Help! Kittens with Ringworm

Lmic0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are fostering three female kittens that have ringworm. They were diagnosed on 1/3/23 and have been in quarantine since (we have a dog and toddler). The vet prescribed us a topical and oral to use for 21 days and advised us NOT to give any baths until the ringworm clears up. I am seeing from lots of resources, that a sulfur lime dip is used twice per week to help kill the spores. The kittens now seem to be getting worse and they are so flaky and messy looking. I'm just wondering if this no bath thing is good advice or if we're supposed to expect them to get worse before getting better. Does anyone have any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lmic0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and thank you for fostering three kittens. This TCS Article about Ringworm may have lots of helpful information and tips for you including your concern about a lime-sulfur dip (scroll down to treating ringworm):
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you! We have a follow up with the vet next week, so hopefully we'll have some good news. I'm feeling more optimistic as there seems to be improvement, even thought it's still present. They are now 8 weeks and hoping to get this cleared up ASAP so we can get them to good homes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
They are now 8 weeks and hoping to get this cleared up ASAP so we can get them to good homes.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the kittens and you. :crossfingers: Please keep us updated on their progress after the follow up visit next week.

kaytekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I’m also a foster with a newly diagnosed ringworm infection in an 8-week old kitten.

Kitten 1 is miserable, isolated for just 4 days now in a bathroom. His ringworm is so far just on his face. His former roommate, Kitten 2, is negative (so far) and I keep him in my spare bedroom “cat room.” He would have had direct exposure to the ringworm as he and other kitty slept together in a cube. I also have 3 free roaming house cats who appear to be negative.

What, in your experiences, is the likelihood that he will get it also?He has an adopter who is patiently waiting to take him home. He has had a ringworm dip but isnt on oral meds as preventative.​

I put my 5 month old foster in with him just to keep him company. She is not happy. She had limited exposure previously to the kittens pre-ringworm diagnosis. I know I’m potentially putting her at risk but was worried about Kitten 2’s socialization as he came to me very very timid.

Also the cleaning process terrifies me immensely. I feel like I am living in spores. I feel underprepared to handle this. I’m just sweeping/swiffering both rooms with Rescue and spraying lysol (while kitties are out of room). Reading that others are using hepa vacs on floors and walls daily makes me fee like I am not doing anything enough!!!

Any insights? Also would it be ok if i hired a cleaner to come in and clean the rest of my house weekly? I would tell them the situation ahead of time so they have information to decide yea or no.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lmic0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the kittens and you. :crossfingers: Please keep us updated on their progress after the follow up visit next week.
Quick update: The vet said the kittens look like they're getting better but to still keep them isolated. We're now doing a medicated bath twice/week (rather than the topical) and an increased potency of the oral. They are looking so much better and are dying to explore. I feel so bad for them. Our next appointment is on 2/14, so hopefully we'll get the clear for them to socialize freely and start looking for good homes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update. :thanks: So glad the kittens are getting better and I'm not surprised they can't wait to explore. Good luck at their next appointment on Feb. 14. Hopefully the vet will clear them to socialize which would be a nice Valentine's Day surprise. 💖