Help Found A Newborn Kitten!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I'm really struggling to get all the milk in him. He struggles like all hell and cries bloody murder and inevitably spit a lot of milk out. What can I do to make him calm down?? Is his system rejecting the milk??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it could work. Or possibly even have him with you on the job, with a little heating pad or lamp of some sort.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some kittens protest more than others!

To know how much he gets, the safest is to weigh him every day. If he adds 6+ or better still, 10+ grammes a day, good.
If not he gets too little...

There is a relatively new trick To use a little sponge, alike such used for make up. Drench it in kmr, and let him suckle.
Works nicely for some.
And you are near with a dropper or syringe, and adds more on the sponge...

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise

StefanZ StefanZ , regarding working days. I'm thinking to bring the little guy to work but leave him in the car in a sheltered carpark so the car wont heat up. I can sneak away to feed him every 2 to 4 hours. I definitely can't bring him into the office because 1) it's really cold with the AC and 2) it's a super corporate environment. What do you think?
Not to sound mean, but this sounds like a terrible idea.

You're in Malaysia right? I just checked the temp and it ranges around 25-30c currently. Inside a car (even in a sheltered car park) it wouldn't be much different. Unless there's some kind of air conditioning blasting the car park. Or if it is an underground garage. They would get roasted.

Are you able to work from home for a little while? Explain the situation to your bosses/supervisors?

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to sound mean, but this sounds like a terrible idea.

You're in Malaysia right? I just checked the temp and it ranges around 25-30c currently. Inside a car (even in a sheltered car park) it wouldn't be much different. Unless there's some kind of air conditioning blasting the car park. Or if it is an underground garage. They would get roasted.

Are you able to work from home for a little while? Explain the situation to your bosses/supervisors?
The temperature would be around 29-32c. I thought that's ideal temperature for kittens if not on the low end? Did I get it wrong?? I've been leaving him in room temperature with no AC. I'm referring to this link https://ccasnj.org/resources/docs/FosteringKittensInstructions.pdf

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some kittens protest more than others!

To know how much he gets, the safest is to weigh him every day. If he adds 6+ or better still, 10+ grammes a day, good.
If not he gets too little...

There is a relatively new trick To use a little sponge, alike such used for make up. Drench it in kmr, and let him suckle.
Works nicely for some.
And you are near with a dropper or syringe, and adds more on the sponge...
I will try the sponge trick, thanks!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
The temperature would be around 29-32c. I thought that's ideal temperature for kittens if not on the low end? Did I get it wrong?? I've been leaving him in room temperature with no AC. I'm referring to this link https://ccasnj.org/resources/docs/FosteringKittensInstructions.pdf
Yes but there's a difference leaving a kitten in a room with lots of air versus a small car. Even with the windows cracked open it would be like an oven.

Imagine how heavy the air is to breath when you get into the car on a hot day. Now shrink your body 100x.

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parking spot is in an indoor basement of an office building so whenever I get in the car I didn't notice any air difference from the outside of the car. But you're right, I didn't consider his small size. :(

I'll try and think of another option, coz I definitely can't take him to the office.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
My parking spot is in an indoor basement of an office building so whenever I get in the car I didn't notice any air difference from the outside of the car. But you're right, I didn't consider his small size. :(

I'll try and think of another option, coz I definitely can't take him to the office.
An indoor basement car park would actually not be that bad. I would still be worried though, the kitten must be SO TINY.

Is the working from home option possible?

Monotail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be best if you drop this kitten off at a shelter/rescue center, the people there will know how to care for it and will have the time to do so.

If you don't want to give the little one up, maybe you could ask around to see if anybody that you know knows of a nursing mother cat. You may be able to foster the kitten out and reclaim it once it's old enough to be weaned. Would probably be better for the kittens' social development too, bottle babies often have... unusual behaviors thanks to growing up without contact with their own kind.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
It may be best if you drop this kitten off at a shelter/rescue center, the people there will know how to care for it and will have the time to do so.

If you don't want to give the little one up, maybe you could ask around to see if anybody that you know knows of a nursing mother cat. You may be able to foster the kitten out and reclaim it once it's old enough to be weaned. Would probably be better for the kittens' social development too, bottle babies often have... unusual behaviors thanks to growing up without contact with their own kind.
Not sure about Malaysia but Kitten Lady and lots of other articles online highly do not recommend this (for USA). Neonatal kittens are insane amounts of work and shelters are already overflowing with cats. They would just be put to sleep/euthanized. They have the opposite of time to work with the kitten.

You could always call the shelters ahead of time and inquire though!

I do love the idea of a nursing mom cat taking the kitten in though.

Last edited:

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the initial plan was to keep him safe and alive till the shelters open to drop him off. But as said by others that may be a bad idea as they'll just put him to sleep. I will still try to talk to all the shelters and explore my options. But I will need to have a plan if that falls through.

I should be able.to take the rest of the week off, but no more than that. Unfortunately the nature of my job is very face to face so I can't really work from home.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes the initial plan was to keep him safe and alive till the shelters open to drop him off. But as said by others that may be a bad idea as they'll just put him to sleep. I will still try to talk to all the shelters and explore my options. But I will need to have a plan if that falls through.

I should be able.to take the rest of the week off, but no more than that. Unfortunately the nature of my job is very face to face so I can't really work from home.
That’s very nice of you... not a lot of people would be willing to do the same.

When you call the shelters and ask be up front, don’t dance around the question and say “be honest, will this kitten be euthanized if I surrender them?” (in Malay of course lol).

If on the other hand you want to try and find a foster cat mom, post on your local cities classified like what we have here Craigslist/Kijiji.

This little kittens life is entirely in your hands at the moment :).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Just a thought, can you put a thermometer in the car and determine what the temperature is?

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys something's wrong... The kitten seems really weak. He's not struggling or crying for the last feeding. It seems he'd rather sleep. He doesn't feel cool just rather limp.

I'm gonna rub honey on his gums but what else can I do?

On the plus side, he pooped for the first time.

Monotail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys something's wrong... The kitten seems really weak. He's not struggling or crying for the last feeding. It seems he'd rather sleep. He doesn't feel cool just rather limp.

I'm gonna rub honey on his gums but what else can I do?

On the plus side, he pooped for the first time.
Get the kitten to a veterinarian as soon as possible. You could very well lose him overnight if he's as weak as you say that he is. You might very well still lose him even if a vet does attend to him, but at least you'd be giving the little guy a fighting chance.

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heading to the vet now. None were picking up hopefully we can find one that's open. I'm freaking out.

Monotail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heading to the vet now. None were picking up hopefully we can find one that's open. I'm freaking out.
Glad to hear that, good luck. Sorry if I scared you with my... bluntness. But it really is best to be safe rather than sorry when it comes babies. Especially one as young as your little guy!

Take deep breathes, think positively and hope for the best. But prepare yourself for the worst.

Fish Em

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to hear that they are opening. Maybe you can get some more guidance or they can take over the care of the little one. You have so much going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.