Help! Is the cat pregnant, or did it already have the kittens?!

vodkalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was looking around the internet for info on cats and came across this site. Hopefully someone here can help me.

Last night my boyfriend and I were sitting out on his porch when we heard some meowing coming from somewhere near us. We looked and underneath my car was a little cat. We called and she came. She has a flea collar and does not have her front claws, leading us to believe that she is an indoor cat. Since it was about 2 am, we could not ask his neighbors if she was theirs. He lives on a very busy and dangerous road, so instead of seeing her get injured, we decided to take her into his garage where we have couches and comfortable chairs. She was very friendly and the more we pet her, the more we realized that her nipples were very large and distended. She began looking around the room, as if she was nervous. This lead me to believe that she was pregnant and would birth kittens soon. At the time the thought never occurred to me that she might have ALREADY given birth and had, for some reason, left her kittens to roam around. However, she did get out of the garage at one point and was in no hurry to be anywhere. In fact, she walked back into the garage without us forcing her to.

So I guess what I'm wondering is: should I be preparing a place for her to have the kittens, or could she already have had them somewhere?! She is a VERY tiny cat and her stomach hangs down. When I feel her stomach, there seems to be bulges, but are these just the milk sacks? Also, if she already had her kittens, why would she leave them when they obviously still need her milk? I'm just full of questions about this whole situtation, as I am eager to help this young mother that I came across. Please, if you have any information to offer, it would be greatly appreciated.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by VodkaLyn

I was looking around the internet for info on cats and came across this site. Hopefully someone here can help me.

Last night my boyfriend and I were sitting out on his porch when we heard some meowing coming from somewhere near us. We looked and underneath my car was a little cat. We called and she came. She has a flea collar and does not have her front claws, leading us to believe that she is an indoor cat. Since it was about 2 am, we could not ask his neighbors if she was theirs. He lives on a very busy and dangerous road, so instead of seeing her get injured, we decided to take her into his garage where we have couches and comfortable chairs. She was very friendly and the more we pet her, the more we realized that her nipples were very large and distended. She began looking around the room, as if she was nervous. This lead me to believe that she was pregnant and would birth kittens soon. At the time the thought never occurred to me that she might have ALREADY given birth and had, for some reason, left her kittens to roam around. However, she did get out of the garage at one point and was in no hurry to be anywhere. In fact, she walked back into the garage without us forcing her to.

So I guess what I'm wondering is: should I be preparing a place for her to have the kittens, or could she already have had them somewhere?! She is a VERY tiny cat and her stomach hangs down. When I feel her stomach, there seems to be bulges, but are these just the milk sacks? Also, if she already had her kittens, why would she leave them when they obviously still need her milk? I'm just full of questions about this whole situtation, as I am eager to help this young mother that I came across. Please, if you have any information to offer, it would be greatly appreciated.
The best way to determine if this cat has been pregnant or is now pregnant is to take her to a vet. Is there a vet clinic that you can take her to tomorrow? Also, I would not let her out of your garage until you have her seen by a vet.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vodkalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
take her to a vet tomorrow, before I have to work. Hopefully tonight my boyfriend and I will walk around the neighborhood, asking if anyone has lost a cat. If they have, I guess we'll find out if she has had the kittens or will have the kittens. Until then we're feeding her and making sure she's comfortable.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by VodkaLyn

take her to a vet tomorrow, before I have to work. Hopefully tonight my boyfriend and I will walk around the neighborhood, asking if anyone has lost a cat. If they have, I guess we'll find out if she has had the kittens or will have the kittens. Until then we're feeding her and making sure she's comfortable.
That's good to hear, let's hope she does have an owner..and if she does....you can pass along these low cost clinics so they can get her spayed so she won't get pregnant again. By the way...welcome to TCS and thanks for taking this girl in.

INDIANA
Spay/Neuter Assistance Program
Fort Wayne, IN
219-427-1244
Spay/neuter assistance for pets of low income residents of Allen County. Proof of financial need is required.
Pet Neutering and Adoptions Services, Inc
PO Box 161
DeMotte IN 46310
219-987-7297

FACE Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic
1505 E. Massachusetts Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46201
317-638-3223
Web: www.facespayneuter.org
Low cost spay/neuter, vaccinations, testing, and heartworm/flea medications. FACE stands for Foundation Against Companion Animal Euthanasia. Services for ferals and pets.

Hendricks County Humane Society
317-745-8181

Johnson County Humane Society
317-767-9696

Humane Society for Hamilton County
317-773-4974

Spay/Neuter Services of Indiana
Indianapolis and surrounding areas 317-788-6330
Web: www.spayneuterservices.org

Humane Society of Indianapolis
Indianapolis, IN
317-872-5650
Lower cost spay/neuter for pets of qualified low income people.

Humane Society of Morgan County
Martinsville, IN
317-349-9177
Low cost spay/neuter for pets of qualified low income people.

Help support our ongoing work on this directory by linking to our cat furniture pages.

Dearborn County Friends of Animals Inc
Aurora IN
812-537-0046

Harrison County Commissioners Project for S/N
Elizabeth IN
812-969-2615

Neuter Scooter North Central Indiana Spay & Neuter Clinic
1-866-662-5838
A clinic in a van visits various locations in Indiana and Ohio and performs low cost s-n.

The neuter scooter is in Indiana for July/August...it only charges $40 for a spay if you set up an appt. on line:

http://www.neuterscooter.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vodkalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just as I got your reply, my boyfriend called to tell me they were going to let the cat (Sasha, as we've named her) out of the garage! I think he was a little taken aback when I told him the measures I've gone to to determine what her situation is. Anyhow, he's not letting her out.

As for joining this site, I think it's about time I did. I'm an animal lover in all respects and cats seem to be my focus as of late. I have my own kitty at home, named Zora. My boyfriend has the most tempremental cat known to man, named Poochka. Recently at his house we've had encounters with 3 feral cats. One of them we've named Leroy (although she is a girl), and she now lives in his basement until we have her declawed and spayed. Another one, Milkshakes, was moved out to my house because we were afraid of her being hit by a car on his road. My country road is much safer for her, and the amish that live behind my house have plenty of barn cats that she can mingle with. As for this little girl that we've found, hopefully she does have an owner and they will get her spayed as soon as possible. There are entirely too many feral cats in the area, as our encounters prove.

I'd like to thank you for the information on the clinics in my area. I live near Fort Wayne (Allen county), but I don't think I would qualify for the low-income clinic that serves my area. The Neuter Scooter isn't stopping by my area, either. However, the local paper had an article in it a few weeks ago about a new program in the area to spay/neuter feral cats. Hopefully I can find the information again and take advantage of what it has to offer.

Thanks again for your reply and interest. It's very appreciated.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would still contact the Neuter Scooter...they charge $20 for a feral cat and if you have enough...they may be able to arrange to come out that way for an entire day. They have been in Indiana for a while so they may have already been to your area...if not and there is a huge cat problem...they may be able to come out.

Katie

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if she has babies she will try most probably try to escape to feed them.

whilst its wonderful yor helping these cats, and a great many people are not as kind hearted or as charitable as you, is it nessicary to have them de-clawed when she gets spayed?

not trying to start a debate here, (there are pleanty in imo) but there are alternatives

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are declawing these cats then some rescue organizations will not work with you at all. Many are (for good reason ) dead-set against declawing cats, especially former feral cats because they can and do escape at times outdoors and they need their claws to survive.

I truly hope you use this website and research the articles found in the health and behavior sections (not in the forums) and find out the viable alternatives to declawing a cat before you decide on declawing again-