Help hiding possibly sick cat

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys my Dad is in the hospital and our youngest cat Sierra 3 to has start behaving differently. Everything was normal Thursday when he went in to the hospital. Friday night her meow was different more hoarse or sad maybe and she wouldn't responded when called just meowed by his chair before tucking herself into a hiding spot that was still visible. She did come around for attention after a little coaxing. Nothing seemed wrong besides the off meow so I figured she missed her pawpaw.

Yesterday she still had that off meow but was much more responsive even seeking out attention. Only now she was drooling and sneezing with some head-shaking but I think that was from drool being fung into her ear from sneezing. But she was moving ok and had a good bit of strength. Then after that she just disappeared on me I've looked, I've opened a can of chicken on the off chance she would come out for it but no luck.

She has hidden from me in the past but came out for my dad and that took a month before she let me see her again. None of the other cats are acting as if something wrong with her nor is my dog freaking out. I mean they are concerned about pawpaw but settled down at phone calls. I even tried video call for Sierra and that just got her mad.

How long do I let her hide before I truly start to panic or start to expect the worst. Like I said I have checked in the other rooms but haven't went digging because im afraid of scaring her more or push her into hiding more.

I don't know why she was drooling and sneezing but her eyes looked ok and her mouth looked ok at first guess I want to say stressed induced uri. I plan a vet visit as soon as I can either in person or video but you need the cat in order to do that.

Im just freaking out and Anxiety is sky high right now any advice would be great.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys my Dad is in the hospital and our youngest cat Sierra 3 to has start behaving differently. Everything was normal Thursday when he went in to the hospital. Friday night her meow was different more hoarse or sad maybe and she wouldn't responded when called just meowed by his chair before tucking herself into a hiding spot that was still visible. She did come around for attention after a little coaxing. Nothing seemed wrong besides the off meow so I figured she missed her pawpaw.

Yesterday she still had that off meow but was much more responsive even seeking out attention. Only now she was drooling and sneezing with some head-shaking but I think that was from drool being fung into her ear from sneezing. But she was moving ok and had a good bit of strength. Then after that she just disappeared on me I've looked, I've opened a can of chicken on the off chance she would come out for it but no luck.

She has hidden from me in the past but came out for my dad and that took a month before she let me see her again. None of the other cats are acting as if something wrong with her nor is my dog freaking out. I mean they are concerned about pawpaw but settled down at phone calls. I even tried video call for Sierra and that just got her mad.

How long do I let her hide before I truly start to panic or start to expect the worst. Like I said I have checked in the other rooms but haven't went digg because im afraid of scaring her more or push her into hiding more.

I don't know why she was drooling and sneezing but her eyes looked ok and her mouth looked ok at first guess I want to say stressed induced uri. I plan a vet visit as soon as I can either in person or video but you need the cat in order to do that.

Im just freaking out and Anxiety is sky high right now any advice would be great.

Okay, please find her. Even if she does freak out a little you need to know if she is okay. Then contain her, her litter box, and her food and water dish to a small room until you can get her to a vet.

Even if she is upset over your father's absence, she should still not be drooling or sneezing, nor should her cry have changed. The last part worries me the most. I hope you find her and I hope your dad is okay.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully, its allergies, a routine cold/virus or something else thats nbd. However, I agree with jefferd18 jefferd18 -- drooling and sneezing isn't being upset about your dad, the cat has *something* going on. Are you able to take the cat to the vet once you find her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this comes out weird I apologize I tried to quote but don't think it worked.

Jeffered18
I could be wrong about her meow being off. hers is very different from the rest and she not much of a Meower to begin with. I have been thinking of putting her in a crate once I find her. I don't have a lockable room to use. I do worry that it could stress her out more to be separated from the other cats.

Art
My hope is that its just allergies or a simple uri. As for getting her to the vet that going to depend on transportation and if they have openings but it should be do able

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
If this comes out weird I apologize I tried to quote but don't think it worked.

Jeffered18
I could be wrong about her meow being off. hers is very different from the rest and she not much of a Meower to begin with. I have been thinking of putting her in a crate once I find her. I don't have a lockable room to use. I do worry that it could stress her out more to be separated from the other cats.

Art
My hope is that its just allergies or a simple uri. As for getting her to the vet that going to depend on transportation and if they have openings but it should be do able

Just hit the reply button under the comment you want to reply to. :)

Thank you for replying back and filling us in more. I hope everything is okay.

Have you been able to find her? It sounds like she is in some kind of physical distress, so yes, a vet is the way to go. Also another sign of an ill cat is one who wants hide away from everything and everybody. It could be as simple as just getting her on some kind of antibiotics and pain meds.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just hit the reply button under the comment you want to reply to. :)

Thank you for replying back and filling us in more. I hope everything is okay.

Have you been able to find her? It sounds like she is in some kind of physical distress, so yes, a vet is the way to go. Also another sign of an ill cat is one who wants hide away from everything and everybody. It could be as simple as just getting her on some kind of antibiotics and pain meds.
Oh here I thought you had to hit quote im such a big dummy my nerves are shot so bad im shaking.

7 of these guys are rescues as in they went straight from the site to our home and the girls had recurring uri. Sierra is our adopted cat she was just close in age to the girls.

My biggest issue is Sierra will actively hide from me and stay hidden usually dad here and she come out for him.

