Help! Jealous diva kitty!

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, Khaleesi (3 years old) and Lexi (8 years old) both spayed females. They never really bonded, they generally tolerate each other but Khaleesi always seemed afraid of Lexi for some reason...like if she is playing and Lexi walks into the room Khaleesi will stop playing and go sulk. Same thing with giving out treats, Khaleesi will not eat her treats and will run away if Lexi looks at her while she eats them. I have never noticed ANY aggression from Lexi, only thing I have seen aggression wise was Khaleesi attacking Lexi when she gets spun up about something (after claw clipping, if I kick her out of my seat etc) she will redirect and attack Lexi. However Lexi usually just takes it and doesn't fight back. 

So here's what changed. I got a feliway diffuser. Khaleesi is a nervous kitty, noises make her run and hide frequently so I decided to get the diffuser to see if it would calm her down and make her feel less stressed. What has happened is Lexi seems to have become more social and playful, trying to initiate Khaleesi in play more and being friendly...but here comes the issue, Khaleesi has turned into a giant brat. She attacks Lexi all the time, but really goes after her if I pet/play with Lexi or if Lexi is meowing at me. She has always been jealous, she follows me around and watches me when I pet Lexi with angry swishy tail...but it seems like the feliway has given her confidence or something changed because now she is not holding back AT all. I feel so bad for Lexi who just wants to be friends and Khaleesi wants to hurt her because she doesn't like sharing my affections. I need help, I don't want to yell at Khaleesi when she hits Lexi because I feel like that will just make things worse...Khaleesi will associate Lexi with being yelled at/mommy being upset. 

I really need advice on how to cool angry diva cat tempers and get these girls to be friends.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh that's not what you'd expect to happen with Feliway!

It sounds as if Kahleesi is a new kitty to Lexi.  I would try something to build positive associations.  Do they eat near each other?  Are there any favorite, special toys that you can bring out for time together?  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats do have thins strongly negative reaction to Feliway. I'd stop using that, and maybe try Spirit Essences instead. Composure or Zylkene is another option, and might be a good idea short term to help Kahleesi calm down again.

Another way to boost confidence (and leave less energy for fighting) is daily interactive playtime with each of them, making sure to end the play with a meaty treat/snack.

[article="30274"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="29658"][/article][article="0"][/article]