Help From The Afterlife ?

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ten days ago I lured a tiny feral kitten to me, scooped him up and got him in the car. I then spent a week trying to find him. I took my car apart where I could, left the hatchback open with food and water inside, looked at the engine from above and below, and spent hours re-walking the path from the feral colony to my condo. I began leaving food and water in a specific spot in the bushes outside my building

Five days ago I spotted him as he zipped away. Three days ago, I saw him again. I've made two attempts with two different traps to catch him, with no luck.

I "inherited" my father's cat five years ago after my father completed suicide. Cody had been an outside cat all his life, belonging first to my father's neighbor, and then to my dad. He then came to my (full) house where he enjoys the porch, but whines to go outside every night, and when I can, I go out with him after dark.

Tonight, as I went out to check on Cody and bring him in, I saw his shadow next to a parking bumper near my car. And snuggled next to him was the kitten.

It may be true or just a story I'm telling myself, but in that second, I felt as though dad was somewhere nearby guiding the baby to Cody. And seeing them together was a gift that you can't put a price tag on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tnrmakessense tnrmakessense -- So, you now have Cody, plus kitten?
Oh, so many more. Because I've been 30 plus years in a condo that some time ago passed a two pet limit, I'm careful about posting numbers. Thankfully, because Cody is a stoic senior, he's never seemed to mind the many cohabitants.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ten days ago I lured a tiny feral kitten to me, scooped him up and got him in the car. I then spent a week trying to find him. I took my car apart where I could, left the hatchback open with food and water inside, looked at the engine from above and below, and spent hours re-walking the path from the feral colony to my condo. I began leaving food and water in a specific spot in the bushes outside my building

Five days ago I spotted him as he zipped away. Three days ago, I saw him again. I've made two attempts with two different traps to catch him, with no luck.

I "inherited" my father's cat five years ago after my father completed suicide. Cody had been an outside cat all his life, belonging first to my father's neighbor, and then to my dad. He then came to my (full) house where he enjoys the porch, but whines to go outside every night, and when I can, I go out with him after dark.

Tonight, as I went out to check on Cody and bring him in, I saw his shadow next to a parking bumper near my car. And snuggled next to him was the kitten.

It may be true or just a story I'm telling myself, but in that second, I felt as though dad was somewhere nearby guiding the baby to Cody. And seeing them together was a gift that you can't put a price tag on.
This is just beautiful it sounds obvious someone is looking out for the little kitten.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please keep the kitten in your thoughts. He didn't make it. I'll spare everyone the details but I'm feeling as though I failed him and to fail a kitten - there's no redemption for that. I know it's grief and fatigue and I'd never leave all the guys that need me, but I'm in a dark place and really need good thoughts for the little peanut and for me so that I can continue to care for all the guys that are my family. That I'd hoped would be a family for this little guy.

CreamsiclePuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please don't despair so much. You have such a good good heart. That is so apparent.

You know what my initial gut thought was as I was reading your story? I just had the strong feeling that the little guy, the kitten, was destined for another path, and that he was not long for this world. When you said that the older cat was near the baby.. sometimes animals know when something is not long for this world. There are countless stories of animals in care homes for the elderly that will go and sit in the room of one of the residents during their last days, and they do it time and time again. They are never wrong. I think, perhaps, it was just this kittens time. For one reason or another.

Know this.. You are doing amazing and wonderful work caring for those you have. Please be good to yourself. A tear for your pain. A smile for your bright future. I have a good feeling there is a lot of little lives under your care that think the world of you. And that's a pretty special feeling.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please don't despair so much. You have such a good good heart. That is so apparent.

You know what my initial gut thought was as I was reading your story? I just had the strong feeling that the little guy, the kitten, was destined for another path, and that he was not long for this world. When you said that the older cat was near the baby.. sometimes animals know when something is not long for this world. There are countless stories of animals in care homes for the elderly that will go and sit in the room of one of the residents during their last days, and they do it time and time again. They are never wrong. I think, perhaps, it was just this kittens time. For one reason or another.

Know this.. You are doing amazing and wonderful work caring for those you have. Please be good to yourself. A tear for your pain. A smile for your bright future. I have a good feeling there is a lot of little lives under your care that think the world of you. And that's a pretty special feeling.
You have no idea how much that helps to hear. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your reply. It was beautiful and a great comfort. You know, all day I had the feeling that he was no longer here. I hoped I was wrong. I just have to hope that on some level he knew that all the trying to lure him in to different humane traps was because I was trying to get him to safety. I do know that he had all the food he could eat. Whether I could see him or not since the day I brought him home (and he went missing) there was a buffet out for him in the bushes. And I know that he found it because I went to restock one day and he darted away. Two (or three?) nights ago I put out catnip. Another cat that I rescued that refused to be inside was rolling around in it and the baby kept darting at her wanting to play. Two nights ago Cody, my dad's cat, got in the larger humane trap ( I have it rigged with a string) and ate the tuna and I thought surely this is it - the baby will now go in, but no, when Cody got out the baby went bounding after him. Anyway, thank you again for your message. So much.

CreamsiclePuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Imagining you out there with a trap and a string brings back memories. Me and my daughter spent a lot of hours silently waiting patiently with a string in hand.. That method didn't work for us either. All you can do is try, but there sure are no guarantees. How are you and your little animal family doing today?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had a full belly and happy moments. Because of you. I'm sure he thanks you for that.
He also had a friend in cody. I'm so sorry this didn't have a happy ending, You did all you could it just wasn't meant to be so don't be so hard on yourself. My thoughts are with you and the little peanut :alright:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Imagining you out there with a trap and a string brings back memories. Me and my daughter spent a lot of hours silently waiting patiently with a string in hand.. That method didn't work for us either. All you can do is try, but there sure are no guarantees. How are you and your little animal family doing today?
We're hanging in thanks. On a positive note another "feral" I took in a few months ago is now coming to me to be petted, so that's very comforting. Her brother isn't there yet but he entertains me by climbing in the dresser drawer and throwing my underpants all over the floor. Or climbing my clothes like a tree.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He also had a friend in cody. I'm so sorry this didn't have a happy ending, You did all you could it just wasn't meant to be so don't be so hard on yourself. My thoughts are with you and the little peanut :alright:
Thank you so very very much for that. Yes, Cody is a sweet old boy and a good friend to all.

CreamsiclePuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're hanging in thanks. On a positive note another "feral" I took in a few months ago is now coming to me to be petted, so that's very comforting. Her brother isn't there yet but he entertains me by climbing in the dresser drawer and throwing my underpants all over the floor. Or climbing my clothes like a tree.
Never a bored moment with little wildcats around that's for sure. Mine tries to climb my legs like a tree.. and he's a full grown adult. So painful! He's such a ball of trouble haha

CreamsiclePuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's you're Shark Tank key to riches ! Teflon pants !
Haha! I was just watching dragons den yesterday on netflix (it's not quite as good as shark tank but it's a close second, and the only one that's on there right now) I really wish I could come up with something.. It would be so great to make a living being your own boss. It just seems like everything takes so much money in order to make money.