Help! How much amitriptyline?

kuklachica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet just started our cat, Doe, on amitriptyline. She over-grooms to the point of open sores. He wants us to give her 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening. We gave her some last night, no problem. Gave her some this morning and she is a ZOMBIE. She is sleeping constantly, and even when she gets up she walks a few steps, sits down and zones out, then makes her way back to her basket to sleep. I am afraid to give her the 2nd dose tonight. She seems to be licking less, but it looks to me like she just has no energy to lick.

Do you think it is ok just to give her the one dose per day and then call the vet on Monday regarding her lethargy? Does 10mg per day seem like a lot to start on? What did your cat(s) start on?

We are at our wits' end trying to figure all of this out. But I hate seeing our silly, energetic cat become a complete zombie, with no life whatsoever. does anyone else have any experience with this med??

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would stop the Amitriptyline until you talk to the vet. I know of someone who put her cats on it for behavioral issues (inappropriate urination) & both acted like that. Her vet advised her to stop the medication.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet wanted to put my bridge kitty Redman on Elavil. And if I remember correctly, the vet wanted to start him at 25 mg., which is a human dose. I thought it sounded way too high. We opted against it. This drug does carry a risk of a fairly easy overdose (again I'm talking people, but in animals I imagine it would be the same.) I recommend discussing this with your vet before continuing meds, especially since your cat is lethargic.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cat Kitty was on something similar (for a weak bladder/peeing prob), and after 2 doeses i quite because she was practically falling off the couch with her tongue hanging out. scary stuff. stop giving it until monday, and call the vet then, everything will b fine

maybe it was a coincidence, but she hasnt had peeing problems since the medicine.