Help! Getting a barn kitty!!

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is where this goes, but...yeah. If I should move it let me know.

So I mentioned that Mom has been wanting a new cat, since our last yard cat passed. Our setup is pretty simple, we have our house and garage (with doggy door) on about 8 acres total, including a barn that has horse stalls separated from the main inside area. That big inner area is mostly my dad's domain, where he keeps his tools and 4wheelers and whatnots. He builds things, haha. Our house is pretty set off from the road, no neighbors beside us, just pasture and woods behind and around us. We have 3 med/large dogs outside, all very friendly and generally good with cats. One of them (the only indoor/outdoor dog) can get playful, but the other two could care less.

So, at the dairy there is this kitten that my friend snatched for me, since the kittens don't tend to last very long out there. It's really cute, no clue how old, but we are taking it now because there's no telling how much longer it will last there.

Now my question is....

How do I get it acclimated to the new situation? It's gonna be an hour away from the dairy, so it's not like it can tell that its close and try to run back. I don't want it to freak out, it's used to cows but I don't know if they let dogs out there or not. I don't want it to freak out and run off. We'll put it in the house for now but that is not where it is going to stay. It can come inside from time to time, but probably live mostly outside. Would it be better to put it in the barn and lock it up? What should we do?

also, picture!!!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you rescued this poor baby.

First off, I would have the kitten checked out by a vet and be sure it is healthy and get an age on it. Is she (I will call her she) a male or female? Either way, have her spayed or neuterd, which ever the case is.

I would definately not put her out in the barn yet. This is a new barn kitten, not a cat yet and cannot protect herself. She may very well freak and run off if not used to dogs. Can you ask your friend who snatched her if there are loose dogs about the farm?

She will need shots to protect from rabies and a host of other nasty illnesses. I would take her for daily walks about the property, show her the cows, dogs and whatever else might be around. Slowly acclimate her to the surroundings..I would not just put her out there and lock her up. There are many, many dangerous things for a kitten to get into, motors for example and pesticides, under a cows foot. I would not be able to sleep at night worrying about her. Not to mention wild animals, coons, foxes, coyotes etc.

I am sad that the kitten will not be an indoor cat. As you said in the post, cats do not last around barns too long. This may happen to you. You have rescued her so I would ask you to consider having her be an inside cat. It would be a shame to go through all the above and let her out and never see her again.

She is a darling. You have a sweet kitten. I hope she is safe.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before she goes to live outdoors, IMO, she needs bare minimum full set of distemper shots (initial shot, booster, then wait a week). If your vet will fix her yet, do so. If she's going to be outdoors, she needs to be fixed by 4 months so there is no chance of an accidental litter.

I have outdoor/barn/farm cats. They're all fixed. I've brought new (adults) in. Always keep them contained for at least a week so they adjust to where home is. Then start a slow introduction to the other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hehe, it's currently gender neutral kitty, as it will be fixed whatever it may be, and mom tends to refer to all cats as girls anyway.
It'll be indoor outdoor, though primarily outdoor. I wouldn't throw it out at the cow barn where they are subject to all sorts of wildlife and such, but this will be more of a "garage cat" haha. That's where they will most likely be feeding it and there are lots of good shelves and boxes and all sorts of hidey places. But the garage is constantly open to the outside world unless we prop something up in front of the dog door, so it'll be able to go out and about and see the horse barn and such.
Will be giving it shots and such, as well as getting it fixed, for certain though. I'm pretty good about that, I've only had one cat unfixed and well, we couldn't catch him and he only showed up every once in a while. Very aloof feral, and the friendlier barn cats kept getting caught in the trap instead of him.

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you put the kitten out there now he might not know it's his new home and run away. You should acclimate him to indoors areas first.

Like others said get him to a vet and have him checked out. He is shaping up to be a beautiful kitty. Seal point longhair!!! He looks about 8 or 9 weeks old from the photo, though it was hard to tell.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cutie! If it were me, I'd make a place in the barn for your new kitty where it can be safe unsupervised as it's learning the new place. That will give it some security. For a cat that's going to be an outside cat, I think it's easier for them to start there. Somehow I've got the idea that they learn potential dangers better that way and are better equipped to survive. I'm sure there are others who know better than me though and I hope they'll come offer you their advice as well.