Help! Have To Keep Pregnant Stray Safe In Outside Crate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's good! One less thing to worry about. I usually get any kittens I take in vaccinated and spayed or neutered, then ask whoever adopts them for a re-homing fee to cover the costs. Of course it never does cover all you spend on them, but at least asking for a re-homing fee weeds out the less desirable adopters.

It does sound like she's over-stimulated and a bit wary because of having such tiny kittens. Have you tried petting her with something? Like an old t-shirt wrapped around a wooden spoon? Cats prefer fleece to toweling, do you have an old sweatshirt she could lie on?
I didn’t think about that. Great idea! I’m going to try that spoon/shirt idea. It really seems like she really wants my attention. :)

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Haven’t been online since I don’t have time looking after my mom who is sick. Sorry! Just wanted to ask if I should get the kittens spayed yet?

They were born February 4 so it’s been 6 weeks? Is that too soon?

They are doing great, already eating and playing a lot. Thanks!

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can be spayed and neutered as early as 8 weeks, or when they hit 2 pounds.

Sorry to hear about your mom!

Have you tried to look for homes for the kittens, for after their surgeries?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Normally kittens are spayed at 8 weeks or 2 pounds, so very soon! If your vet will do it now then go ahead.

Mama kitty will be spayed too, right?

They are adorable! Do they get time outside the crate to play in your home?

If not, the sooner they are fixed and re-homed the better. Do you have homes lined up?

Thanks for checking in! :)

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! The mom will be spayed too. So far we haven’t found anybody to take them but we’re looking. I play with them outside because my indoor cats are sick so I can’t bring them inside. They are adorable:)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is wrong with your indoor cats?

And have you tried putting ads up with your vet and local rescues? You’re going to have a problem soon when these babies are too big to stay in a crate and too young to be outside on their own.

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is wrong with your indoor cats?

And have you tried putting ads up with your vet and local rescues? You’re going to have a problem soon when these babies are too big to stay in a crate and too young to be outside on their own.
I have two that have FIV so they are separated from the rest, one that’s always sick cuz of old age and bad immune system and the other 3 have recurring upper respiratory problems...right now I’m treating them all. They are all strays I’ve picked up so they’ve all had these issues for always.

So vet said not to bring kittens and mom inside because of these issues.

Yeah, I’m looking for nokill shelters and adoption rescues too. Cats don’t fare well down here so just giving them away to strangers off the street is a big no for us.

I’ve had a couple friends of friends over and they’ve wanted a kitten but found out both of them have gotten rid of their cats for ridiculous read. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once you get the mama and kittens vaccinated they can mingle with your cats.

I applaud you for not giving them to just anyone.