Help I may have messed up my cats first introduction

Kaylee101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just adopted a beautiful 1.5 year old long haired fixed male but I totally messed up them meeting for the first time 🤦🏼‍♀️ I let him out of his crate five minutes after she saw him as they looked okay then he came out a little bit they sniffed each other and he growled and my cat went crazy a little fight broke out so we separated Immediately and tried again the next day and Casper (male) was still a bit grumpy and Jezebel (resident fixed female) was understandably not happy about this at all after about a week they can be in the same area with supervision and they just hiss and growl a bit but it’s been very slow. Jezebel is still showing aggressive behaviour and he is scared of her but wants to be friends.. we are on week two and I’d love some advice on how to make her feel better and know he’s not a danger to her or us she’s very territorial it seems and watches him none stop if we have his door open she will sit at the door big eyes tale down and kinda sitting in a ball just staring at him she will sometimes give it up and go to another room but will not let him out or she will run at him full force and hiss and meow not nice he bolts for his safe spots and we are trying to stop her but I don’t want to make her more upset. Casper is definitely showing his kitten side still lol and is getting very comfortable around the house I will put Jezebel in our bedroom with my husband early in the morning then let out casper for a bit then put him back in his room and let her out I know it will take time but any advice and help would be amazing Jezebel was a rescue I got her when she was a baby and she is five now and been the only cat in the house till now I can post a video of them too 😁😁😁

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You are doing some of the right things with keeping the cats separated and allowing each to have roaming times without the other one around. But there are other steps that you need to incorporate into your plan, and they are included in the link above that A ArtNJ provided. Two other TCS articles might also be helpful - see links below. One of them talks about introducing a kitten to an older cat - while Casper isn't exactly a kitten and Jezebel is not 'old', she may need to be treated as such since she has been an only cat all this time.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

It sounds like once you tweak your plan, things will eventually smooth out!

hybriseris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I am currently mid-introduction and while I know it feels like it's going slow for you, my cats are just getting comfortable in the same room and it's been two months! The best policy is slow and steady. You certainly haven't ruined anything, especially with how they seem to be progressing. But don't be afraid to take it veeerryyy slow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kaylee101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank so so much everyone if I have any more questions I’ll definitely be back ☺☺☺💖

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kaylee101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow this is today :)) they have doing great since yesterday still have to put Casper away in his bedroom at night and a couple little hisses and growls here and there but no fighting ☺ Thanks so much everyone

Attachments

hybriseris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is wonderful progress!! I find with my two, sometimes, if they have a less than pleasant moment they just need a little break from each other before they try again and looks like the same for your guys. Thanks for the pics and glad there's peace in the valley! 🤣