Help! I Need a Collar That Doesn't Rub His Fur Off

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently bought my cat, Vincent, a cute bow-tie collar from Pet Smart. I need a collar for him right now because I'm in the process of moving and I want to make sure he'll be able to get back to me if he ever gets out. (they don't microchip cats in this town). The bow-tie collar was very very cute! However, after having worn it for only 5 days, it rubbed his fur off and he also scratched at it and tightened it. I had to take it back and I even requested a recall on it so that they know that the collars are able to be tightened by the cat scratching it!

as you can see, he is very well-suited to a bow-tie. haha.

Anyway, I really want to find him a collar that is made out of something other than that horrible backpack strap material. I don't want him to get all rashy and bald around his neck. Can anyone help me out here? Preferably something designed for cats with a safety release.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If you have a Pet's Supply Plus in your area, they carry breakaway cat collars that are made from soy fibers. I can't remember the brand name, but bough one for my Max.

You can also purchase suede collars (made by Coastal Pets) off Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011EEFGO/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

They also make a green/orange and pink/blue collar like this one. I'd search around for the best price.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of our cats are now wearing collars by Sweet Pickles

They are webbed, but have a ribbon exterior so they are soft against their fur.  I haven't noticed any balding since they are wearing them.

Casper has "The Woodsman" (blue plaid), Cocoa has "The Free Spirit" (sparkly orange).  I had no problem with either of them acclimating to them, although for the first week Casper kept jangling his tag on it lol.

Oh and they have bow ties also!

http://www.sweetpicklesdesigns.com/category/cat-collars

frida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a collar from sphynx closet that is super soft. It is made for naked cats so it has to be soft and not scratchy at all. Plus they come in all kinds of cute patterns

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh these look perfect!! I hope it works out for me!