Help! I Think My Cat Has Fleas!

Friendlyfelinelady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a one year old cat named Charlie. I found him outside when he was about a month old and he has lived with me ever since. He isn't neutered and he is partially an out door cat and the day before yesterday I saw a little brown bug in his fur. I gave him a bath immediately after finding it and I found the bug on the towel I dried him with yet I saw another one in his fur after that. I took pictures of the bug I found and I'm no longer letting him go outside but I'm not sure exactly what it is or how to get rid of it.

He is the first "sick" cat I've ever owned so I dont know what to do.

Please help. Thanks.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That doesn't appear to be a flea, but I'm not used to seeing them up close under a magnifier. I would suggest getting him to the vet for a check up and any treatment needed. You could also schedule his neuter at that time.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a flea to me. Call your vet and pick up enough flea treatment for 3 months to kill all the lifestages of the fleas that are in your home. I would also greatly suggest setting up an appointment to neuter him while you are at it. Especially if he goes outside. That is the responsible thing to do for his safety and health.

mrgrtt123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The best thing to do is to call and visit your vet to have it check. Your vet will recommend you to use the appropriate flea shampoo and spray to get rid of it.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution is a topical treatment for fleas. One application is good for a month. It kills all stages of fleas. Eggs, larva, and adult forms. But it isn't cheap.

Good luck!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also important to note, Revolution also does heartworm prevention which no one seems to really care much about with outdoor cats which baffles me. It also takes care of intestinal parasites and ear mites.

CreamsiclePuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's a flea. I had to get flea treatment for my boy a couple months ago too. He's also unneutered. I just went down to the vet office and asked at the counter for flea meds. It's a little tube of liquid that you squirt carefully onto the skin at the back of the neck and works for 3 months so that it kills all stages of fleas. If you have more than one cat you need to treat all cats at once in order to kill all the fleas. And don't worry, cat fleas don't live on humans.