Help! Have To Keep Pregnant Stray Safe In Outside Crate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, cover it with a towel. Only use the shower curtain when it rains. She will definitely want to feel secure. Leave the front uncovered though.
Ok she’s in her cage and seems to like it cuz she’s acting normal, just laying down. She didn’t seem to care for the box so I just left the towel. Also put up the cover so the air flows. She seems fine. :)

Attachments

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is that a carport she's under?
I don’t have a carport, unfortunately. She’s right in front of the sliding doors so I can see her all the time.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you going to try to find homes for mom and kittens after they are fixed?

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you going to try to find homes for mom and kittens after they are fixed?
I will but it’s highly doubtful anyone will take them. There’s a lot of TNR in Miami cuz most people don’t care for cats. We’re at the point where not even rescues will take them. Even the city won’t unless the cat is dying. There’s a free roam law for cats. Can’t even give them away, even kittens. :(

Oh and she bit me this morning lol. I’ve gotten worse before but I was like....ow. . She’s been chill all day/night. Hasn’t tried to get out or complain at all. Just wants me to pet her, which I’ve been doing. But then I went to get the litter box out to clean and that’s when she bit me. Then she was right back purring and wanting me to pet her. Pregnancy mood swings. Just like my sister in law when she was pregnant lol

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What will you do with the kittens if you can’t find homes?
Release them and the mom in my backyard. I’m thinking of using the cage as a house with towels, etc so they can come in when it rains, etc. She seems to like it back here and one of my cats is trying to talk to her thru the sliding door.

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. Back to let everyone know we just woke up to cat mom having had 3 adorable kittens! I think she doesn’t like towels cuz she took out one and is only laying on the other. I’m going to try and change the one she’s on. I’m thinking the kittens would like the softness better even though mom, so far, prefers just the cardboard.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I bet they are adorable.PLEASE try to neuter and spay all involved before releasing them, or you will have cats coming out your ears! I had one feral mama that had 17 kittens in one year, and then imagine HER babies starting in! Kittens can be fixed at two pounds, and mama can get pregnant again two weeks after birth,while still nursing, mine did! Don't condemn them to a life of misery. Oh and watch the sun if they are outside, they can overheat quickly, small babies can't regulate their temps. All the luck to you!

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I bet they are adorable.PLEASE try to neuter and spay all involved before releasing them, or you will have cats coming out your ears! I had one feral mama that had 17 kittens in one year, and then imagine HER babies starting in! Kittens can be fixed at two pounds, and mama can get pregnant again two weeks after birth,while still nursing, mine did! Don't condemn them to a life of misery. Oh and watch the sun if they are outside, they can overheat quickly, small babies can't regulate their temps. All the luck to you!
No worries. We always spay/neuter all strays we catch. They are definitely not leaving without getting surgery. We may even have an entire room for them in the next month since my aunt is leaving. :)

Thanks so much everyone! I’m attaching a picture. Still waiting for mom to stop feeding so I can change her towel. I’m just staring out my patio door since I have them right here.

Attachments

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds great! Bless you for taking her in!
Thanks! On the not so fun side, she bit me again. lol

This morning she was fine with me changing her water/etc and wanting me to pet her. Now she bit me when I went to change her water. Her mood swings are killing me

And then afterwards she wants me to pet her

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be WAY overstimulated right now, with the kittens and the hormones. I think she is really scared and doesn't know what to do!

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may be WAY overstimulated right now, with the kittens and the hormones. I think she is really scared and doesn't know what to do!
She seems to be relaxed. Tries really hard to get me to pet her. Maybe she’s mad I won’t? I want her to be with the babies so I’m trying not to be so much with her. She even sees me walking near her and she gets up to come over and rub herself on my legs. Which is what she does when I open the crate.

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is starved for love and attention. Poor little girl, she has been through a lot. I'm so thankful she found you!
Yeah she’s always been friendly with us and everyone that comes over. I wish someone would adopt her and her babies. :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You never know, I thought the same thing. Our shelter is full, and no one wants a cat. btu I put the latest stray in the paper, saying I would leave money at the vet to have her spayed, and that she was abandoned, I hated paying that much money, 25.00 for an ad, but it worked! She found a good home with an elderly couple. They said abandoned tugged at their hearts. Don't ever give money to anyone for spaying, it never gets done!

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You never know, I thought the same thing. Our shelter is full, and no one wants a cat. btu I put the latest stray in the paper, saying I would leave money at the vet to have her spayed, and that she was abandoned, I hated paying that much money, 25.00 for an ad, but it worked! She found a good home with an elderly couple. They said abandoned tugged at their hearts. Don't ever give money to anyone for spaying, it never gets done!
Yeah we get the spaying for free because my mom qualifies at this one vet. She’s disabled and meets their requirements. That’s where we always take cats and kittens. They are really nice and help everyone that does TNR

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah we get the spaying for free because my mom qualifies at this one vet. She’s disabled and meets their requirements. That’s where we always take cats and kittens. They are really nice and help everyone that does TNR
That's good! One less thing to worry about. I usually get any kittens I take in vaccinated and spayed or neutered, then ask whoever adopts them for a re-homing fee to cover the costs. Of course it never does cover all you spend on them, but at least asking for a re-homing fee weeds out the less desirable adopters.

It does sound like she's over-stimulated and a bit wary because of having such tiny kittens. Have you tried petting her with something? Like an old t-shirt wrapped around a wooden spoon? Cats prefer fleece to toweling, do you have an old sweatshirt she could lie on?