Help....having Issues Trying To Indroduce A Stray To My Other Cats

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had many many cats over the years ....more than one most of my life....I've never had to indroduce a male stray whom I had neutered Friday evening btw....He is separated from my other cats ( 2 females 1 male ) .... and has his own space... He has been in there for about a week now....I do have one dominating female (16 pound )cat...they keep hissing at each other through the door....I have tried to open the door let them smell each other ....it never ends well....I brought the mellow 16 yr old male in the room fed treats it went ok the first time but the second time days later the new cat attacked the older male....when things like this happen I get very discouraged....
A little info on the new cat his name Jack he was a very skinny stray that I couldn't just walk away from..I had to feed him I thought he was going to die he was full of fleas and worms and had a huge abscess on his tail ...I've never seen a cat that thin before....He actually once I brought him in is the sweetest cat...so affectionate to everyone ..even gets along with my 2 Chihuahua's ....he is less than a year old...
I have researched on the steps to take but after Jack attacking my older cat I am feeling very discouraged at the moment ....
Would love to hear any suggestions you ladies have here for me...he is a very sweet cat
Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had many many cats over the years ....more than one most of my life....I've never had to indroduce a male stray whom I had neutered Friday evening btw....He is separated from my other cats ( 2 females 1 male ) .... and has his own space... He has been in there for about a week now....I do have one dominating female (16 pound )cat...they keep hissing at each other through the door....I have tried to open the door let them smell each other ....it never ends well....I brought the mellow 16 yr old male in the room fed treats it went ok the first time but the second time days later the new cat attacked the older male....when things like this happen I get very discouraged....
A little info on the new cat his name Jack he was a very skinny stray that I couldn't just walk away from..I had to feed him I thought he was going to die he was full of fleas and worms and had a huge abscess on his tail ...I've never seen a cat that thin before....He actually once I brought him in is the sweetest cat...so affectionate to everyone ..even gets along with my 2 Chihuahua's ....he is less than a year old...
I have researched on the steps to take but after Jack attacking my older cat I am feeling very discouraged at the moment ....
Would love to hear any suggestions you ladies have here for me...he is a very sweet cat
Thank you

RobKitch94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if what i have to say can help you..but we're going through our first -ever- cat introduction currently..here are some things that i have found to help.
Positive Associate seems to be HUGE
Whenever my resident cat and the new cat saw each other for the first few days, they had a bowl of wet food and a cracked open door between them. They would eat, look up and stare for a second, then eat again.
We originally tried this with dry food, but found it much less enticing than the wet stuff, so that kept their attention towards the food a bit better.
Another thing i have noticed, and have read. Always end any interaction on a high note (as well as possible). If they finish eating their food and are beginning to get a little upset with each other, or showing any negative signs. End that interaction. It seems they remember the bad interactions much more vividly than the good.
Again, we are quite literally in the process of our first introduction. But this is after 4 days...
And they can usually stay out with each other now for around an hour or so.
Hopefully something i said can lend some aid to you. Best of luck!
eating.jpg