.
My husband thinks it's time to let him go to rest. I don't know what I think anymore. I feel like I've been waiting for a sign or for him to "tell" me. What if I've gotten signs and didn't realize it? The only thing on my mind is that I don't want to let my baby suffer. And based on his mostly normal behaviors, I still don't think he is. But what if I'm wrong? Or what if I'm right and I put him to sleep before his time? This is excruciating.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm at least glad to hear he had some good days before all of this.  

The breathing heavy and coughing/choking makes me wonder about fluid building up in his lungs or chest cavity. Are you still giving Krash fluids? If so, remember what @Dan32 said about fluids (see post #73). You may want to ask the vet about this and whether or not you should continue. I can only imagine how scary that must have been.  

Good for you for keeping your promises to Krash. I'm sure he appreciates that.

I think you'll know when it is time. Trust yourself. Trust Krash to tell you. You'll want it to be peaceful.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry Krash is not feeling well. I agree with Goholistic, you need to trust yourself and your instincts. No one knows Krash better than you or loves him more.
Sending you both lots of hugs and vibes.

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
goholistic goholistic & happybird happybird Thank you for replying. I'm about to take krash to the vet. I think that there is something to the idea that he got too much of the sub q's and its in his lungs. I'm scared to death to make this trip. More so than any of the other trips we've made because I know that it's very likely I won't have my kitty at the end of the day. Please, please keep Krash in your thoughts and prayers. I am so scared right now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hoping and praying it's something that can be "fixed"

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for still thinking of him. He isn't well. His breathing problems don't appear to be with his lungs. He's more anemic than he was 2 weeks ago and they think that's what causing his labored breathing. He doesn't have enough red blood cells, which carry oxygen, so it's harder for him to feel like he's getting a good breath. He isn't in pain, and he's mostly not uncomfortable. It doesn't appear to bother him at all. But...there isn't anything else they can do for him. He's started the downhill part of his journey, and his vet thinks he will slide down fairly quick from here. It's not "time" just yet, but if I had to guess (and his Dr. agrees), I'll be making the decision in the next week or so. The reality of it is unless there is some miracle and he starts regenerating red blood cells, he isn't going to get any better anymore.
I'm beside myself thinking about all of this. After the 14 amazing years that he's given me, the least I can do for him is let him rest. I will gladly take his pain for myself so he never has to feel it. I just don't know what I'm gonna do without my baby.

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG, I'm sorry I haven't been able to check in lately. I read your post and my heart sank. You must be going through so much right now. This is just so sad, I'm so sorry!!! Message me if you need to!!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, @Krashballz.  
  I know this hurts a great deal knowing what lies ahead.  Krash has lived a marvelous life with you. You said it yourself -  "...14 amazing years that he's given me..."

I know it's easier said than done, but try to rejoice in the life Krash lived and be at peace with his destiny.  

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today is Krash's last day with us. He's very weak and having a hard time walking today. It hurts to see my baby like this, and I can't rightfully let him get any further than this. It's my obligation as his human to protect him from pain and fear and discomfort. And I know that's coming next. It's my responsibility out of love to do what I have to do. I plan to be the last thing that Krash sees and hears before he passes.
Before that happens, I've decided we're gonna go somewhere today. He loved going for walks in the cemetery down the street. And while he's too weak to walk, he knows I'll carry him. And he'd love to just lie in the grass and enjoy being outside. We're gonna take some food & treats, and have a little kitty picnic while we're there. I'm gonna take him to see his Grandma & Grandpa. And his Auntie Staci and Uncle Lonnie. They're all grieving almost as bad as my husband and myself. This cat is loved by so many people. He is so much more than a pet. He's a family member. My husband is taking this harder than he did when his mother passed away last year.
I believe that Krash has been with me longer than his 14 1/2 years. And I fully believe he'll be with me much longer after this in some form or another. He is my soul mate. No one "got" me, no one loved me like he does. It's going to be so hard to say goodbye. But we've had a good damn run for 14 years, and it's time. Most people won't ever get to feel the love I felt with this kitty. He taught me so much about life, love, responsibility and myself. I'm going to miss him terribly. Words can't even describe. I'm turned inside out right now. I hope he doesn't ever leave me, even after he's gone. WE ONLY GET ONE PET LIKE THIS. And I am SO grateful that he was mine. My little King of cats...

Status
Not open for further replies.