Help! Is This Definitely A Bengal X!?!?!

Do you think no this is a bengal X?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marie2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my kitten nala, now 14 weeks old. My partner and I purchased her from a couple claiming their bengal cat had been made pregnant by a cat that they did not know. Therefore advertised her as a Bengal X. She definitely has the personality of a bengal as she is completely and utterly crazy and very vocal compared my DLH. She is climbing curtains, constantly playing and eating A LOT of food. Since researching the breed and some forums discussing bengal X's I feel as though my partner and I have been ripped off, she was expensive for a cat and we did not see any paperwork proving the mother was actually a bengal. I'm just wanting some feed back on what people are thinking and wondering where I can take her to get her breed confirmed professionally. (The vets refer to her as a bengal x, perhaps because that's what I said she was though :/) any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a picture of the mother would definitely help more......I would insist on seeing the mother's papers. If they can't produce them, then insist on a refund or take them to small claims court. The trouble with striped cats is that MANY can have this pattern to their coats. I hope you didn't pay much, I don't know how anyone can charge so much for a cross, dog or cat, they still are a crossbred. I wouldn't let them get away with this if they are representing kittens as Bengal x and they aren't. If they can produce papers or at least some kind of proof, then everything is fine, they can charge what they can get.
Your Nala is absolutely beautiful, she has aa amazingly expressive face, I can just see the mischief in her eyes. You can't help but fall in love with her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marie2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we collected her the mother was out so we were unable to see her. I didn't even think about papers at the time either, so I'm guessing it's my own fault really. I'm pretty naive to be honest and just fell in love with how cute she was. I have don't have the ladies number we got her from but she was advertised as £250 but we paid £200 for her in the end. Feel like iv been pretty stupid :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel that way,people that take advantage of others are pretty smart and can fool anyone. It's not like I haven't spent too much on something I 'had' to have!It seems pretty suspicious that mother was 'out', do you know where you picked up the kitten? If they can't help you by showing you the papers I would definitely turn them into the police for fraud. Can you find the telephone number on your phone log? Or call your telephone carrier and request a log of that months phone calls. There has to be some way to track them down, keep your eye on the site you saw the kitten advertised to see if they try again. I feel for you, it sounds more and more sispicious. Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that no matter what, the kitten is still a cross. There are registered purebreds that don't conform to their breed, so unless a DNA was performed there is no certain way of knowing. You have a beautiful kitten that will be a wonderful family member. It just makes me so mad that low lifes are out there preying on innocent people to make a buck. I hope ebvrything turns out, keep us informed how things are going!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely a gorgeous cat! I think with that pattern, color, and body shape, some Bengal influence is possible, but it's hard to know exactly how much. Mom might have also been a Bengal x DSH. You can always do a DNA test if you want to be sure.

Mary Nielsen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG what a beautiful little kitten! :)))

I think that it could be a part Bengal, I dont know but those stripes look that way..

Anyway its a beautiful little cutie pie :))

Nala is a beautiful name for her too

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with stefanz, bengal ancestry is probable but I don't think it was a direct parent. Mama was probably a bengal and domestic mix herself.
Sadly that pattern is all too common in the DSH gene pool and ridiculous people take advantage of this and with the fact that kittens of any breed often all look the same until they get about a year old and bam. It looks nothing like breed standard lol.
I'm sorry someone took advantage of you, this happened with my Balinese- who was supposed to be a Himalayan. People are money hungry in this world.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Don't feel too bad. You got a very nice kitty who has the Bengal personality you were looking for, as well as a beautiful pattern- and you did end up paying less than you would have for a pedigree cat.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Any cat without papers is most likely a mix and not worth much. You got ripped off even if the mother was a Bengal with papers. No kitten without papers is worth $200.00. I hope you can get at least part of your money back, you can threaten to turn them in to the police for fraud. Mixed kittens are a dime a dozen and most of them are free.
Many years ago I got a young cat which was a genuine purebred seal point Himalayan with papers. It was the runt of the litter and the small time breeder who was a neighbor did not want her bred so she showed the papers but did not want to give them to me so that I would not go and breed her anyway. This cat was a FREE gift for my daughter who had admired the cat for a long time and was really good friends with the breeder. I was happy to take the cat without papers and got her spayed immediately. My daughter named her Chi-Chi Chocolate Marshmallow Princess since she knew that pure bred cats always got fancy names. Of course she went by Chi-Chi and she lived with us for many years.
Last November I picked up from PetsMart a big fuzzy cat that went as a Maine Coon mix, no papers, 11 1/2 years old. Yes, I got him for a lower donation because of his age, a "senior" cat. He's huge and red with barely any stripes on his face and none anywhere else, tip of tail is white. Upon examining him very thoroughly and measuring and weighing him I decided that he may very well be a pure bred but could not be advertised as such because he had no papers. He has all the earmarks but the tufted ears and not all Maine Coons have those, he's very affectionate, he has a small voice, chirps and trills, his fur does not tangle but is very thick including fur between his toes, his paws are huge but no extra toes, huge fluffy tail, big britches and really long hair on shoulders and hips. Do I care if he is not pure bred? No, I've got a wonderful beautiful cat, that's all I care about.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with Stefanz and haleyds, I do see some bengal in her, but it is difficult to tell how much. If some of her spots end up becoming rosettes, then you will be more certain. If they do not, It doesn't really mean anything, and you would still need the DNA test to find It out.
I still think that 200£ is expensive for a non purebreed, as you can find "retired" purebreed bengals for that price or even less un the UK, which are show/breeding quality. Not kitten, but certainly young (between 2 and 5, often), with already "settled" purrsonalities, neutered, with all vaccinations and most of them well socialized. Maybe you can consider being the forever family of one of these when you decide to give Nala a companion.
Anyway, Nala is really beautiful, you can be proud of having her in your family. Update pictures of her so we can follow her growth and she how she evolves!