Help! Going On Vacation For 6 Days Away From My Cat

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! My boyfriend and I will be going on vacation for six days. I’m nervous to leave my cat in the apartment. We live with my boyfriends brother and we’ve left on vacation before but every time we come back the litter is FILTHY, her food and water bowl were gross, and he closed the door on her and kept her in there. I was not happy at all. I suggested bringing my cat to my mom while we’re away this time, I know her and my brother will take really good care of her, clean her litter box and interact with her. My boyfriend on the other hand thinks she’s better to be in a familiar place. SIDE NOTE: we’re currently treating her UTI and I argue that when we leave she won’t be cared for properly and things might get worse. He’s a little concerned because my mom has a small shihtzu. But she’s very good. What are your opinions? My cat has also seen my mom a couple of times, held her and my cat seems to be okay. Thanks in advance!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Could you hire a pet sitter to stop by your apartment to check in for those days? If you call over to your vet’s office, they might be able to recommend someone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you hire a pet sitter to stop by your apartment to check in for those days? If you call over to your vet’s office, they might be able to recommend someone.
That’s a good idea, but we’re trying not to spend money. We just spent $350 yesterday at the vet :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is your mom close enough to stop in?
An uncleaned litterbox and unwashed dishes are not going to help a UTI heal.
Even if the shitzu is a problem in any way, and I'll bet your mom will figure out something to take care of it, in my opinion that stress is less harmful than a bacteria laden litterbox, never mind your b i l missing any meds that are being given.

Hang in there!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your mom is more likely to give her her medicine and meals on time in a quiet place. I suspect your mom is inclined to keep the box and the cat's room clean. As Furballsmom Furballsmom says this is particularly important when recovering from a uti. As long as kit has a room where she can be away from the little dog, she should be fine.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found your previous thread about the uti. It is important that kit continue to get her medicine on time. If she doesn't she may have a relapse and the second round of medicine may not work as well due to the messed up dosing before. I think your mother is much better able to handle this than your BF's brother who was careless about the litter box.

BTW Skipping cleaning the litter box every day is one of the fastest ways to make a cat avoid using the box. You don't want to encourage that. I know, I read the other thread. ;)

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can totally understand where your boyfriend is coming from, but missed medications/ improper dosage and unclean litter boxes/ dishes could exasperate the issue and end up costing you more in the long run. A week is a long time to neglect those things. Your peace of mind and your cat's health would be money well spent if you can find a reliable sitter to watch over things. If that is not an option for you at this time, my personal inclination would be to take the cat to your mom's and let her handle it. It will be far less stressful IMO for the cat to adjust to new (but clean) surroundings vs her own temporarily deteriorated environment + the possibility of lingering illness and/or an additional vet trip. Your mom could also isolate the cat in a comfortable room where she can have peace and quiet while she recovers.