Help Identifying What This Is??

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As of the past few days, 2 of my cats have come up with this weird bloody place on their nose. They're all up to date on shots and it won't be until next week before the vet can see them.

They've not had any sneezing and have seemed very healthy. The only thing is I do have a grumpy cat that has started slapping the others.

Could this be a slap wound or something else?

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is really odd. Is there any chance they could have been bitten or stung by something?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I suppose it is possible that the grumpy cat that is swatting at them is causing lacerations - assuming he still has his claws? And, I gather Mr. Grumpy has no wounds on his nose, right? When you can, monitor what is going on with them and Mr. Grumpy - maybe you will catch him in the act. Otherwise, until you can see the vet, ask them if there is anything OTC treatment that you can treat the spots with to help avoid infection/encourage healing.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I saw another post on here of a cat that had a nose mark and it ended up being a burn - the theory was that a roommate had lit a candle that day.

What Can This Be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.
I'll call them first thing tomorrow to see if there an OTC stuff I can get
I have seen the grumpy one slapping at the others and yes, they all have their claws which we try to keep cut. We don't believe in declawing.
We do cook at night but I haven't seen them on the stove but I guess it could be a burn. I'll keep a closer eye on them until I can get them seen.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is bizarre.
Grumpy man might have seriously good aim if he managed to hit both cats in the same precise spot.
I'm anxious to hear what the vet says. It could be a swat wound by an old man who's a one-shot, or a burn, or a reaction to a new food bowl/blanket/bed/rug/fabric detergent, etc., or maybe some weird virus?
(We feel the same way about declawing kamijo kamijo . We don't think it's a good or humane option.)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible they may have sniffed at something corrosive? Do they access to household cleaners, laundry detergent, something in the garage (if you have one), something outside at a neighbors? It does look like a burn type wound, but many products out their can cause a burn other than heat (flame, stove...).

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible they may have sniffed at something corrosive? Do they access to household cleaners, laundry detergent, something in the garage (if you have one), something outside at a neighbors? It does look like a burn type wound, but many products out their can cause a burn other than heat (flame, stove...).
I'm wondering that, too Jem Jem .
My education barely borders on the second grade level (obviously :biggrin:) but those just don't really look like claw marks to me, especially the first. And the odds of both cats getting a sucker punch in the same exact spot, in such a short time frame, makes me think something else is going on or Ol' Grumpy is a Wizard.:dunno:

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been washing dishes by hand lately and tend to put bleach in the water. Could be they got into it while I wasn't watching.

Also, we have a new kitten and have been feeding it canned wet food. My husband has a bad habit of putting the used cans on the counter. Could that make a place like that? Maybe they licked it and got cut.

I feel so bad about it, I wish the vet had an earlier opening.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t think it looks like a scratch. I think Jem and 1 bruce 1 might be on to something, as there are a surprising amount of household products that can cause skin irritation. Your vet should be able to get everything figured out.

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband says that if they seem worse tomorrow will go to the emergency vet in the next town and have them looked at.

Whatever the cause, we don't want it spending to all the animals and the new kitten.

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: When we woke up this morning more cats had this on their noses. We piled them into the car and took them to the first vet we could find that took walk ins.

They said it was a fungal infection and that it would spread to every cat we had. They gave us this huge thing of penicillin and needles, told us to give them each a shot daily for the next 7 days. They'll also need to be bathed in antibacterial shampoo and we'll have to clean the house top to bottom.

They asked about other animals and we have 2 guinea pigs and 2 turtles. They asked if the cats tend to spend much time around the turtles and we said yes, they like to lay on the 100gl tank we have them in. They asked us how we kept it clean and such. We use this bacteria stuff that eats away the turtles poop and algae in the water.

They said that could have caused it. Since the cats like to lay on top of it and the water evaporates it can carry the bacteria from the water to the cat's nose. So looks like we'll be having to move that to a room we can shut the door.

Then we'll probably going to be scratched all to Hell washing everyone. They took the shots fine and already seem to be feeling better.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you found what it is (and I’m glad it wasn’t something as painful as a chemical burn).

But man, I can guess that the vet’s treatment plan made your stomach drop. Sounds like the next week will not be an easy one, but I’m so glad you found the cause. They will be mich happier kitties once they are back to normal!