Help - Is My Cat As Sick As I Think? Picture.

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all

So my female kitten (spayed, 5.5months old) has been avoiding eating today and yesterday at least, eating little or nothing. Managed to get her to eat about 30mins ago by hand feeding then eventually bringing the bowl back and encouraging her, she ate about half/3 quarters of a sachet. She's just gone to poop and the colour is off for her, it's usually dark but the last one was a weird yellowy/grey colour. Looked like clay but kinda wet (picture below, one with and one without flash, sorry in advance). I'm taking her to vets in morning - it's midnight here in the UK - but I'm not sure how serious this could be.
IMG_20191002_003558.jpg IMG_20191002_003611.jpg
Also, changed 3 days ago to silica litter and she's been trying to eat it but usually spitting it back up, and I've been forcing her to if I notice it. I'm not sure if she's swallowed any. Could this be causing issues? If so, I'll be getting rid of it.

Thanks so much.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trying to eat litter can be a sign of anemia or not getting enough nutrients in general (it’s the same as pica in humans!), a vet visit is definitely a good idea.

As far as the litter goes it’s not good for cats to eat clumping litter because it can get very hard and clumped up in their digestive tracts, in kittens especially it can be dangerous. While you’re figuring out what’s going on with her you might want to head out and grab a bag of non-clumping litter to use in the meantime. When my cat was anemic and ate his litter I switched to exquisicat pine shavings litter and it wasn’t too bad. Not as convenient to scoop but also not as bad for cats to ingest. Paper litter is also non-clumping but I’ve never tried it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she poops again before the vet visit, save it (or some of it) in a plastic bag to bring to the vet for fecal tests. You can refrigerate it for a little while beforehand, if needed.
Good luck to you and your kitty today!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yep change the litter, you dont want her eating it, and you cant supervise her 24/7 all the time she will get to it eventually. Take the poop sample to vet.