Help! I'm Worn Out!

Jaxac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a 16 week old kitten I was immediately drawn to from the local SPCA. He was actually being shown at PetSmart so I wasn't actually looking but i was feeling an instant connection. I have a one year old cat at home that I've settled into a loving and beautiful routine with. I adopted the kitten five days ago, ignored the introduction advice and that was no problem. The two cats are fine together. They even sleep together. But the kitten has got me me driven nuts. He's needy and won't leave me be. He wants to be on my face. This is especially bad at night. He also developed an infection in his eye which the shelter warned me might happen but I live in an apartment where separation is impossible. He is also having soft poops so everytime he uses he is usually full of poop on his back end and I have to get up and wash him clean. This is all hours. And my relationship with my older cat is completely gone because kitten just takes up all my physical space and time. I am treating him for his poop and eye problems, but I miss my older cat and the love we shared and am tired of dealing with the cleaning and correcting of the kitten. It breaks my heart to think of this kitten having a home for five days then back to a small box at the shelter. But I'm exhausted. Any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Hang in there, time should take care of a lot of things.

You'll have to contain the kitten now and then so you can spend time with your other kitty.

Can you double-check with your vet if some plain pumpkin will help with the soft poops?

Also, give your kitten a ticking clock (if it's too loud you can muffle it with a towel) and a little nest that has a heating pad set on low and covered with a couple towels.

I'm not suggesting these are perfect answers, but hopefully they help you!

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The soft poops could be because of a change in the food if he was eating something different at the shelter than you are feeding at home. If that's the case, it should resolve soon. I imagine he is needy because you have shown him love and given him a home and he is reciprocating that love to his new "momma cat". My relationship with my oldest was hurt for a while when I got the second one but we are stronger than ever and she is the light of my life. I love them both, but she and I have a special bond that will never be replaced.
I know it's exhausting and it's hard not to feel like maybe you made a mistake and it would be easier to put things back to the way they were... but soft poops and an eye infection are temporary, and I think unfortunately you need to just try to hang in there.
Does the new kitten have his own bed? Maybe you can try putting his bed ontop of yours and when he wants to sleep on your face, you can move him to his bed or a designated pillow or something, and show him that's where he should sleep. Eventually you can move his bed to lower on your bed or even the floor (if that's where you want him to sleep). I personally am fine with mine in the bed (they have their own pillows above ours and my feet hang off the bottom lol).
Your older cat will come around, just hang in there and give it time :)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A 16wk kitten is much like a toddler. He will grow more independent as he gets older. He does need lots of love and cuddles right now.

Setting up a quiet place in the bathroom/bedroom with a bed, food, water, and a litter box for a few hrs a day is ok to give everyone a break.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Setting up a quiet place in the bathroom/bedroom with a bed, food, water, and a litter box for a few hrs a day is ok to give everyone a break.
I definitely second this
I got my second one when he was actually only maybe 3-4 weeks old, someone in my building found him in the woods all alone when walking his dog. He was so tiny that had to be bottle fed and no one would take him. By the time a rescue would take him, I had fallen in love. But anyway -- we kept him set up like this in the bathroom overnight. It was hard because he would cry alllll night wanting to be held but my roommate and I already had 2 cats and he was so small it really was best for him and gave us both a chance to spend time with each of respective cats we already had and get some sleep and knew he was safe.