help!!! inappetant, vomiting won't stop with vet's injection

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need help! My cat's appetite has declined since Thursday evening, and it is even lower since Friday evening, since when she has also vomitted 5 times. She vomits after eating. In the meantime, she had been on doxycycline for presumable haemobartonella since Tuesday before, and she also went on clindamycin for presumable toxo (I doubt she has toxo, I believe it is just antibodies because she eats rodents all her life). This morning was the last time she took these antibiotics, and in the evening I took her to the vet who did an injection of tagamet (cimetidine), linco-Spectin (lincomycin) and catosal. I gave her a bit food an hour later, she smelled it, walked away and puked white foam!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It seems to me that your vet is just 'throwing meds at your cat and hoping something sticks'. ER vet time, or if you have another vet you can take her to, I would do it - one from an entirely different practice (to avoid colleague bias). The biggest thing is to have all the available information for another vet, so they know what has been given to your cat so far. Ideally, that would be all of her records copied from the current vet, but I am not sure how long you want to wait before you take her elsewhere.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been pooping? Did the vet do an x-ray? I wonder if she's gotten into something poisonous or if she's got a blockage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has pooped since vomits begun. She did have xray too and vets say they don't see anything. I read that the medicine she was injected (tagamet) is an antiacid. Do you think she could need a medicine categorised as antiemetic instead?

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to a different vet! He said we must stop all antibiotics until stomach is healed, and gave her an injection of both antiacid and antiemetic, as well as some subq fluids. And since we returned home I see her being more energetic! I will give her the first spoonful of food in half an hour and am anxious how it will go!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good job on getting her to a different vet! Do you have access to supplements where you're located? If so, try to find saccaromyces boullardi or acidophilis. Both are great for healing the gut.

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She goes to the vet every day for antiemetic and antiacit injection and subq fluids. She wouldn't try prescription g/i food and would vomit gourmet food, so I syringe feed her boiled chicken melted with water since last night. I also give her sucralfate. She hasn't vomited since last night.
I can find :
  • solgar acidofilus plus capsules, and
  • lamberts saccharomyces boulardii 300mg 6 billion organisms per capsule
but how much should I give and how? Also I could a bit of kefir help?