Help - I have created a monster!

chom-chom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About 3 weeks ago I started to take Chomsky out on walks with a lead and harness. I thought he would enjoy the stimulation, as I remember how much he used to enjoy exploring the backyard of my previous residence. However, now he simply cannot get enough and wants to get out at all hours. Now I feel like I have created an insatiable outdoor loving monster!

Should I stop the leash walks, and hope he just forgets about it?  If I continue them then how do I stop his incessant meowing to go outside at all hours?

I am having some very sleepless nights - 

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you want to continue the walks, maybe try using a very obvious cue that it's "time to go outside"? Perhaps hide his leash at all times until it's time to go out, then when he sees the leash he'll get the idea. I'm sure it will take awhile before he really catches on, but cats learn when dinner time is and where the food is stored. He can figure this out too. In the meantime give him some food or treat puzzles to keep his mind busy?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I often wonder that same thing, since I live in an apartment and my cats cannot go out unless they are on a harness and leash.  If I don't take them out they sit and stare out the window longing to taste freedom.  I don't think it is healthy to be strictly indoors... its not good for humans, how can it be good for cats?  So, I walk mine.  I have one in particular that in spring and fall we do okay because the weather is nice and we can go out a lot, but in summer it is too hot for me and the fleas are too thick where I live, and in winter it is dark when I go to work and dark when I get home and Tati just goes nuts.  She will try to escape out the door all the time when I am not taking her for walks.  She also likes going to Pet Co to get her food and sometimes to the bank or just for a joyride.  They do eventually fall into a routine, and its easier if you don't cave into her demand to go outside, but get her used to your clues, as mentioned above... Generally, we go for our walks at the same time... but cats, just like young children, will whine when unhappy... do you have a timeout room you can put her in when she is driving you nuts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chom-chom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your suggestions. I like the idea of using a cue so he can learn when it is time to go for a walk. I will hide the leash and harness when we are not using it. Lazy me - I have just been leaving it lying around in plain sight.

Yesterday and today we just went out on the balcony, and although it is not quite as stimulating as outside the unit he still enjoys it. He has been much less whiny since I have been doing my utmost to ignore him completely if he is meowing at the door.

As for a timeout room, I will try putting him in the bathroom if it all gets too much!

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are consistent with it, she will learn... might even start going to the bathroom on her own if she feels like pouting.  :D  Good luck to you both!