Help Getting Gi Lymphoma Cat To Eat

siamesecat108

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Siamese cat was diagnosed with probable IBD or lymphoma back in mid-July. I opted to not do an ultrasound or biopsy because she is almost 17 years old and very thin. X-rays showed a mass in two loops of her small intestines.

She started taking prednisolone and cerenia and things were going great; she started eating well again, no vomiting, put on weight, was more active, and grooming again. After a few weeks we tapered off the cerenia and started only giving as needed, and tapered down the pred (as per the vet’s instruction). About three weeks ago she gradually started eating a little less and less until two weeks ago she stopped eating almost completely and started having a bit of diarrhea.

Since then my cat will still hardly eat at all. The diarrhea has calmed down a bit, but on her own she will only eat 2-3 little bites of food a day. I tried feeding her different new foods, adding bone broth on top of her food, feeding her baby food (plain chicken/turkey or pumpkin purée). I syringe feed her a little, but it still isn’t enough. She fights me and seems miserable when I use the syringe. I work full-time and I feel terrible because I can’t be there with her all day to syringe-feed her more frequently.

What she’s receiving now, daily:
- prednisolone
- cerenia (anti-nausea)
- mirtazapine (appetite stimulant)
- subcutaneous fluids

Other notes:
- She has had hyperthyroid for a few years and used to receive methimazole twice daily, but the vet told me to stop giving that for now because it could make her eat less.
- She’s a former diabetic, in remission since 2013, no longer insulin dependent.
- She is probably going to start an opioid painkiller today or tomorrow, per the vet’s advice.

My vets are pretty certain now that she has GI lymphoma and that the mass (or masses) in her intestines have grown.

What can I do to make her eat a substantial enough amount? I don’t want to give up on her. What is there left to try? Her 17th birthday is in 6 days and I want her to make it and be well again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siamesecat108

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention: her weight is 5.5 lbs now down from 6.8 lbs.

One of her kidneys is enlarged and the vet suspects possible chronic renal failure. Three days ago the vet gave her antibiotics just incase she could have a kidney infection, but her temp was normal.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and your furbaby are going thru this :hugs:.

Is there any change since you originally posted this? Did she start up on pain killers? Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for how to get her to eat, other than what you've already tried. I've never had a cat with Lymphoma, but I HAVE had three kidney cats, and I know that kidney cats often don't want to eat, and it's a battle to get food into them. Sometimes mirtazipine works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on had bad they feel. And, like you, I tried many new foods, made home made bone broth, tried every topper I could think of, and sometimes nothing worked.

If, after you try the pain killers, she still is not eating, you might ask if you could try a different appetite enhancer. But if that doesn't work, you may need to have a heart to heart with your Vet about her overall quality of life and what will happen if she continues down this road :frown: Of course you love her and want her to live and be well again, but if it's Lymphoma, that may not happen :alright:. And you do not want her to suffer either. There is always chemo, which cats handle better than their humans, generally, but first you would need to know if that is a viable solution for her age and condition, and what it will buy her.

I wish I had something better for you. Maybe someone else will come along and have some suggestions.

In the meantime, here are a couple of threads that might be helpful:

New Appetite Stimulant

Small Cell Lymphoma (recently Diagnosed Kitty) (post #18 lists several toppers that might help)

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siamesecat108

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and your furbaby are going thru this :hugs:.

Is there any change since you originally posted this? Did she start up on pain killers? Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for how to get her to eat, other than what you've already tried. I've never had a cat with Lymphoma, but I HAVE had three kidney cats, and I know that kidney cats often don't want to eat, and it's a battle to get food into them. Sometimes mirtazipine works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on had bad they feel. And, like you, I tried many new foods, made home made bone broth, tried every topper I could think of, and sometimes nothing worked.

If, after you try the pain killers, she still is not eating, you might ask if you could try a different appetite enhancer. But if that doesn't work, you may need to have a heart to heart with your Vet about her overall quality of life and what will happen if she continues down this road :frown: Of course you love her and want her to live and be well again, but if it's Lymphoma, that may not happen :alright:. And you do not want her to suffer either. There is always chemo, which cats handle better than their humans, generally, but first you would need to know if that is a viable solution for her age and condition, and what it will buy her.

I wish I had something better for you. Maybe someone else will come along and have some suggestions.

In the meantime, here are a couple of threads that might be helpful:

New Appetite Stimulant

Small Cell Lymphoma (recently Diagnosed Kitty) (post #18 lists several toppers that might help)

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! On Tuesday I did start giving my cat buprenex painkiller. She seems more comfortable and less miserable since, but is still hardly eating on her own. I’ve gotten a little better at spoon/syringe feeding, and my mother is helping out and feeding her while I am at work.

I asked my vet about chemo and she said for her it is not an option. I was worried she’s suffering too much but my vet said she doesn’t think it’s time to let her go yet. She said to keep trying everything I’m doing and see where the cat is at in a week or two. I am so happy to have some more time with her and get all the cuddles and purrs I can while I still have her. We grew up together - I got her when I was 8 years old and I’m 24 now - and she truly is my best friend and losing her will be the most heartbreaking thing. If things turn much worse, I know I’ll have to put her out of her suffering, but for now I’m going to keep trying to manage pain, keep her hydrated, and get more food into her.

Thank you for those links - I will ask my vet about alternative appetite stimulants and will read about those toppers! Really appreciate it!