Help--how Can I Get My Cat To Tolerate Aerokat?

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one year old kitty Ollie has feline asthma. I am supposed to use the aerokat inhaler to deliver his medicine, but he runs and hides every time he sees it. I watched numerous videos on youtube and have tried offering him treats before and after but nothing is working. In desperation, I tried to burrito wrap him. Big mistake. I am covered with scratches and he is more scared than ever.

Any ideas of how to proceed? He is having 3-4 asthma attacks a day so I really need to getm him acclimated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried the nebulizer chamber? My husband has asthma, so we have a nebulizer. We put our kitty in her carrier and cover it with a towel. Then we hold the nebulizer up to the carrier, with her in it of course. You can also get a large clear plastic tub with a lid, cut a small opening for the nebulizer to fit in, cut out a few vent holes, drop the kitty in and close the lid. Then start the nebulizer. It will fill the chamber and the kitty will breathe it in. Here's an example.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put the rubber face mask part, not the whole device, on the nose for a second and reward with a treat. Or, cut an empty toilet paper tube in half or less and place that over the cat's nose. You can rub a little catnip on the toilet paper tube. I wouldn't do it with the face mask because you'll likely need to buy a replacement mask. Try to do this twice a day and gradually increase the amount of time the mask or toiler paper tube stays on the nose. Always reward with a treat afterwards and praise.

Once your cat isn't fazed with the mak or toilet paper tube on his nose, you can introduce the rest of the inahler. I suggest doing this in the bathroom with the door closed. Bring a bag of treats with you as a bribe. If you can kneel on the floor with the cat tucked between your knees and put the Aerokat over the nose. Keep it there for as long as you can and reward with a treat. The brief quiet hiss of the inhaler might freak out some cats. Just hold your cat firmly and scratch under the chin or wherever you can reach. Then reward.

It took my previous cat about a week to get used to the Aerokat. I started with a toilet paper tube. He initally flinched at the inhaler when it was pressed but soon just held still while I counted the little flap for the number of breaths taken.