Help Getting A Cat In A Carrier For A Trip To The Vet!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: And thank you for rescuing that poor little kitty. :catrub:

Is she/was she a feral? Can you touch her normally? That will make a difference, to some degree. At least with her being mad at you.

I've had Ruby, my non-feral lap kitty, for just over 4 years, and she still HATES being picked up or restrained in any way. The first time trying to get her into the cat carrier for her vet appointment took many attempts and left both of us stressed. And me scratched, though thankfully no ER required. ;)

When I told the vet about the struggle to get Ruby in the carrier, she suggested a method that miraculously works.

Put the carrier up high, like on a counter. Have it right at the edge, with the end door open. Then (this is the hard part) pick up cat and point it directly into the open door of the carrier. Because they are up high, they have nowhere to go except into the carrier to turn around. Once cat is inside, close the door.

I know that sounds easier than it actually is. But it does work! The getting the cat inside part, at least. The hard part for me is picking Ruby up. She squirms and wiggles, with all 4 legs (and claws) flying in different directions! So what I do, is put on a heavy jacket to protect my arms and body from claws. And I put on a pair of sunglasses to protect my eyes. Course I do hold her out as far from my body as I can.

This method really works. Instead of chasing her around the house trying to a) catch her and b) then get her in the carrier, and then doing it again and again, the shock of being picked up and pointed towards the carrier opening results in getting her in the carrier in less than a minute. Last appointment we arrived early!

It may not work for you, but it's definitely worth a try. Good luck.
DING DING DING! This sounds almost like the method I first used. The second time I took Gypsy to the vet I was very scared and did LOTS of research. She still was a part time stray and had chewed her way almost out of the cardboard top loading carrier I used the first time! We had to throw a small quilt over the rapidly being shredded cardboard and putting it into a laundry basket with a towel thrown over all, with me holding it in the car. Made a rather embarrassing arrival for 1st vet visit. Since I really didn't know if she would bite or scratch I bought a hard case carrier, didn't know to get a top loader, and started researching getting her loaded. After many scary videos I ran across this one, rather anticlimactic after a few of them, but boy! did it work! It's on youtube called Blind Superman Technique, Aug 29, 2012 - Uploaded by Frederick Cat Vet. Sorry I can't get a direct link. Now-a-days we just pick her up and drop her into her top loading soft carrier with no fuss. Shes such a good girl. Good luck!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's on youtube called Blind Superman Technique, Aug 29, 2012 - Uploaded by Frederick Cat Vet. Sorry I can't get a direct link.
I was curious, so I searched and found the video. It's very similar to what my vet suggested, except with non-docile kitties like my Ruby, and the kitty in this thread, I don't think the covering the eyes method is do-able.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This reminds me of the way I used to carry my former cat, "K.C."

I used to simply zip him up in a knapsack and sling him over my shoulder like a bookbag.
I would leave a few inches of the zipper unzipped so that K.C. could poke his nose out when he wanted.

Back then, I lived in the city and had to take the subway to get to the vet's office. K.C. would poke his head out every so often in order to take in the view but, otherwise, he was content to just hang out in his bag.

It turned out to be a great way to meet girls! ;)
I was strap-hanging my way to the vet's office, one day, when this girl got on at the next stop. Just then, K.C. poked his head out and said, "Meow." "Oh! Look at the cute kitty," said the girl!

After that, I would take K.C. out for walks. He used to like it and, besides, it's not every day that you get to have your cat be your Wing Man!

...But that was thirty years ago. :rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jivasaktipearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: And thank you for rescuing that poor little kitty. :catrub:

Is she/was she a feral? Can you touch her normally? That will make a difference, to some degree. At least with her being mad at you.

I've had Ruby, my non-feral lap kitty, for just over 4 years, and she still HATES being picked up or restrained in any way. The first time trying to get her into the cat carrier for her vet appointment took many attempts and left both of us stressed. And me scratched, though thankfully no ER required. ;)

When I told the vet about the struggle to get Ruby in the carrier, she suggested a method that miraculously works.

Put the carrier up high, like on a counter. Have it right at the edge, with the end door open. Then (this is the hard part) pick up cat and point it directly into the open door of the carrier. Because they are up high, they have nowhere to go except into the carrier to turn around. Once cat is inside, close the door.

I know that sounds easier than it actually is. But it does work! The getting the cat inside part, at least. The hard part for me is picking Ruby up. She squirms and wiggles, with all 4 legs (and claws) flying in different directions! So what I do, is put on a heavy jacket to protect my arms and body from claws. And I put on a pair of sunglasses to protect my eyes. Course I do hold her out as far from my body as I can.

This method really works. Instead of chasing her around the house trying to a) catch her and b) then get her in the carrier, and then doing it again and again, the shock of being picked up and pointed towards the carrier opening results in getting her in the carrier in less than a minute. Last appointment we arrived early!

It may not work for you, but it's definitely worth a try. Good luck.
No I don’t believe that she was feral. Normally she is very loving and affectionate with me and the same to other people (although it does take her some time to warm up to new persons). She is actually kinda a snuggle junkie it seems and will make every effort to get up onto my lap/shoulder as soon as you have even started acted like you are going to sit down.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think the 'Blind Superman Technique would work for you. I suggest watching the video and then giving it a try. Let us know how it goes. What is your girls name?

jivasaktipearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:rbheart:Hi, both Caspers Human Caspers Human and rubysmama rubysmama have very good ideas. Something I don't know whether it's been mentioned or not, and I always have good intentions but never get it done, is to do the carrier/car ride on multiple occasions aside/apart from an actual vet visit. Down the street, around the block etc, and one major thing here is that if you do this, you're naturally going to be a lot less stressed since there's no time deadline of an appointment looming over you. This might work for you-all considering you commented that she doesn't actually mind the vet visit itself. Best of luck! :rbheart: :gingercat:
I would love to be able to do this. I live a far distance away from any close family and would like to be able to bring her with me when I go back home versus having to have pet sitters, etc.

It’s just always been such a tramatic event (for both her and me) getting in the carrier thus far that I’m fairly hesitant about trying to do it on more frequent basis.

jivasaktipearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really think the 'Blind Superman Technique would work for you. I suggest watching the video and then giving it a try. Let us know how it goes. What is your girls name?
Her name is Dobby (from Harry Potter) due to her love of hoarding socks. (Seriously she is worse than my dryer about making socks disappear.)

And I will definitely be looking into that technique!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
By the way, assuming she has all her claws, have you tried putting claw caps on? I'm iffy about them personally, but in your case that might help to decrease your tension regarding all this if you knew you were a bit less at risk for shredding.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... Dobby's beautiful. :bigeyes:
Good luck with her vet visit. Let us know how it goes.

jivasaktipearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way, assuming she has all her claws, have you tried putting claw caps on? I'm iffy about them personally, but in your case that might help to decrease your tension regarding all this if you knew you were a bit less at risk for shredding.
She does have all of her claws. And I have never actually heard of claw caps before. Something I might have to look into.