Help! Found kitten, what kind is he?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I see the a few stripes on the leg. Seems to me that ticked coats are just that- ticked- not splotches of color.
A young kitten like this has a fuzzy baby coat without many guard hairs, so you don't expect to see obvious ticking at this age.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
A young kitten like this has a fuzzy baby coat without many guard hairs, so you don't expect to see obvious ticking at this age.

Hopefully the OP will post photos of him when he is older and we can see if he is a calico or a tick-tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BM8341

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm. I see the a few stripes on the leg. Seems to me that ticked coats are just that- ticked- not splotches of color.

View attachment 338079

See the stripes on legs but not a tick coat- just splotches of color.
View attachment 338079
It’s crazy to me how hard it is to identify what kind of cat you have! I see so many pictures of cats that resemble my little Briggs but none that make me go, oh yeah, that’s what he is. I’ll post more pictures as he gets a little bigger and we will see what happens!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I don't believe he has any genetic red. Just warm brown shading.

‐------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the side pics! Yes, I think he must be a ticked tabby or there would be stripes or swirls. He's a real cutie!

red is a color that makes up brown but we will see (hopefully) in photos of him growing up what kind of kitty this handsome guy is.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a brown with white tabby domestic short hair. Brown tabbies can have two different colors of brown in them, light and dark. He is still young so has his kitten fuzz to. My tabby boy/white longhair boy has a mix of warm and darker brown in him to.
2020-05-12 13.25.14.jpg
2020-03-16 12.36.25.jpg
<.. two browns
20181228_175045.jpg
20190109_115114(0).jpg
<.. him as a kitten with brown/red tones very similar to your boy.

Attachments

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Not genetic red :).
Of course, but as I noted in my earlier replies red does not have to play a part at all when it comes to calicos. The OP has been kind enough to agree to posting photos as the baby grows older- lets wait and see then.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a brown with white tabby domestic short hair. Brown tabbies can have two different colors of brown in them, light and dark. He is still young so has his kitten fuzz to. My tabby boy/white longhair boy has a mix of warm and darker brown in him to.View attachment 338080View attachment 338084 <.. two browns
View attachment 338083View attachment 338081 <.. him as a kitten with brown/red tones very similar to your boy.

The kitten in this discussion has a lot of bluish-black to their coat. As he matures I am sure we will be able to see his true self. :) Thank you, BM8341 for giving us all something to think about tonight.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
red does not have to play a part at all when it comes to calicos
. . .A calico is, genetically, red, black, and white. Or it's not a calico. Red is absolutely necessary to a calico. The reason male calicos are rare is that they need to have a chromosomal abnormality to have both (genetic) black and red. So if a male cat doesn't have both (genetic) red and black, he doesn't have a chromosomal abnormality, so he's not rare.

His coloring is rare/unusual but not for calico reasons :D.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not red, I don't see any red.. that is brown lol, you can see it better in these photos. You can see his brown paws as well. He just has lots of black (which is common for a tabby especially on the back of the head) and a lighter brown. Brown tabbies can be a wide variety of browns from warm reddish hues to cool dark brown. His brown will darken as he ages. A calico red is completely different, and he wouldnt be a calico if the extremely rare chance its red, he would be a torbie due to his tabby markings. But to me its just a brown, that might have some reddish hues depending on the lighting like my boy Jethro does.

del.jpeg
del1.jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not red, I don't see any red.. that is brown lol, you can see it better in these photos. You can see his brown paws as well. He just has lots of black (which is common for a tabby especially on the back of the head) and a lighter brown. Brown tabbies can be a wide variety of browns from warm reddish hues to cool dark brown. His brown will darken as he ages. A calico red is completely different, and he wouldnt be a calico if the extremely rare chance its red, he would be a torbie due to his tabby markings. But to me its just a brown, that might have some reddish hues depending on the lighting like my boy Jethro does.

.View attachment 338085View attachment 338090

He's not a brown tick tabby. Actually at this point, he is a kitten. We will see better as he gets older.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
. . .A calico is, genetically, red, black, and white. Or it's not a calico. Red is absolutely necessary to a calico. The reason male calicos are rare is that they need to have a chromosomal abnormality to have both (genetic) black and red. So if a male cat doesn't have both (genetic) red and black, he doesn't have a chromosomal abnormality, so he's not rare.

His coloring is rare/unusual but not for calico reasons :D.

There is way more to them than that. They can have cream or grey patches. They can have stripes- which gives them the name of Caliby. There is also the diluted Calico with is a mixture of blue, cream, and gold.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can have cream or grey patches.
That's shading. Like this kitten has :).
There is also the diluted Calico with is a mixture of blue, cream, and gold.
Yes, blue is the dilute of black and cream is the dilute of red. It's still red/black on the x chromosomes, and a male cat would still need to have a chromosomal abnormality to be a dilute calico (or caliby or tortie/torbie or any other red/black combo).

I would say he's a harlequin pattern with solid spotting, but his face clearly has a lot of tabby shading so the only thing I can think about his body spots is that he's ticked or they'd have stripes/swirls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BM8341

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten in this discussion has a lot of bluish-black to their coat. As he matures I am sure we will be able to see his true self. :) Thank you, BM8341 for giving us all something to think about tonight.
You are very welcome! Haha. It’s something that’s been keeping me up at night doing research as well! 😂

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say he's a harlequin pattern with solid spotting, but his face clearly has a lot of tabby shading so the only thing I can think about his body spots is that he's ticked or they'd have stripes/swirls.
Sometimes a classic tabby can be so dark as a baby that the markings seem to run together, and stripes / swirls are not visible on the back and sides... so it's possible he could turn out to have classic markings. But I think ticked is the most likely pattern too, especially from this view where he appears to have slightly lighter shading / ticking all along his left side and flank:

A499B9B1-7211-4A4F-BB18-730DBCE9194E.jpeg