Help Identifying Breed

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was given a kitten around Halloween from my brother who got him while on a construction job. The lady was selling them as pure bred Himalayan kittens. I've had 2 in the past and while he does look like them, there are some things that lead me to believe he isn't a pure bred or maybe is but isn't that breed.

One of the things, besides temperament is size. He's now 14 weeks old and a huge 16 inches long without tail. Also, he's already hit 4lbs and 12oz. The vet said he believes he might be a seal point ragdoll and could do a DNA test for me but it'll cost and besides normal vet visits at the moment I don't have the extra funds for it.

So I was hoping someone who owns either breed could give me their thoughts.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s so cute! Without papers, he would be considered a seal point Domestic Longhair. Regarding breed possible breed influences, I don’t see any Himalayan or Ragdoll in him. Himalayans are brachycephalic (meaning flat-faced), and they have a cobby body and short legs. Ragdolls also have a shorter muzzle and stockier body than your kitten, who has a wedge-shaped head, lean body, and long legs. So, taking those things into account, I’d say that Balinese is the closest lookalike.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s so cute! Without papers, he would be considered a seal point Domestic Longhair. Regarding breed possible breed influences, I don’t see any Himalayan or Ragdoll in him. Himalayans are brachycephalic (meaning flat-faced), and they have a cobby body and short legs. Ragdolls also have a shorter muzzle and stockier body than your kitten, who has a wedge-shaped head, lean body, and long legs. So, taking those things into account, I’d say that Balinese is the closest lookalike.
Thank you. I love him so much. I looked them up and he does look a lot like Balinese. It's very confusing with a lot of breeds looking alike. When I get some extra funds I'm going to try the DNA test for sure.

Also, I realized I put this in the wrong thread and have no idea how to move it on mobile. Sorry!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that most cats out there in the world are not of any specific breed ancestry. They are just Domestic cats. You probably have an example where a cat had kittens and the person giving them away thought that because they look a certain way that makes them a certain breed. That is not the case majority of the time. He is gorgeous though!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some use the word himalayan as another word for Pointed coloring.

This was perhaps what the lady meant.
Because there is no way he is a himalayan persian...