I did check her over yesterday as soon as I thought something was wrong Friday night I checked her over. She was drinking and aware of her food so I didn't push there was no drooling or sneezing. Saturday afternoon she was laying on the couch meowed for attention and actually came over to me. So I felt better because she was coming to me. I then noticed some wetness wiped it off figured she got into water. It didn't reappear but I noticed her leg was wet and I started to think uh oh what's going. Brought her over and began checking her over again and she didn't like that fought me a bit but I do regular checks on the girls since having then from 4wks old with mama and sierra 9wks they don't fight it to much. Ever thing looked ok. At that point I suspected drooling but there was no new drool since I wiped her the first time. At that point she got upset and jumped away because she was long done with being handled. That's when she sneezed and drooled it was like two or three sneezes and that was it. I went to check her and she let me hold and cuddle her for her normal amount of time so a minute and half. Then she sat back on the couch meowing because I had the dog crated.

So I left her be while I tried to find a vet that could give me advice until I could get her in. That's when she disappeared I left to let Brady out and to google vets contact a few friends for advice. Im pretty much stranded right now. I didn't think anything of her disappearing because she often spends times in the back rooms. But now she not coming when called and while im looking im also allergic to the cats so I can only be in their areas for limited time.

So I haven't found her yet and I don't know how to take that. Dad says she normally doesn't hide just hangs out in one of the rooms. But it comes back to she doesn't hide from him she does me.

Please don't think I don't care or that im not taking your guys advice. I honestly care and love her and im looking and finding everybody but who im looking for.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Hang in there, and you're no dummy I promise :)

I copied this from a TCS article, maybe something will help;

If Kitty is food motivated, think about what her trigger is. She may come running at the sound of the can opener or the rattle of a foil treat bag. Canned tuna, warmed, will get a cat’s attention too. If those things fail, start a search. Go room to room and close the door as you search. You don’t want Kitty to walk out behind you as you look under the bed. If you’re sure you’ve searched thoroughly, close the door when you come out too. That way Kitty can’t go into a room you’ve searched while you’re in the next one.

In bedrooms, check the underside of the mattress. Torn fabric may give away Kitty’s hideaway. The same goes for recliners, chairs and other furniture she could get under and into. Check the closets—cats like dark spaces. Don’t miss the shelves—high places are favorites too. Mimi3908, a TCS forum member, says if a cat’s head can fit in a space, his whole body will.

Cats are the silent type when hiding so if Kitty is in seclusion, how would you know if she’s coming out while you’re asleep? Ritz, another TCS member, suggests sprinkling baby powder around any crawl spaces or openings where Kitty could have gone. Telltale paw prints will give away her hiding place.

Check dresser drawers too, especially if they are the kind that roll shut on their own. One cat lover nearly fainted when opening the underwear drawer (second from the top) and an angry furball hurled herself out. Getting in was easier than getting out.

Just in case, put a small dish of food and water in each room. You’ll be able to tell if she’s come out to eat.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about playing it safe and taking her to the vet. She probably just has a cold.

Please do not put her in a crate! I suggest a bedroom or if you must, a bathroom. I would also give her a box on it’s side with her cat bed in it or a folded towel. That way she can feel safe & hidden ..... while you will know exactly where she is hiding.

About her cry, cats have many different meows.Whenever we are taking them to the vet, each cat will try out 3-5 different types of meows to see which meow is the magical key that gets them out of the car. They are quite calm & quiet on the way home, the little stinkers! 😉

Missing her human has to be stressing her out badly! I would try giving her some super catnip (that has catnip & silvervine in it.) Feliway is hit and miss on if it will work. 1/2 the time feliway diffusers work great.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While I haven't found Sierra yet my dad got out of the hospital and is picking up a few cans of cat food. Sierra could care less about human or fishy foods but loves wet so hopefully that pop will have her coming out.

Im not to concerned about her meow because like someone said they can use different meows. For instance Sami coos or chirps and uses a soft meow unless extremely mad then she got a meow like her daddy. Most of out cats are fine in the car and at the vet. Not Ally she screams none stop on the way there, during the appointment and all the way home.

If I don't have to hunt her down she won't get crated but I don't have a lockable room to place her in right now. If I could lock the cat room I would but I can't so crating is a last resort but its a large dog crate with plenty of room.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So glad to hear your dad is out of the hospital!
Hopefully that brings your hidey cat out and you can see what's up with her :)

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear your dad is out of the hospital!
Hopefully that brings your hidey cat out and you can see what's up with her :)
Yes its good to have him home and it takes some of the pressure off. Right now we are trying to remain calm and let her realize that he actually home and its not just his voice. I'm wondering if the video call and phone calls didn't freak her out.

Everybody else has quickly came out once they heard his voice just no Sierra. Yet but he only been home for half an hour and we haven't done food yet.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad your father is home from the hospital and is doing well. Have you seen Sierra yet?

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things are better today. Dad been stalked by the tabby's he isn't allowed anywhere on his own.

Sierra has not been caught yet but she has come out to drink so we at least know she alive. I have called my vet and once I catch her they said to crate her until I can get in. As long as she doing things on her own they don't want to push anything on her.

Now that I know she alive (I always jump to worst case) and hasn't made an escape (was 99% sure she hadn't but there was that 1% chance). We are going to try some canned food as a lure. When she wants to hide she can hide. Im pretty sure now that she in the front room which happens to be our storage room. So that going to be fun it a huge room with lots of hiding spots. Sorry im rambling but just having her spotted is such a relief and with her walking and running around ok that tells me while she diff not feeling good its most likely not life threatening. I can handle a uri or dental issues but I can't handle her dieing

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Caught her tonight she is acting more like herself tonight. So she set up with a bed, litter pan, water and just a little pate with chicken broth. I'll give her some regular food in the morning.